Would you book a cruise without a flight booked?

dltaeg

I never would, no. But I don't plan that far in advance...I know plenty of people book cruises 18-24 months in advance, but I'm more of a 3-4 month person for vacations so airfare is already available and at a known price. I couldn't justify booking a trip without knowing the price for everything so that I could accurately build my budget.

If I am booking a cruise for next year, I look at current flights for an idea of how many connections I will have. That said, I book all cruises way in advance, before booking any flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Its not the flights to Orlando that are the problem, its the flights to Texas, Fort Lt and Miami :confused:

Miami is served by two international airports, MIA and FLL. There are several nonstop flights each day from various "London area" airport to MIA.

Houston's IAH is typically used for Galveston sailings. Expect to find several nonstop flights each day between the UK and IAH.

Edited by broberts

We are looking at a cruise round the Caribbean next year (May) either from Florida or Texas.

I've tried to get an idea on flights but can currently only book a flight to Orlando (from the UK). I ideally need to book the cruise soon as we need connecting rooms and I know these go quick but have no guarantee there will be any flights on the days we need them to anywhere other than Orlando.

Should I risk booking the cruise now or wait until the flights come out?

I never worry about the flights.....

I never worry about the flights.....

Nor do I. We're sailing in four weeks and I still haven't booked flights to MCO or purchased trip insurance (usually do both at same time). Not in a rush to give the airline my money on what will most likely be a non-refundable ticket.

We also always book our cruises before our flights. If we don't get the flight back home on the day we want then we will just stay another day or two. Getting to where the cruise leaves from isn't hard either since most if not all cruise ports are near a fairly large airport. Don't worry about it and get the cabin and price you want. Start looking at flight prices as soon as they open up.

We are looking at a cruise round the Caribbean next year (May) either from Florida or Texas.

I've tried to get an idea on flights but can currently only book a flight to Orlando (from the UK). I ideally need to book the cruise soon as we need connecting rooms and I know these go quick but have no guarantee there will be any flights on the days we need them to anywhere other than Orlando.

Where are you flying from and to? What cities do you think will not have flight service in 2019 and why?

No Miami or Tampa from where you live?

Sure, why not?

As long as you have a refundable deposit (which is the norm on Royal Caribbean) worst case you cancel your cruise outside the 90-day window and you get your money back.

Actually, this is a big reason why Carnival couldn't get my business. One of their cruise agents kept calling with new deals but couldn't offer anything better than a non-refundable $50/pp deposit even though the cruise wouldn't be for another 18 months. Well, for five of us that's risking $250... bye Felicia!

Yes!!!! Booking that far in advance gets you the best prices on the cruise, and the most options for rooms.

You can get an idea for what airfare will cost by looking at prices for the current year.

If airfare seems way too high when the flights are finally released, you can cancel your cruise, or move it. This is part of why I would never book a non-refundable cruise fare, and always fly Southwest Airlines.

UK bookings with RCI do not get the same booking benefits of refundable deposits, and generally there is a cost to making any changes.

In the US we do it all the time, even for European cruises. But US booking rules are different from UK, so maybe cancellation penalties would be greater for you.

Do you have a special reason to sail from Texas (like friends or family to visit or special site to see)? If not, you might be better off leaving TX sailings to the locals who drive to port. I love Texas and Texans, but is not so convenient for flyers (not impossible, but less convenient); trust me, I’ve done it. IAH is a long drive from Galveston. Traffic can be bad. Ground transit options to Galveston are limited. And fog can be problematic. Florida is not immune to some of the above, but many more ground transit option as well as more cruise options.

A cruise from one of the South Florida ports might be a good choice. Lots of ships and itineraries. You can fly into MIA or FLL and get ground transit to either port. Tons of hotels and restaurants, etc.

We book way in advance...2 years for our Symphony cruise. So yes...and flights still not available.

Haven't read all the responses but why don't you book refundable if you keeping the cruise depends on the flights.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Bottom line is if you need connecting cabins they are limited and book early, we know as we have done it twice, via our TA. I would take the chance if your days are flexible you can still find decent priced flights. If needed, plan to look outside the "normal" airports that might entail a drive and overnight stay on route. As long as you avoid Memorial Day (end of May) it won't be a holiday weekend, which can be more costly. All though Memorial Day isn't really all that expensive to fly.

If you pick Texas you can also look at flying into Las Vegas, which has reasonable international flights, and drive to Galveston. Also, there are plenty of cheap domestic flights on Southwest that can get you to TX or FL from all major airports within the US.

If you pick Texas you can also look at flying into Las Vegas, which has reasonable international flights, and drive to Galveston.

Am I missing something? This is a joke, right? Vegas to Galveston is a 22 hour drive... London to Rome is 3 hours less. London to Madrid is 4 hours less. London to Lisbon is about equal, but still less.

If you pick Texas you can also look at flying into Las Vegas, which has reasonable international flights, and drive to Galveston.

LOL! Are you serious? :')

I'm pretty sure the last thing the OP wants after a transatlantic flight is a 1,500 mile drive.

Also, there are plenty of cheap domestic flights on Southwest that can get you to TX or FL from all major airports within the US.

Ok... now we're getting back down to earth. May not be the most convenient, but may save you some cash.

Its not the flights to Orlando that are the problem, its the flights to Texas, Fort Lt and Miami :confused:

Fly into Orlando early and do a one way car rental to FLL or Miami. It’s not more than a 4 hour drive and probably much less.

I have to agree with the advice about skipping Galveston unless you have another reason to visit Houston. It’s not exactly a tourist destination! And really, don’t try to drive here from Vegas...

However if you really want to give it a go, Singapore has a great non-stop service from Manchester that always seems to be well priced. If you’re comfortable driving on American roads, BA has some really good prices into Austin airport too.