Are megaships going to be the new standard?

RD29P5

Are smaller ships going to be a thing of the past in a few short years? I've never been on a megaship, and really don't have any desire to be on one. Maybe I just think the ship shouldn't be the destination, just like a hotel shouldn't be. The experience should be where you are going not how you get there. I'm probably alone in this but I think it would be a huge mistake for the smaller ships to be phased out of service.

I just don't see the appeal in smaller older ships. Unless the smaller older ships are used to get into ports the mega ships can't get into, I probably won't sail them anymore. If the smaller ships had a great itinerary I'd consider it. I used a final sailing of an old small Holland America ship to do my Baltic cruise, it was a nursing home on water. Now I have kids and we want the grandest ships with the latest technology and all the bells and whistles and all the extra activities the new ships have. I've had friends say they were bored to death on old small ships. To us, less is not more. If you want to sail with half the passengers I get it otherwise I'm not interested in small ships anymore unless it can take me somewhere The Bliss or Escape from NCL can't. Considering the megas go to the most of same places their smaller counterparts go to, what's the appeal?

I agree with both posters. I'm not a fan of the mega ships, far too many people standing in line. I can go to Disney for that.

But for most people they want to do something on sea days, or days in ports they don't like. For the cruise line more people means more money.

Besides, with giant filled ships they can charge super sky high prices for private areas and people will knock people over to get the limited access to those areas.

Why does Disney keep raising their prices? Because people keep paying. Cruise lines are no different, as long as people keep paying they will make bigger and bigger ships. Until people who want that small ship experience realize that the prices for the secluded areas on the big ships are actually more expensive than the smaller exclusive ship experiences.

Are smaller ships going to be a thing of the past in a few short years? I've never been on a megaship, and really don't have any desire to be on one. Maybe I just think the ship shouldn't be the destination, just like a hotel shouldn't be. The experience should be where you are going not how you get there. I'm probably alone in this but I think it would be a huge mistake for the smaller ships to be phased out of service.

If you believe the media, cruise lines are now designing ships and programs to target the millennials. These are the cruisers who will be with the lines for the next four to five decades. That demographic is interested in the resort vacation, Broadway shows, highly adult oriented improv comedy, and high tech attractions. They are not interested in the not-so-funny comedian in the main theater and the no-so-good magician of the past. So,,, the cruise lines need to make the ship the destination. And get people to book because of the ships. And to gain brand loyalty with innovative, forward leaning attractions.

I actually hope there will always be some smaller ships with NCL as I really enjoy sailing them. The mega ships have never appealed to me as I'm a solo traveller (I know that sounds weird as the smaller ships don't have studios). I also mostly pick my cruises based on itinerary, not necessarily by activities/amenities on the ship.

You are not alone in your opinion that ships are not the destination. HOWEVER, people who have been around a lot of times and been to all the ports, "seen it, done it, got the postcards", don't want to do it again.

For many, they just enjoy the ship. The entertainment, the dining, the friendly NCL employees are what makes the cruise fun.

Relaxation might be number one on the to-do list for them. I think your comparison of a cruise ship not being the destination anymore than a hotel is...that's a wee bit off.

Different strokes for different folks.

Megaships are likely to be the future for many reasons, but one of the major reasons is economy of scale. My feeling is the "middle sized ships" (that were the big ships 10 years ago), are going to be phased out as they reach their end of life. They will be replaced by megaships.

But..there will always be a market for higher-end specialty cruises, going to places the megaships can't go. Those will be done with smaller ships, just as they are done now.

cruise lines need to balance between mega ships and mid size ships. Mega ships can have clearance issues sailing under bridges at homeport and tendering can be chaotic with a very very large amount of passengers. mid size ships can pretty much dock everything and tendering is an easier process with only about 2k passengers

If you believe the media, cruise lines are now designing ships and programs to target the millennials. These are the cruisers who will be with the lines for the next four to five decades. That demographic is interested in the resort vacation, Broadway shows, highly adult oriented improv comedy, and high tech attractions. They are not interested in the not-so-funny comedian in the main theater and the no-so-good magician of the past. So,,, the cruise lines need to make the ship the destination. And get people to book because of the ships. And to gain brand loyalty with innovative, forward leaning attractions.

This only works if they ever move out of their parent's homes.

Although Generation Z is much more frugal and less "gimme" than Gen Y from all studies so far.

