Dress Code for dinner

Kingofcool1947

I’d have no problem with a single formal night. Have it in the GDR, disperse the Captain and his Senior Staff throughout the tables. Bring in the String Quartets for enjoyment. Nothing mandatory, letting those not wishing to take part eat that the other multiple dining options. Advertise well in advance the precise evening for the formal dining event so all passengers can prepare as they see fit.

It would be an additional dining option. Why should anyone oppose? Anyone other than those whose spouse wants to attend and they don’t! LOL!

Just where would everyone else eat? Seating is limited in the specialties so the rest of us can go to the buffet?

I am really amazed how people TRY to be argumentative and sound "insulted" when some one makes a statement on this board, "wishing" for ONE "different" thing or a small change....

- If I remember right,Ken the Cruiser has always praised "the buffet" and how much he enjoys it ,so why would you be bothered if there was one formal night at GDR?

- Harry has said he likes A LOT of things about Oceania,and WISHES there was a formal night ,he did NOT say it HAS to be there, so why are you (MARK) suggesting he should go to another cruise line.. it is not up to any of us to tell others to go somewhere else.... don't act like you have "ownership" .. ,

You are rather spectacularly missing the point.

I'm correctly stating that one can dress formally if one wishes. Similarly, one can choose a buffet, the GDR, or a specialty if one wishes. Oceania is big on "choice".

Those who are supporting a "formal night", when those who don't wish to dress formally can eat somewhere else, are the ones who would impose their will on everyone.

I didn't "tell others to go somewhere else". I suggested that there are options.

Try to read carefully before getting upset and saying that I am claiming "ownership". I choose my words to explicitly communicate what I'm trying to say. I can only hope that readers are similarly conscious of the importance of language.

Edited by MarkieMarkNYC

I'm guessing there's quite a bit of exaggeration in his story. It reads more like a self-aggrandizing fantasy.

That happened in Nov.2008. It wasn't an exaggeration. Sorry but it was just totally disgusting. Fine by me if you naysayers are all right with dress like that on a "formal" line, sorry but I'm not.

That happened in Nov.2008. It wasn't an exaggeration. Sorry but it was just totally disgusting. Fine by me if you naysayers are all right with dress like that on a "formal" line, sorry but I'm not.

I still question the scenario as presented as well as your response. Maybe it's all true. I doubt it.

That said, no one here has said that it's "all right with dress like that on a 'formal' line".

There seems to be limited reading proficiency here tonight.

Reading is fundamental.

We don't often get the chance to don black ties. Personally, I like doing this, so, do other people not like it?

Mark

No we do not care for formal nights that is why we cruise on Oceania

As I posted earlier you are free to dress up if you choose

no one will care one way or the other

If I remember right,Ken the Cruiser has always praised "the buffet" and how much he enjoys it ,so why would you be bothered if there was one formal night at GDR?

This is correct. But we also like to eat in the specialty restaurants where the mandates of a formal night would more than likely extend to if implemented.

Reading all the comments and having posted one myself, I thought I would be brave and post another.

It is obvious some people care more than others. This might be why one person will say they felt the amount of jackets were 85%+ whilst someone else on the same cruise may say less than 40%

Our perception is just different. This is why on another thread I asked for photos of people in the restaurants. Not that I felt anyone would be taking specific pictures of others. Just that I thought there may be some people milling around in the background. I was trying to get a wider perception.

Some people aren't able to confront head on, others are.

You may have heard of the broken window syndrome? If not google it but imagine if you are happy to go to dinner wearing shorts or jeans and you hear stories or see people doing it or getting away with it. At what point will you feel there is an issue? 1% 5% 20% of people dressed like this? Or would you feel ok joining in?

For the people getting upset at some posts. It may be because some people feel strongly that after forking out 10k plus that the evenings deserve more respect. On the other hand some will not give two hoots. Great dining opportunities perhaps shouldn't be thought of as what can I get away with but maybe this is my opportunity to feel and wear something special. I am pretty sure the majority of women I have met in my life would jump at the chance of dressing up. Maybe that is just my perception. But the videos and photos and research on cruising I have done plays this out.

