Im sad to say, but Im on my way, Goodbye Celebrity.

nancyshaw

We have done (so far) two X cruises - one in a veranda on Connie and one in AQ on Millennium. We have had a much better experience in MDR on Connie than in Blu on Millie. The sommelier, our waiters and often the meals were better in Connie ‘s MDR. OV food was really good on both - not everything to our taste but good nevertheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hope you enjoy whatever cruise line you end up with.

With regard to the food in the MDR. I've always found it to be very good. I don't use salt when cooking and never thought there was too much salt in any of the food on my last cruise, but then everyone has different tastes.

Other cruise lines that I've been on recently w/ some degree of "class system" or cruise w/in a cruise.

RCI: Coastal Kitchen for suites on the bigger ships, the Concierge lounge/suites lounge, priority boarding, tendering and some have specific areas on the deck for pool/sun. Etc.

Princess: Dining in suites is "Club Class". MOSTLY the same menu but w/ a couple additions each day. Separate entrance to a specific area of the MDR. Different cutlery, table linens and some table side preparations. Specialty mimosa breakfasts daily in a separate dining room each AM for full suites. The ability to order room service fully from the MDR menus for all meals, at least 1 free Specialty dinner/sailing, special suites evening events nightly. Boarding. Tendering. yadda yadda

MSC has Yacht Club at the top w/ its own lounge and dining, deck areas etc. stepping down to the "Fantastica" and "Aurea" experiences. Then just regular cabins and "experiences."

That being said, I have 3 cruises booked. Next up is Equinox in a Royal b/c I really love Luminae and I do NOT like the MDR much any longer. But I do enjoy the suite experiences on Celebrity very much. Service and food is definitely a cut above.

Next is RCI in a regular balcony. I enjoy RCI very much but I do dial down my expectations.

Last a full suite on Princess.

I cruise across lines, across "class" and just adjust my expectations accordingly. YMMV

That is also what we found in the MDR, I said that a waiter told us off record that the "very salty" is to mask taste, texture. . Some had bad headaches, as blood pressure rose. In the Medical facility were told not to eat in MDR, where the food is presalted but to go to OVC where you can salt your own and grill without any salt.

Again, I may find after trying a different cruise line that I miss what Celeb had to offer me. So yes in that sense I am keeping an open mind.

BLU has non salty food, sauces on the side, cooked to order food, and many healthy choices...It costs less than a suite but is a good value..If you return to X, it might be a good option....We are hanging in with X...at least til we try EDGE

So wrong. Don't make the mistake of comparing cabin prices. Instead, use the "net daily rate," which is all required and expected optional costs divided by days in your trip. For example, Oceania prices include airfare (or credit), beverages, internet, an choice of booze, excursions or OBC. All of that is extra on wannabes like Celebrity.

And, of course, there's also the significant difference in the quality of food and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Umm, no. Oceania does not include airfare except from certain cities. They MAY offer a choice of alcohol, excursions or OBC if you book during a sale promotion (like Celebrity's 1-2-3 Go sale, or whatever they call it now), but it's not part of a regular booking .https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value/ I'll certainly concur that the food and service would be better.

As an ex-accountant, I do know how to calculate the net daily cost and ALWAYS do whenever and where ever we go on vacation. Many many times that is exactly why we choose Celebrity: The perks of the classic alcohol package and prepaid tips for the price of an OV cabin is pretty damn hard to beat.

We always have very good food in BLU, with a few exceptions, but on our last X cruise in October all four of us thought the Oceanview Cafe food had declined since our last cruise on X in 2014. Horrible lunch meats, if you can call them that, the spaghetti sauce was watery, the meatballs were full of gristle and not the same quality we’d had four years earlier, and the taco bar was horrid compared to on another line we cruise on.

We did like the Caribbean food they served one day in the OV, however, and we liked some of the desserts as well. Breads and salads were tasty.

We definitely weren’t wowed by our food experience there though, except for in BLU.

We have just sailed on Eclipse and had one of the best experiences for a long time. The food in the MD was very good so we cancelled a planned 4th visit to the speciality dining.

Service was also very good, the ship was clean and bright - the only dark corner being the lounge near Murano but then its supposed to be 'moody' and there are plenty other places on the ship that are bright.

We have favourite hotels we visit for their cuisine - its a different holiday.

I think the cruise should be taken as a whole and not just judged by its cuisine alone - if that's the case then this is not the cruise line for the OP. I suggest you try one of the more expensive luxury lines like Silversea? - just a thought in my humble opinion

Ultimately, the things so many find negative and disappointing about X is that they remember the 'good old days.' We want things to be as good as they used to be. But we've all grown a bit jaded about cruising. The first ten times is ALWAYS better than the 31st through 40th cruise. It's human nature.

