Just boarded the Crown

antsp

Wondering if the menu items from the Trident Grill will be offered for no charge at the "new" Salty Dog. Please let us know. Sad to think there will be no poolside hot dogs and burgers, knockwurst and fries and sometimes onion rings. IMO, those items were actually good.

Here's an article on Cruise Critic with the menu.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2880

Definitely looks scaled down from Trident Grill offerings.

I am on crown for the 25 day transatlantic on the 23 rd oct. but it makes a stop in Rome that passengers can disembark, so I assume some passengers can embark

We're on that sailing as well!

Differences in English and American English always amuse me. Like you guys don't know what a Tannoy is, I was confused as heck when I first heard 'Saran Wrap'. We call it cling film, but you guys use the brand name like we do with Tannoy. I'm sure there's loads of others (don't get me started on 'chips' lol. Always a source of confusion when I'm in the USA!)

I'd love to see some pics from the refurbished areas if anyone has them? We are on her in Dec.

Yes! Like "pudding" (or is it, "puddin') which is not really pudding.....and biscuits which are not like biscuits....but I remember my friend Ann in the UK calling the vacuum, the Hoover!! So funny!

I think the menu for the new grill looks great! I haven't tried the former pool grill but it sounds like this has to be better?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Trident grill had more selection and rotating daily specials like lamb sausage, always had a veggie burger and erc..new menu seems to be less selection. Not sure about quality or taste though

I don't need a pay-extra burger, with carmelized kim-chee on it, at the expense of the other offerings!

Wonder how this will go over, and it this change will be made on other ships.

Hopefully not the Regal before we sail.

Lee, I think the Pizza slices are a separate counter...

We also got the 'Million Dollar Makeover' email. We board the Crown on April 28. Email showed 'Slice' (Pizza), Salty Dog Grill. Coffee and Cones and The Mix.

'Specialty Dining' on main website shows 'Sabatini's' not Trattoria - so I guess not the new menu. Also shows Salty Dog Gastro Pub - is this new on the Crown ? Most reviews I have seen on CC do not like it. Is it open every day ? Do they still have Pub Lunch ?

Not sure if they've changed it but two weeks ago, they still had the Pub Lunch. The menu rotated though and on the first day they had the usual pub fare with fish n' chips and ploughman's lunch. By the second pub day, it's different. No ploughman's. I was so disappointed and neither of us could find anything we liked on the second pub lunch menu.

Thank you Drives Like Mario - is Salty Dog Gourmet a permanent set up or just on certain days ?

I seem to remember Pub Lunch menu changing last time we cruised. Usually on Sea Days, right ?

off Regal, and the Pub lunch was offered on only the last sea day, not the other 2

was in wheelhouse bar/ crown grill...

had fish and chips - wife, I had shrimp and chips - not sure what else was on the menu...place was packed with a waiting line.

Thank you Drives Like Mario - is Salty Dog Gourmet a permanent set up or just on certain days ?

I seem to remember Pub Lunch menu changing last time we cruised. Usually on Sea Days, right ?

I'm not sure about Salty Dog, sorry.

Yes, you're right - the Pub Lunch was on sea days. :)

It was offered every night for dinner on our February sailing.

We were on the Crown in 2016/2017 for a month. The Salty Dog was a permanent area carved out the Wheelhouse Bar. We had no issue with the food but if you are mobility challenged (I was using a cane 6 months before getting both hips replaced) all the tables were counter high so you had to climb up to and down from your seat. There was one little 'living room' area with couches and coffee tables. The couches and tables were too low for comfortable eating. i can only hope they fixed the accessibility issues in the dry dock.

Also onboard Crown now, agree with what antsp said prior. Would add still ongoing cosmetic work and clean up, covering/painting brass inside elevators and wrapping doors with gaudy gold film-ish stuff. Consequently many elevators out of commission, at least one or two every day, once three out of four in the aft, at dinnertime.

Was told many pipes replaced, have seen a few leaks from (apparently) some not well tightened/welded or what ever they do. No new carpet in our aft balcony, but they did shampoo it this week.

No BOGO or Happy Hours onboard to whomever asked that question.

Staff still great, very kind, helpful. But it has been an awful busy couple of weeks for them trying to accomplish so much in so little time.

New beds: Some like them, some don’t. I think they are fine, but nothing to brag about. And yes, as Pescado Amarillo noted at one point, even the new beds can and will develop divots.