Is the Steakhouse worth it?

sabanknight

I've been on 11 Carnival cruises. I've been to the steakhouse once on Vista. I booked as a special treat for my boyfriend. Idon't eat red meat. I got the chicken. He likes a good steakhouse & enjoyed his meal. Yes, it was worth it in my opinion because we had a lovely night. The chicken was good too. 

"Worth it" is up to the individual. Give it a shot & decide for yourselves!

• Like 1

We went to the Steakhouse on our first cruise the Liberty. It was fun and the food was good. It was probably one of the ritzier dining experiences we have ever had. For that reason I would say it was worth it to us. For you I would say it will depend on where you are from and what you are used to. We are from Montana and are used to steaks straight from the steer that are amazing. We have a great steakhouse that we go to here that has the same sort of menu but were wearing jeans and cowboy boots instead of suits and dresses. Price is similar per person as well. We probably wont go back unless we check the menu at the MDR and decide its not for us that night and can get into the steakhouse. 

8 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Although this is a way-old thread, and I can't sleep, I'd like to add my thoughts from our trip to the Steakhouse on the Splendor last February.

With the change in menu, I doubt we'll be back. I wasn't wowed by the sides, which I used to love beyond measure. I mean, a good cut of steak broiled to order is hard to screw up. It's the sides that, for me, make the rest of the meal. I miss the spinach and old-style 'shrooms. I miss the old selection of desserts.

Everyone at one time or another compares Carnival's steakhouse with Ruth's Chris or some other high-end joint and comment what a deal Carnival is over that. We're going to Gordon Ramsey's Steak in Vegas in a couple of weeks and I'm expecting a REAL steakhouse experience. I still don't think Carnival's steakhouse is worth the $38 uncharge. Maybe at $25, but certainly not $38

Let me just say that at$38pp, the Carnival Steakhouse is a bargain, compared to high end steakhouses, like Ruth Chris. We have a steakhouse restaurant here in Buffalo called Russels, and it is unbelievable! But it’s EXPENSIVE! My hubby and I spend well over $100 for 2, for a dinner there. For $38pp, for all Carnival gives you with that, it remains a bargain, and one I’m looking forward to on our next cruise. We are sailing the Glory in February with our daughter and her family, and we all plan to go there for dinner.

Food is very subjective, but both my wife and I think the steakhouse is well worth the $38. So far this year we have eaten in the steakhouse on Sunshine, Horizon, Liberty and Breeze.  Everything we have ordered has been excellent to outstanding. The only area that could use improving is the dessert menu, but we usually are too full to order dessert so that isn’t a big deal to us. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 6:18 AM, RWolver672 said:

We tried it once and wasn't impressed. We won't try it again.

After reading five pages on this, I thought I should go into a little more detail.  We were on the Glory in 2005 and she encountered engine problems.  We missed a port and were given $25 OBC because of it.  We decided to use it at the steakhouse. 

We ordered our meals.  Before anything came, the waitress brought out bent spoons with rabbit food on them and said the chef made it especially for us.  Then she stood there waiting for us to eat it.  Then she asked how we liked it.  First off, how do you eat something that you have no idea of what it is and didn't order it.  Second, how do you say without being rude that it tasted like rabbit food.

Our appetizers came out.  Two minutes later she was back asking how we liked it.  It's pretty hard to screw up shrimp cocktail.  

Our steaks came out.  At least three times during our main course, she came back asking how we liked the food.  Leave us alone and let us eat it.  So many previous posters have said how they enjoyed the service.  That's what turned us off the most.  Give us our food, then leave us alone to let us enjoy it.  By the way, I had said this on my review of our cruise and was lambasted because they said I would have complained if nobody had stopped by to ask.  We are not the type to want constant attention.  We order, we eat, we leave.  The steaks didn't taste any different than what we grill at home.  Flame away if you like.  I'm use to it on here.

As so many others have said, the only way you'll know if your like it or not is to try it yourself.  Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

As so many others have said, the only way you'll know if your like it or not is to try it yourself.  Different strokes for different folks.

I can understand how you feel based on your previous experience. But I would be willing to try the steakhouse again if I were in your shoes. A lot can change over 14 years. However, I also realize everyone’s financial situation is different. It may be tough to justify spending $38 per petson when you can eat in the MDR or Lido for no additional charge. 

27 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I can understand how you feel based on your previous experience. But I would be willing to try the steakhouse again if I were in your shoes. A lot can change over 14 years. However, I also realize everyone’s financial situation is different. It may be tough to justify spending $38 per petson when you can eat in the MDR or Lido for no additional charge. 

We're not worried about the cost.  We are the type that if we touch something that's hot and get burned, we aren't about to touch it the second time to see if it's still hot.  Once was enough.  

On 3/28/2018 at 4:46 PM, sabanknight said:

Was considering booking the Steakhouse and pick up the complimentary wine on night one. Is the Steakhouse really worth the price, compared to the MDR I already paid for? Have never tried it, curious what veterans of the Steakhouse think. Does it vary from ship to ship, or just changes the name? Going on the Glory if that's the case.

Don't get the Surf and Turf if you are hungry.  We did a review on youtube if you would like to watch.  the menu is in the description

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JQTravels said:

Don't get the Surf and Turf if you are hungry.  We did a review on youtube if you would like to watch.  the menu is in the description

Thank you so much for that and your other reviews. They have been very helpful! We will be trying the steakhouse on the new Panorama this upcoming January.

1 minute ago, pbcbbc said:

Thank you so much for that and your other reviews. They have been very helpful! We will be trying the steakhouse on the new Panorama this upcoming January.

Lucky you!!  The Panorama and the Mardi Gras our on our list!  Hope you have fun!

18 hours ago, TEXASMUNK said:

There are three levels on a ship..,,buffet….MDR ..Steakhouse.  Last cruise we dined in the Steakhouse 5 times. Loved every meal.  PS, the free bottle of wine?  it is free for a reason!  YUCK.

Your order of eating venues only pan out if one hasn't been exposed to true high end dining. 

Is it worth it? I say it's cheap enough to try it for yourself. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

Is a cruise worth it?  

Yes, as long as you realize cruising can be very addicting and the addiction needs to be fed. I never go more than 90 days without a cruise and try to keep it at no more than 60 days, which I can’t always do because of my wife’s work schedule.  

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Yes, as long as you realize cruising can be very addicting and the addiction needs to be fed. I never go more than 90 days without a cruise and try to keep it at no more than 60 days, which I can’t always do because of my wife’s work schedule.  

Good for you!  You ARE addicted. 😀

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Do you ever do land based vacations? We love cruising but also like resorts and hotels as well. 

53 minutes ago, coevan said:

Do you ever do land based vacations? We love cruising but also like resorts and hotels as well. 

We have done all inclusives in the Caribbean and stayed at hotels at the beach, the most recent being Myrtle Beach several years ago. But recently the only vacations we have done other than cruises is staying at Disney World.