And, let's get real. X is changing it's product to appeal to younger demographics. The loyalists are getting old and will either stop being able to physically travel or croak. Like all businesses, Celebrity needs new customers, and they will change to attract those new customers. If that means losing some of the loyalist (many of whom have grown tired of the product anyway), I don't think they care all that much.

Whether they are successful or not - who knows.

To the OP I wish you well and hope you find the experience you seek. When you asked for respectful replies I think perhaps you made an error. By you declaring the food on Celebrity in the MDR "inedible" you immediately then rate the palates of those who enjoy the food to be less discerning than yours. That may get a rise out of some. Perhaps it would be better stated that you didn't care for it. Tastes and palates vary. But claiming that medical staff advise people on board not to eat the food discredits your post and makes your statements less than credible. I have sailed Celebrity and other lines for many years and am not blind to changes, but IMHO those changes have happened everywhere. Again, good luck. I hope you find what you seek and wish you calm seas and happy times.

Seems like you are going to compare apples and oranges. You are going to pay much more on Viking for better food and service. It would seem you should try the better options on X as well you might like Blu. The Edge that you canceled will have many upscale dining choices. You could have just paid for the extra dining deal and eaten upscale every night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You say your Viking cruise is no more expensive than a regular Celebrity cabin, based on Edge prices. But Edge prices (after the first few hours of availability last fall) are crazy-high because so many people want to try out the new ship with its unique features like the Infinite Balcony you cancelled. Compare Viking prices to Eclipse in the Caribbean on its mirror-image itineraries to Edge – and tell me that Viking costs the same. But no problem: you will enjoy your Viking cruise and you'll never realize that with the right selection you could of had a Celebrity Suite for the same money. And Celebrity will fill their cabins with new customers who don't get Elite Plus benefits and don't compare today with the golden memories.

We just got back from 14 nights in a sky suite. Over all we had a nice trip. Food is questionable. I did send one dish back in Luminae. It was pork medallions. It was dry and tough. I said give me another shrimp appetizer from the Luminae menu. They change it to a main dish and I had a great meal. We did mix and match with the Luminae and MDR menus. We few days we did eat in the Oceanview Cafe, sure I found some food to eat. OVC on Millie just was not that exciting. Overall we are still very happy with Celebrity Sweet Life. But my eyes are open.

And Celebrity will fill their cabins with new customers who don't get Elite Plus benefits and don't compare today with the golden memories.

It always used to be said it was cheaper and easier for a business to retain existing customers, than the expense of getting a new customer.

Has there been a dramatic change in the economy that this has changed - and permanently? Why do so many knockers criticise arguments implying that there is an endless, ready supply of new customers just waiting to book (why didn't they book the cabin already before the existing customer if true)?

Edited by The_Big_M

. A waiter off the record told us that it is salted for a reason, to make it more palatable.

Professional kitchens, even those run by great chefs, use lots of salt, cream and sugar. I would never choose the MDR for health food. That said on our last cruise the everyday steak was awful and tasted like it had been marinaded in a saline solution - but for us that was the exception.

Off the record, captains club host told us that the food in MDR has to be worse in order for Luminae and Blu to seem better so more suites can be sold.

Not really "off the record" when you effectively ID the person

It always used to be said it was cheaper and easier for a business to retain existing customers, than the expense of getting a new customer.

Has there been a dramatic change in the economy that this has changed - and permanently? Why do so many knockers criticise arguments implying that there is an endless, ready supply of new customers just waiting to book (why didn't they book the cabin already before the existing customer if tre?

True, I recalll that in statement a few years back in the U.K. Retaining your customers and keeping them sailing on a 20 year old ship with a couple of glasses of cheap wine and a bag of laundry has to be cheaper than building a new ship to attract new ones. The only difference is that argument is flawed when your business is largely based around a segment that you will definitely lose in the next 20 years, no matter how many freebies you give them.

Re new customers - not seeing much sign that cruises are filling up with Millennials, certainly not on the 2 week long cruises my wifecand i book. I mistakingly purchased the cruise video from our last cruise. The lengthy section showing folk boarding the ship made it look like a cruise full of Pensioners with most people seemingly in wheelchairs or with sticks. The video was so bad ( and to be fair unrepresentative of the cruise) that I said to my wife if this ever found its way into YouTube no one under 50 would ever book a cruise with Celebrity.

