Dress Code for dinner

Kingofcool1947

IMHO it's not proper attire for the MDR or specialty restaurants on Oceania, maybe on Carnival Princess or Norwegian . If you choose to eat dinner every night at the buffet in the Terrace Cafe it's fine.

We where on the LA to Papeett cruise January 2017 and 90% of men wore sport jackets and or button down shirts.

In the specialty restaurants I would say around 98%.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Forums mobile app

Collared buttoned shirts -absolutely. As for jackets, you must have hit an anomaly. I've never seen more than 25-35% sports jackets on any O ship (MDR or specialty).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They did not allow jeans in any restaurant at night by the way. That was a nice breath of fresh air. Some Pax seem to take smart casual as anything but..

Maybe more people should read the actual dress code, instead of making it up for what they prefer. You do know that it's only non casual jeans that's banned. Here it is again,

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, or tennis shoes not be worn in the restaurants after 6 PM. Baseball caps may be worn in the Terrace Café after 6 PM.

King, wear what you want. I know I do and the last thing I want to bring on a cruise, unless it's required, is a dinner jacket, dress shirt, tie or dress shoes.

Hey, you're on vacation. You should feel comfortable. As long as you conform to O's minimum country club casual rules, and it sounds like you definitely plan to, you'll be fine.

Maybe more people should read the actual dress code, instead of making it up for what they prefer. You do know that it's only non casual jeans that's banned. Here it is again,

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, or tennis shoes not be worn in the restaurants after 6 PM. Baseball caps may be worn in the Terrace Café after 6 PM.

Upon entering the Grand dining room/Specialty rest. it simply said ball caps/jeans are not permitted after 6PM. With the exception of this one 20 +/- kid, no one wore jeans at night.

Collared buttoned shirts -absolutely. As for jackets, you must have hit an anomaly. I've never seen more than 25-35% sports jackets on any O ship (MDR or specialty).

Here's how we saw it on the Riviera on our Jan. 12 trip. About 10% wearing polo style shirts. A few Guayabera shirts(again a little less than 10%). Most of the rest, a mix of long & short sleeve collared dressy type shirts. About 30% had sport coats in the Grand dining room. Surprisingly over 75% wore them in the specialty rest. This is generally opposite of what I've seen on other cruise lines where specialty rest. were just smart casual. A few(less than 20pax)wore ties. Rest were "open" shirt, no tie. Only one person wore jeans at night(that I saw)we ventured around the ship a lot. I'm sure someone else wore jeans, but only saw this one "20 something" wear the exact same jeans every night, yet his extended family wore sport coats & really nice clothes every night.

Just about the only thing that will get you removed from the GDR is shorts. On our Jan 3 cruise on Riviera, a man and his wife were standing in line and he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. We were two behind him and when he approached the desk, he was told they will not accommodate him wearing shorts. He left and returned in slacks.

IMHO, the only specialty restaurant where people tend to dress up more is Jacques.

We have dined at some of the finest restaurants around the world and nice jeans were always present. As a result, DH is intending to wear nice jeans to dinner along with a sportsjacket Hope this won't cause problems.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Greetings,

I will be on Sirena next month for an 8 day Cuba cruise.

I dont plan on taking a suit or sport coat.

Just a Guayabera shirt, Hawaiian shirt, linen and docker pants, and huarache shoes. Will these be acceptable wear for evening dining in the MDR and specialty restaurants?

Thank you.

You didn't ask however I would like to know if that dress is acceptable in Cuba at night at the various outings?

We have dined at some of the finest restaurants around the world and nice jeans were always present. As a result, DH is intending to wear nice jeans to dinner along with a sportsjacket Hope this won't cause problems.

depends on the Maitre'd you may get lucky or you may enjoy the buffet

You have seen the dress code posted it is up to you to decide if YOU are special or not:evilsmile:

Other than the fact that any savvy traveler will tell you that any jeans are a bad choice for travel (weight, drying time, non-insulating in cold climates and the exact opposite in warm places), there is a common sense of decorum that sets premium/luxury lines apart from the mass market (e.g., Carnival, RCCL, etc. where "nice jeans" abound (along with wifebeater tee shirts and backwards-turned baseball caps).

Would it kill hubby to pack a pair of khakis?

Eartha - you will probably encounter a few fellow passengers who will clutch their pearls and grab for their smelling salts (looks like a few have posted after you!). But the Oceania site itself asks to avoid "casual" jeans. You specified "nice" jeans, which should be perfectly fine. Despite those busy-body types who would dictate what your husband wears or packs, I'm sure we've all seen very sharp-looking men with a nice pair of jeans and a sports jacket. That, according to some here, should be shamed while the man at the next table, stuffed like a pork sausage into a small casing and decked out in a pair of ill-fitting Dockers and polo shirt looks just fine.

Worry not! Most of your fellow cruisers are not so obsessed with your husband's nice jeans.

Thank you MarkieMark, for the words of reassurance. Not trying to be different or difficult; DH just wants to be comfortable. Husband is an experienced world traveler who has always traveled in nice jeans. No amount of money would persuade him to don a polo shirt. Never. Ever. It's just not his style. Hopefully he won't offend too many others.

Well I need to wash up my good bib overalls, and maybe put a little Press to’em, so I can tell the Maitre de those are my Sunday go to Meeting dress bibs! Carhardts aren’t cheap! I just want to be comfortable, and all, with plenty of room to expand with all that good food they serve up! Will it help me get in if I wear me a John Deere hat and promise to take it off at the table? People won’t look funny at me will they, I just like being comfortable, and them bib overalls , they’re dressy for me!

