Florida Senate approves Daylight Savings all year long

I wonder how this would affect people cruising this November-March that already have travel plans when Florida could be an hour later than Eastern Standard Time. Federal Government still has to approve but it passed 33-2 in Florida

Why would it?

A state may opt out of DST without federal approval but to have it year round Congress must amend the law.

The thing I don’t like as a Florida resident is how late the sun will come up in the morning mid November through mid February. It will have the benefit of having most of Florida having the same clock setting as the Bahamas and eastern Caribbean islands year round.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Congress would have to amend a federal law if Scott signs it

States can chose. Look at changes over the years, Indiana as recent, and Arizona who doesn't even now. Federal Gov't has changed dates for start/end dates of Spring ahead and Fall back. That is normally done when gas prices spike, oil embargo in the 1970's, or as now with the end date being after Halloween for more light later during Trick or Treating...

States can chose. Look at changes over the years, Indiana as recent, and Arizona who doesn't even now. Federal Gov't has changed dates for start/end dates of Spring ahead and Fall back. That is normally done when gas prices spike, oil embargo in the 1970's, or as now with the end date being after Halloween for more light later during Trick or Treating...

States can choose to not have DST at all, as Arizona and Hawaii have done. If they do have DST they must follow the federal standard. What Florida wants to do is have year round DST, effectively making most of the state the same as AST. Such an action will require federal approval.

An additional complication is that the western portion of the Florida panhandle, the part below Alabama, is currently in the Central time zone. If that portion goes to year round DST it would effectively be in EST year round.

States are allowed to stay on standard time. The law doesn't allow all year long daylight time. Unless other states go along, especially Georgia and Alabama, it may not be that easy to get the change made. You can be sure there will be lobbying against it from some transport groups as it will add extra complexity to their schedules. At least they didn't keep what they originally wanted of changing the panhandle to be in eastern time zone also. Would have been a mess to have Pensacola two hours ahead of Mobile for the winter.

A state may opt out of DST without federal approval but to have it year round Congress must amend the law.

The thing I don’t like as a Florida resident is how late the sun will come up in the morning mid November through mid February. It will have the benefit of having most of Florida having the same clock setting as the Bahamas and eastern Caribbean islands year round.

Florida would no longer be in the same time zone in the winter as the Bahamas if it is on permanent Daylight Saving Time. Nassau is normally on Eastern Standard Time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Isn't part of Florida, the panhandle, in central time zone? This sounds really confusing.

Yes, the part that runs below Alabama.

They’re a long way from the rest of us, so we tend to forget that![emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well another place we have to remember how the time will work.

Keith

Time is nothing more than a tool to know when it's 5:00 and happy hour. Outside of that, time is just a way to control in a consistent basis when to show up, start, end, and happy hour. It's just a number. A number the prevents chaos. So if you want to know what time it is, just look at the clock. Use you phone, it will update automatically. One day I got on a plane, and I could have sworn I was sitting in it for 14 hours, but my watch told me it was only 2 hours. Time is just a number.

This would be a disaster. Sunrise in November - January would be around 8:30 AM if the plan to stay on Daylight Savings Time year round does pass.

Can you imagine the impact this would have on the tourist industry in the state? Do people at Disney World or those debarking a cruise ship really want to be in the dark that late?

I would rather see the whole country stick with the normal time, and eliminate Daylight savings time totally.

It's silly, the sun will shine for the same hours no matter what we do with the time, so it is we ourselves that need to adjust our work hours...etc.

I did not think they passed the year round Daylight savings in Florida as a done deal yet? Just introduced?

I would rather see the whole country stick with the normal time, and eliminate Daylight savings time totally.

It's silly, the sun will shine for the same hours no matter what we do with the time, so it is we ourselves that need to adjust our work hours...etc.

I did not think they passed the year round Daylight savings in Florida as a done deal yet? Just introduced?

It passed both chambers. On the way to Governor to sign.

I wonder how this would affect people cruising this November-March that already have travel plans when Florida could be an hour later than Eastern Standard Time.

If a one hour time change will make you miss the ship, you need to rethink your travel schedule. ;)