Edited by DYKWIA

Ultimately, the things so many find negative and disappointing about X is that they remember the 'good old days.' We want things to be as good as they used to be. But we've all grown a bit jaded about cruising. The first ten times is ALWAYS better than the 31st through 40th cruise. It's human nature.

From my recollection, fares were much higher during the "good old days" and Celebrity never offered perks such as free drink packages. I believe Celebrity is a better value now than in the past, but in some areas, things may not be as good as they were in the past.

Oceania and Viking are much higher priced than most Celebrity categories. We took one cruise on Oceania, and felt that Celebrity was a much better value.

From my recollection, fares were much higher during the "good old days" and Celebrity never offered perks such as free drink packages. I believe Celebrity is a better value now than in the past, but in some areas, things may not be as good as they were in the past.

Oceania and Viking are much higher priced than most Celebrity categories. We took one cruise on Oceania, and felt that Celebrity was a much better value.

Very well said. Bravo.

Define the good old days. Cruise fares are definitely higher, on the average to what they were at least five years ago. As long as you think the "free" drink packages and other perks are "free" they got you right where they want you, just keep the money coming. Value is in the eye of the beholder, the current product being offered is selling for about 30% more than we think it's worth.

Define the good old days. Cruise fares are definitely higher, on the average to what they were at least five years ago. As long as you think the "free" drink packages and other perks are "free" they got you right where they want you, just keep the money coming. Value is in the eye of the beholder, the current product being offered is selling for about 30% more than we think it's worth.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and value is often perceived, but we all appreciate your talking the the time to complain. Must be nice to be able to afford such luxuries and still be able to wish for better days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I spent 87 nights cruising last year... but only 14 of them on Celebrity... something that would have seemed unthinkable only four years ago when I spent 53 out of 53 nights on Celebrity.

The decline in food quality at Tuscan Grill has been the most noticeable for me... I *A*L*W*A*Y*S* used to rave about it in my reviews... but I never even considered it on Eclipse last year. (even at half price and paid for with OBC)

Would I return and book a future cruise with X... probably... but not so readily as in the past. There will always be very fond memories of many thoroughly enjoyable times. The fact that someone else will fill the cabin that I might have occupied bothers me almost exactly as much as it bothers Celebrity.

15 nights, Abu Dhabi to Rome on the Constellation, was only $399pp recently. Great deals can still be found.

From my records, only twice did I pay more than $50pp/night for a Celebrity cruise... and quite often it was $40pp/per night. MOST current prices on Celebrity are nowhere NEAR as good as they were three to seven years ago when the food and service was noticeably better.

Edited by teecee60

The next two years we will not be on a Celebrity ship after doing over 40 cruises and achieving elite plus status.

Nancy, sorry that you have reached this decision. I’m also sorry to read some of the rude replies you have received, but don’t worry as it’s par for the course with some here and having been around for a while I know who they are. Anyway those replies reflect badly on the posters making them rather than you. We are all entitled to our opinion.

As regards your comments about the food which seemed to have caused such a furore, I wouldn’t say the food I’ve ordered has been inedible, but on the last cruise having started well and me being quite upbeat about it, it went downhill. Breakfast service in the MDR which should offer a more relaxed and refined experience was a joke on the two occcasions we went there.

Salt on the food has been an issue for me in the past although it wasn’t so much on Constellation at Christmas. There have been other times when I’ve sent back or not eaten food because it’s loaded with salt.

I have noticed a general drop in service around the ship, from dining room to bars and beyond. I believe Celebrity's focus has been on the likes of Luminae and other exclusive areas of the ship, but they have forgotten about the rest. I have received some seriously poor service at times, in fact rude when eating in the MDR, but meanwhile they fawn over you in Luminae.

I’ll be on Solstice with good friends later this month. I will be eating in Luminae for most of it because those friends are in suites and I’ll pay to eat with them. Like you I’ll probably do the buffet as I really like it there too. I’ll eat in the Specialties a few times. I will avoid the main dining room and pay extra to eat.

I used to really enjoy the Martini Bar, but the awful loud music they play there now drives me away and this is a common theme around the ships now. I’m not deaf yet!

I will see how it goes later this month and hope that the service is better and the noise around the ship is at a reasonable level. I’m not going to give it up just yet. Fortunately at least I discovered Azamara, a line with no class distinction on food and service. I have really enjoyed them, but I’m afraid that now the Royal Caribbean bean counters have their claws in. We will see how that goes.

Good luck with your decision on cruiselines. There certainly are plenty to choose from.

Phil

Just back from a 14 day cruise on the eclipse and all of us at a table of 8 agreed that the food in the Mdr was excellent with the exception of the lava cake but I think we can allow for one item not being very good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums