Are there places you wish cruises would stop going to?

ilikeanswers

I haven't been to Jamaica, Key West or Nassau in over 20 years. For some reason the first years I cruised, It was always those ports, lately its been Eastern Caribbean. It seems every cruise we go to Antigua, so I can pass on that one, we pretty much have our routines for the islands, nowadays, we've been there, done that, so we either make a short day of it, or stay on the ship

In no particular order, there are three places I'm in no big hurry to go back to again. Nassau, Jamaica and Dominican Republic.

I always find it interesting that people seem to dislike these ports and wonder what they did that they found so unenjoyable that they don’t want to return or get off the ship if they do return. We enjoy all of these locations, especially Jamaica and Dominican Republic. River tubing, Dunn’s River Falls, other waterfalls tours in Jamaica. The 27 Waterfalls tour in Amber Cove is one of the best tours we have done over the years and the port at Amber Cove is great if you just want an inexpensive, relaxing day at the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always find it interesting that people seem to dislike these ports and wonder what they did that they found so unenjoyable that they don’t want to return or get off the ship if they do return. We enjoy all of these locations, especially Jamaica and Dominican Republic. River tubing, Dunn’s River Falls, other waterfalls tours in Jamaica. The 27 Waterfalls tour in Amber Cove is one of the best tours we have done over the years and the port at Amber Cove is great if you just want an inexpensive, relaxing day at the pool.

While I’ve never been to the DR, the other two are just plain safety issues for me. I don’t feel safe as a small disabled woman.

Interesting pairing - I assume you have very different reasons for each.

Yes I have.

Nassau may be obvious for many cruisers.

Turkey is more for political reasons and this is not the forum to discuss that.

Some parts of Turkey are not very pretty but as a whole it really is a stunning place...not matter what is going on there.

Amazing food and culture too.

I have been to Turkey three times (a total of 15days) and every time I have said "I'm not going back there!". The Turks in the holiday areas are very similar to the people in the holiday areas in Jamaica, very pushy..

Ports I wouldn't miss:

St Kitts

Jamaica

Nassau

Turkey

Riga

I have been to Turkey three times (a total of 15days) and every time I have said "I'm not going back there!". The Turks in the holiday areas are very similar to the people in the holiday areas in Jamaica, very pushy..

Ports I wouldn't miss:

St Kitts

Jamaica

Nassau

Turkey

Riga

May I ask why you have returned to Turkey when you after every visit have said "I'm not going back there"?

I agree with you about Nassau, Turkey and Riga.

I don't mind St Kitts and Jamaica is big so it's not very hard to find nice things to do there.

I have to put in my impression of Turkish ports: Istanbul where 5 people jumped up to offer me a seat on their trams.

Ephesus where our guide treated us like royalty and vendors at the port gave us good laugh; "How can I help you part with your money?"

Trabzon where locals asked us to be in their photos and were delighted to share their waterfront benches

Samsun where the oman (sp?) welcomed us into his mosque.

We love Turkey!

While there may be som political concerns, and possibly some safety considerations, Turkey is a country not to be missed: the Hagia Sophia and its thousand year younger copy, the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace and the great covered market at the crossroads of the world; Kanakkale for the ruins of Troy, Kusudasi for Ephesus are not to be missed - and most of the people make it a great experience: not to be put in the same category as Jamaica, DR, and many of the Caribbean islands which have little beyond sand meeting water and Diamonds International to offer the unthinking.

While there may be som political concerns, and possibly some safety considerations, Turkey is a country not to be missed: the Hagia Sophia and its thousand year younger copy, the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace and the great covered market at the crossroads of the world; Kanakkale for the ruins of Troy, Kusudasi for Ephesus are not to be missed - and most of the people make it a great experience: not to be put in the same category as Jamaica, DR, and many of the Caribbean islands which have little beyond sand meeting water and Diamonds International to offer the unthinking.

People like different things and I agree with you that Turkey is not to be put in the same category as many of the Caribbean Islands. For me that means that the Caribbean Islands are more interesting than Turkey.

May I ask why you have returned to Turkey when you after every visit have said "I'm not going back there"?

I agree with you about Nassau, Turkey and Riga.

I don't mind St Kitts and Jamaica is big so it's not very hard to find nice things to do there.

I was teenager the first time I traveled to Turkey, spent a week in Alanya. Didn't like the pushy vendors.

Second time was during a holiday on Rhodes, took the ferry to Marmaris during the day. Same impression as Alanya.

Last time we took a "Last minute" trip from our hometown and Turkey was the only placed that worked out within the time frame we had. Went to Side, not much different then the other two cities...

We won't go back unless there's a VERY cheap deal.

I was teenager the first time I traveled to Turkey, spent a week in Alanya. Didn't like the pushy vendors.

Second time was during a holiday on Rhodes, took the ferry to Marmaris during the day. Same impression as Alanya.

Last time we took a "Last minute" trip from our hometown and Turkey was the only placed that worked out within the time frame we had. Went to Side, not much different then the other two cities...

We won't go back unless there's a VERY cheap deal.

Understood - of course if I had visited England, only seeing Brighton and other beach resorts, I would not have been impressed -- or if someone came to the US only to visit Atlantic City, Asbury Park in NJ, or Rehoboth in DE, I would understand their apathy.

This is why a number of posters suggest reading a guide book before visiting a foreign country.

Understood - of course if I had visited England, only seeing Brighton and other beach resorts, I would not have been impressed -- or if someone came to the US only to visit Atlantic City, Asbury Park in NJ, or Rehoboth in DE, I would understand their apathy.

This is why a number of posters suggest reading a guide book before visiting a foreign country.

It's the same with many of the Caribbean Islands. Some research may be needed but most islands have more than beaches and Diamonds Internationel.

I guess we can just agree that we disagree, right? No need to flght over it!

Asbury Park is definitely making a comeback.

It's the same with many of the Caribbean Islands. Some research may be needed but most islands have more than beaches and Diamonds Internationel.

I guess we can just agree that we disagree, right? No need to flght over it!

Not fighting at all, I just wonder what Caribbean island has more of interest than Turkey.

Not fighting at all, I just wonder what Caribbean island has more of interest than Turkey.

Because I'm not going to do a winter vaccation and go somewhere it's cold. To me a vaccation needs sun and beaches, I have culture and history around the corner in my hometown...

Turkey, in its various manifestations, is one of the major civilisations of the world. The islands in the Caribbean are just pretty and sandy and not much else.

Both have there own attractions, but to write off Turkey merely highlights the ignorance of anyone who holds such a view.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app