We are looking forward to our first Oceania Cruise this fall after many years of cruising from mass market to luxury (Regent/Crystal...). We have come to realize that attire is regional, cultural, and generational. Hawaiian shirts and cowboy boots with string ties are regionally appropriate in virtually any setting. We live on the California coast, and I truly can’t think of a restaurant including the most venerable/traditional/elegant where “dressy jeans” with lovely tops and shoes (ladies) or dress shirts (men) would be inappropriate. My mother was afraid that my 63 year old brother and my son would be “refused entrance” to the fine restaurant where we held her 90th birthday party. Neither of them owns a suit nor do they need one at work or at leisure. Once Mom saw the range from cocktail dresses and suits to ball caps and jeans, she understood that the norms of her East Coast childhood no longer applied in this time and our area. The CEO’s of the Millennial generation wear t-shirts to board meetings and a requirement to remove hats indoors is no more relevant to many than my mother’s dictum that one doesn’t wear white after Labor Day. Some areas of the country are far more traditional and formal—understood. Clean and neat—of course. However please don’t look at peoples’ clothing choices as a sign of disrespect or assume that one’s own region/culture/age groups choices are superior.

Ptiprof;

Do I just need to ensure I do well defined creases ironed into my bib overalls so to have my regional preferences appear acceptable? According to you , maybe I don’t need to remove my John Deere hat after all!

well i need to wash up my good bib overalls, and maybe put a little press to’em, so i can tell the maitre de those are my sunday go to meeting dress bibs! Carhardts aren’t cheap! I just want to be comfortable, and all, with plenty of room to expand with all that good food they serve up! Will it help me get in if i wear me a john deere hat and promise to take it off at the table? People won’t look funny at me will they, i just like being comfortable, and them bib overalls , they’re dressy for me!

ptiprof;

do i just need to ensure i do well defined creases ironed into my bib overalls so to have my regional preferences appear acceptable? According to you , maybe i don’t need to remove my john deere hat after all!

Or prefer to wear dressy bib overalls? :)

Hope someday I will meet up with you on an cruise.

4A919ACC-D50D-44FF-B3A0-5A9B4B7F324C_zpsku6o2y4w.jpeg

Edited by Kingofcool1947

My mother was afraid that my 63 year old brother and my son would be “refused entrance” to the fine restaurant where we held her 90th birthday party. Neither of them owns a suit nor do they need one at work or at leisure. Once Mom saw the range from cocktail dresses and suits to ball caps and jeans, she understood that the norms of her East Coast childhood no longer applied in this time and our area.

We were brought up to dress for the occasion, and what may be the norm for others didn't sound so for your mother. What would it have hurt for guests to honor your mother and her occasion by dressing to her tastes, not theirs?

I have never been on a cruise and I have asked about Oceania, not just policy but about what people wear. I do feel saddened that we would pay thousands to go on a luxurious cruise with amazing food and dining and even consider wearing jeans.. Surely, this is the most appropriate time of our short lives to "dress up"..

I tend to only wear ties to funerals now but I look pretty dapper with a nice jacket, slacks and open neck shirt. I look run of the mill in jean, just normal.

Here we are, on a fantastic cruise, with fantastic people and we would consider trying to dumb down what we wear to get past some relaxed dress code.

Personally, I think we should be dressing to impress - Ourselves. If jeans impress you, then maybe stay at home, don your pj's and grab a takeaway.

Mark

ps. wow, contentious

I have never been on a cruise and I have asked about Oceania, not just policy but about what people wear.

Personally, I think we should be dressing to impress - Ourselves. If jeans impress you, then maybe stay at home, don your pj's and grab a takeaway.

If you are dressing to impress..... go for it but don’t tell other people to stay home. That is arrogant. Particularly from someone who has never been on a cruise. I could throw that right back at you, that with your fantastic expectations maybe you should stay home. You should lower your expectations.

We were brought up to dress for the occasion, and what may be the norm for others didn't sound so for your mother. What would it have hurt for guests to honor your mother and her occasion by dressing to her tastes, not theirs?

It's entirely possible that ptiprof knows his/her mother more than you do and that her birthday dinner was a complete success.

Or perhaps not.

If you are dressing to impress..... go for it but don’t tell other people to stay home. That is arrogant. Particularly from someone who has never been on a cruise. I could throw that right back at you, that with your fantastic expectations maybe you should stay home. You should lower your expectations.

+1.

Many here are far too focused on the attire of other guests while they're on vacation. If one is so obsessed with the dress/habits of others, why not stay home and let people who wish to enjoy their vacations do so without your tsk-tsking?

I love that some here can't imagine one looking fashionably great while wearing jeans. I assume it's a reflection of their imagination - or perhaps they just don't get out much.

Showing up in a pair of comfort fit Lee blue jeans is just, and claiming them to be dress jeans is just as ludicrous as me showing up in bib overalls claiming them to be dressy! I’ve witnessed many show up to the various restaurants in jeans, and turn away, because only in their mind were the jeans dressy and not casual! It’s no different than a decade ago when people started showing up in slick fabric sweat suits acting like they were dressy! No they’re sweat suits! 98% of the blue jeans sold are no dressier than sweat pants, and a very low percentage of people wearing blue jeans, attempting entrance into the GDR or Specialties, are wearing one of those 2% of blue jeans that might pass as dressy. However, all of them like making a scene and arguing with the Matre de over the issue!