There will still have to be some midsize ships, just because trying to tender 5000+ people to an island takes too long. So, unless you want to go to the same islands where behemoth ships can dock, you will have to find some smaller ships.

I think it’s interesting that Project Leonardo’s design is smaller than the Breakaway Plus class.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are not alone in your opinion that ships are not the destination. HOWEVER, people who have been around a lot of times and been to all the ports, "seen it, done it, got the postcards", don't want to do it again.

For many, they just enjoy the ship. The entertainment, the dining, the friendly NCL employees are what makes the cruise fun.

Relaxation might be number one on the to-do list for them. I think your comparison of a cruise ship not being the destination anymore than a hotel is...that's a wee bit off.

Different strokes for different folks.

Probably the best explanation I’ve read.

All the exact reasons I cruise!

As you say....different strokes.....

Thanks!

Are smaller ships going to be a thing of the past in a few short years?

Yeah, think back 10 years, not that long ago. Now think 10 years in the future. The midsize ships will be approching 20-30 years old and today's megaships will be 12-15 years old.

Like everything else, consolidation is the name of the game. Get some partnerships to develop a few captive port stops, make bigger ships to fit more people, run fewer itineraries, less OpEx, more revenue.

I really don't think it is that far in the future when the big cruise lines have nothing but 3000+ PAX ships.

IMO there is going to be a market for both. The small ships may reside in the up scale and luxury markets but the mass market lines will have the mega ships.

How are people defining "megaship"?

There are many ships for many different lines that are going to be larger than NCL's BA Plus class. If those other lines are happy just as RCCL is happy with the Oasis class, I suspect that NCL will go larger than Escape/Bliss/Encore after the Project Leonardo class is done.

How are people defining "megaship"?

There are many ships for many different lines that are going to be larger than NCL's BA Plus class. If those other lines are happy just as RCCL is happy with the Oasis class, I suspect that NCL will go larger than Escape/Bliss/Encore after the Project Leonardo class is done.

A lot of good points made on this thread so far. I like the direction that Two Wheels Only made, how are people defining "megaship"? Back in 1988, RCCL's Sovereign OTS (73K GT) was the largest passenger ship ever built since 1940, a title she held until 1995, when Sun Princess was delivered (a whopping 77K GT). After that, almost every consecutive year had a new "World's Largest Cruise Ship", which exponentially grew in size.

Back then, the Sovereign, as well as Carnival's Holiday class, were considered revolutionary ships - purpose built "mega" ships for cruise vacations. As more and more people got into cruising, cruise lines (CCL, RCCL, NCL) are constantly trying to get the one-up in the industry, attempting to cram in as much features a ship's hull can hold to appeal to the mass-market demographic.

Today's "smaller" ships were considered mega-ships, what, 15 years ago? The tiny Sovereign was the worlds largest cruise ship in 1988. The word "megaship" - is kind of a misnomer, since it's constantly changing. Voyager was a mega ship in 1999. Not even close by todays standards. I personally don't consider anything under 200k GT a mega ship. Only Royal has modern mega ships. Escape, to me, just feels like a big ship using old designs, for example.

For the mass market cruise lines, of course they are going towards larger ships that have more to do and carry more people. Royal is building them seemingly as fast as they can because they fill up. And for many, the Hotel is the destination as well, in fact, most resorts market themselves exactly this way. But if you prefer a Holiday Inn over Atlantis because you aren't interested in the resort, then you can also do the same with cruising. Boutique lines with very small ships that have a new destination every day. Sail Seabourn if that's what you like.

But the "smaller" mass market ships are just big ships without as much to do. So it makes perfect sense they will be retired eventually.

This only works if they ever move out of their parent's homes.

Although Generation Z is much more frugal and less "gimme" than Gen Y from all studies so far.

Lucky for you, according to Pew Research, you'll soon have a new generational label on whom to blame society's problems. They're using the birth year 1996 as the last year of the millennial and they'll come up with a new definition for those born in 1997 or later.

And for the record, I was born smack-dab in the middle of the millennial generation. I was moved out of my parent's house with a full time job within 2 months of graduation and happily spend my disposable income, after that chunk is taken out to pay for what I assume is your retirement, on cruising. I think the Norwegian Edge concept has been great for the line, as it takes their existing inventory and does much needed upgrades. But even then, you can only keep applying lipstick to the pig for so long.

Just got off the Dawn...the next ships that will be built will be the size of the Dawn....the 2500 passenger range. This was talked about the last day with the Sr. Mgmt.

