Launderette to a single cabin

antsp

Not a 100% on this but it looks like the laundrette on one side of the Crown are being turned into single cabins, it is on going at the moment. I am on the Crown at the moment. Will try and get some more info

On the Carib Princess last Oct I n

notef half as many laundry rooms ... and learned that the other half of each had been reconfigured as lodging for the ever-present workmen ... either completing stuff not finished in drydock. Installing carpdting and trim, doing whatever to prep thr ship for *****.

Remains to be seen if what had been.half a laundry will remain worker digs ... or maybe Princess will remove the remaining laundry half and combine the 2 sides for a paying passenger cabin of some sort.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

I don't think the laundrys were installed for a

profit, more as a convenience to passengers

and we, well she, takes advantage of them by being able to pack for a 3-4 day cruise when going on 7-10:cool:

I was looking at deck plans on Caribbean Princess, helping my DS choose one, and noted that all the decks we looked at, only had “half” a laundry room!!

Certainly hope this isn’t the future for laundry rooms on Princess; though DH and I both get elite laundry privileges, I don’t send any of my things there and DH still self-launders some of his items.

I was looking at deck plans on Caribbean Princess, helping my DS choose one, and noted that all the decks we looked at, only had “half” a laundry room!!

Certainly hope this isn’t the future for laundry rooms on Princess; though DH and I both get elite laundry privileges, I don’t send any of my things there and DH still self-launders some of his items.

Not good!!

Not good!!

Wow! I am just in awe at the lengths Princess is going to implement their "money making" projects and make their many cut backs. I wonder if/when it will ever hit bottom. So, If I understand, it looks like they are phasing out self serve lunderettes??? Half now and the other half when they see how these "new" cabins sell??? Those launderettes have always been a positive feature of Princess' ships.

I am a solo traveler, but I can not imagine ever being in a cabin the size of the launderette. I would suffocate.

Is it only the space next to the laundry rooms? The laundry rooms are staying in tact, right?

All the self laundries on the Caribbean Princess are cut in half. Two washers and two dryers. Looks like the other half is an equipment room. (for now). Elite free laundry was 3+ days on Mar 18th cruise. Long lines, broken machines means take more clothes.

When I sailed on the Sun Class ships in the 90's, there was no fee to use the laundry machines. Only a fee to buy soap!

So, be sure to show your displeasure on the survey, if not before.

Since it appears construction is very close to completion, I don't think survey cards much less opinions on this board matter at all to Princess.

I think the poster you are responding to is suggesting that the self-service laundries are being significantly underused. Elite cruisers get free laundry done by the laundry service and do not use the self-service units. With there being huge numbers of Elite passengers on many cruises, having a large number of self-service units spread round the ship it does not make economic sense to the cruise line. Their solution, add a few extra cabins in the redundant space.

Many facilities which were a convenience to passengers are not being featured on newer design ships, the Promenade Deck seems to being phased out on the latest ships for example.

Regards John

Even on the Royal there are "half sized" laundry rooms. I used the one on Marina in Dec. and ended up running up or down one deck to do the drying and was surprised when I walked in and the laundry room went from one side to the other. As long as there are laundry facilities, I'm happy. Full size / Half size. Not important. They could put them just on every other deck and it would not bother me.

Even on the Royal there are "half sized" laundry rooms. I used the one on Marina in Dec. and ended up running up or down one deck to do the drying and was surprised when I walked in and the laundry room went from one side to the other. As long as there are laundry facilities, I'm happy. Full size / Half size. Not important. They could put them just on every other deck and it would not bother me.

Just came off the Regal & the laundry room we used was full sized. Even though we're Elite, we don't take advantage of the laundry service they offer (several reasons - sometimes it's a long wait due to number of Elites on board plus I don't like "hot" drying for most of my clothes). I'm with the poster who said they can pack 3-4 days of clothes for a 10 day cruise. We did 8 days on the Crown & then moved over to the Regal for 7 days -- just had to pack for a week to cover both. On our upcoming 25-day cruise, my plan is about 7 days worth of clothing with plans to launder several times.

I think the poster you are responding to is suggesting that the self-service laundries are being significantly underused. Elite cruisers get free laundry done by the laundry service and do not use the self-service units. With there being huge numbers of Elite passengers on many cruises, having a large number of self-service units spread round the ship it does not make economic sense to the cruise line. Their solution, add a few extra cabins in the redundant space.

Many facilities which were a convenience to passengers are not being featured on newer design ships, the Promenade Deck seems to being phased out on the latest ships for example.

Regards John

Your interpretation of the post would appear to be correct. However, I have to disagree with the premise. I have never experienced under use of the laundry rooms. To the contrary, there is usually a wait for a machine. Of course we just became elite after our last cruise, so I may be more focused on the complimentary laundry turnaround time going forward. :D:D

All the self laundries on the Caribbean Princess are cut in half. Two washers and two dryers. Looks like the other half is an equipment room. (for now). Elite free laundry was 3+ days on Mar 18th cruise. Long lines, broken machines means take more clothes.

Wow, that's terrible. Having a good-sized laundry room at our disposal was always a selling point for us. Elite laundry taking 3 days seems to be the norm anymore with the surplus of Elites.

Nothing happens on Princess that isn't geared to increasing the bottom line.

The board members are racking their brains right now trying to come up with another idea to cut costs.

It gets harder & harder each year since they's not much left to cut back on.

The board members are racking their brains right now trying to come up with another idea to cut costs.

It gets harder & harder each year since they's not much left to cut back on.

Could go back to what early motels had. Make the TV work only after you deposit a quarter for 15 minutes of viewing time.

However, I have to disagree with the premise. I have never experienced under use of the laundry rooms. To the contrary, there is usually a wait for a machine. Of course we just became elite after our last cruise, so I may be more focused on the complimentary laundry turnaround time going forward. :D:D

This is my experience also - especially on cruises in Alaska and other locations where people often do land trips before or after - people need to do laundry.

Maybe not in the Caribbean but think of other locations such as Europe where people are on land for a week and then get on the ship.