I really hope this is the case. I loved the Dawn, and on the Bermuda itinerary it was fantastic to have 3 At Sea days and 3 Port days, because it became just as important to sail for the ship as it did to sail for the port. You had your standard theater entertainment, but the addition of Second City on board gave me the type of shows I liked to see (their theater show, but also the NCLIS Murder Mystery Lunch). If NCL rolled out something in the 2500-3000 passenger range, especially with a pool deck setup like the Dawn had, with updated technology and amenities that we've seen from the newer ships, I'd be one of the first ones booked on her!

Lucky for you, according to Pew Research, you'll soon have a new generational label on whom to blame society's problems. They're using the birth year 1996 as the last year of the millennial and they'll come up with a new definition for those born in 1997 or later.

And for the record, I was born smack-dab in the middle of the millennial generation. I was moved out of my parent's house with a full time job within 2 months of graduation and happily spend my disposable income, after that chunk is taken out to pay for what I assume is your retirement, on cruising. I think the Norwegian Edge concept has been great for the line, as it takes their existing inventory and does much needed upgrades. But even then, you can only keep applying lipstick to the pig for so long.

Even you have to realize that you are the exception for your generation. And don't get me wrong, your generation has some fantastic people in it, and some very hard workers, but in general a very "I deserve it and I deserve it now" attitude. But you also have a much better work life balance than prior generations. Have you seen the video for the song Millenials? Read the back story on it, very interesting. As for Gen Z, 50% more view financial success a sign of successful living at the same age. They also are more frugal in purchasing than Gen Y. Sadly, the same entitlement mentality created from CA's idea that everyone should get a trophy so no one has hurt feelings.

To answer the initial question - in my opinion sadly - yes. Personally I avoid the mega ships but I am more of a port person than a sea-day person.

If I want a resort-type experience, I go to a resort. For me seeing the different ports is why I cruise.

Even you have to realize that you are the exception for your generation. And don't get me wrong, your generation has some fantastic people in it, and some very hard workers, but in general a very "I deserve it and I deserve it now" attitude. But you also have a much better work life balance than prior generations. Have you seen the video for the song Millenials? Read the back story on it, very interesting. As for Gen Z, 50% more view financial success a sign of successful living at the same age. They also are more frugal in purchasing than Gen Y. Sadly, the same entitlement mentality created from CA's idea that everyone should get a trophy so no one has hurt feelings.

I could have a whole discussion on how every generation has their version of the squeaky wheel story like the Millennial's "I deserve it NOW" kids. I'm mostly jealous because the Boomers had the hippies, with their superior music and pot. But this is Cruise Critic, so I digress...

I think you hit the nail on the head though. My generation is currently entering the prime of their purchasing power, and the free market is adjusting to that. Some lines like Cunard, HAL and, to a degree, Celebrity know that they have enough market share to do things the old fashioned way and still fill their ships with Boomers and older Gen X'ers who are looking for relaxation and prime port selection. NCL seems to be positioning themselves for my generation, where people in their late 20s, 30s, and 40s who don't have families, either with them on the trip or at all, can go on a vacation where they know how much they're paying up front and they can let loose and just have fun for a week. We are more frugal so something like a cruise with a line that is attempting to cater more to our interests provides a great value!

I don't think the megaships will continue to be built exclusively because as the NCL Esses (Sky, Spirit, Star, and Sun) reach their true end-of-life, at least as Norwegian ships, your supply quickly outgrows the financially-willing demand if you continue to replace 2,000 passenger ships with those carrying 4,000.

I could have a whole discussion on how every generation has their version of the squeaky wheel story like the Millennial's "I deserve it NOW" kids. I'm mostly jealous because the Boomers had the hippies, with their superior music and pot. But this is Cruise Critic, so I digress...

You are absolutely right on this. As a trainer I noticed it was almost impossible to relate to Gen Y, for myself or other trainers, so a couple years ago I started taking classes specifically aimed at training generationally. Motivationally speaking Gen Y, and probably Gen Z are radically different than older generations, and a good portion of that come from the work life balance issues that Gen Y treats so differently.

But I think you are wrong on the main lines targeting unattached adults. Most are gearing towards parents with children. While I think the idea of allowing solo cabins shows a desire for adults, the lack of venues directed at and reserved for adults shows that they are more concerned with the family crowd. What they are planning for is the the Millennials are now the second largest generation, which means as your generation has children it will be a huge family boom.