For instance, I imagine most people won't be happy wearing the same day time clothes they wore to.the evening meals. I'm a jeans and t shirt guy but I wouldn't even contemplate it. However, there will be some who would, perhaps will try and perhaps will get away with it.

As far as I can tell, a collared shirt, slacks and shoes for men would be considered the minimum. I am looking forward to wearing a nice jacket. My wife is looking forward to wearing and buying:) some nice dresses.

If I saw someone manage to get into a dining room wearing innappropriate gear. I would feel the need to do something about it. Like the other poster who said they approached the man, I can see how that would make sense. Have a quiet word in his lughole rather than making a big deal out of it. But in my book the person would be an idiot turning up like that and you simply can't argue with idiots. Is idiot a strong word? We shall see.

In terms of how many others feel that would be the right thing to get this person removed? My perception would be the overwhelming majority. I would just feel I was doing the right thing by educating someone that they can't turn up to a nice restaurant in shorts.

There have been some wise cracks on this thread and others about turning up with bibs and pitch forks but if you normally wear that kind of stuff. That is fine. Just not suitable for a cruise probably. Definitely not for dinner. Time to buy slacks and shirts.

Wow this is long.

I for one want to start a petition for a black tie night.

Happy cruising

Mark:evilsmile:

We found Oceania to have a decent mix overall. Only one pax wore jeans at night. The country club casual was a good name. Nice shirts/pants/shoes Sport coats were worn mostly in the specialty rest. Some worn in the MDR. The issue on Cunard back in 2008 was a real fluke. This was a pax who decided to purposely flaunt dressing like a true slob. Yes, I called him on it. I did NOT yell at him. I told him we(the pax around him)book a cruise on Cunard because we like the formal style. When he laughed at me, I just went & got the Maître D. I did tell the Maître D that if this person was going to stay, I would then get the hotel mgr. & file a formal complaint. The guy was told please leave & dress properly for the occasion. He was never seen again. Being at least 6'6" you'd be kind of hard to spot. We figure he either stayed in his cabin the entire time or departed at the port the next day. When it comes to the dress code now a days, I only complain to the Maître D when I see shorts & T shirt at night & only in the MDR.

I think your right. The story likely is fantasy. I have been on the QM2. Can’t imagine anyone going to dinner in shorts and a wife beater or managing to get into the dining room dressed like that.

Sorry, Chuck but it DID happen. Is it the norm? of course not! This was one guy who wanted to cause an uproar & I called him on it.

I'm confused. Is there something preventing either of you from choosing another cruise line that caters mostly to adults and requires formal attire?

Part of Oceania's appeal is the more relaxed dress code. For those of us who like that, it means less to pack, schlep, and don.

I have traveled on Cunard a number of times and packed a tux, a couple of sports coats, various ties, etc. It was fine but to me it felt like a hassle. I'm glad to have an option that still feels relatively upscale without the strict formalities.

Go check out the Cunard board. There's a large thread addressing concerns that their dress code may be relaxed.

The clutching of pearls and grabbing of smelling salts is a sight to behold.

Remember "MarkiMark" each cruise line has it's shtick... Cunard: formal traditions of ocean liner travel/Carnival: The fun ships/Princess overall middle of the road unpretentiousness/NCL: ultimate casual/HAL: intergenerational travel. The list goes on. When you "dumb" down the experience, then WHAT makes one line different from another. That's the reason I can see pax on Cunard "clutching" their pearls as you'd say it. With Oceania, it's Country Club Casual & the Best food at sea(really close on the food)The dress style was as advertised. More relaxed but still nice overall.

I still question the scenario as presented as well as your response. Maybe it's all true. I doubt it.

That said, no one here has said that it's "all right with dress like that on a 'formal' line".

There seems to be limited reading proficiency here tonight.

Reading is fundamental.

Like I said it was an obvious set up & the guy wanted to see who would react & so I did.

You are rather spectacularly missing the point.

I'm correctly stating that one can dress formally if one wishes. Similarly, one can choose a buffet, the GDR, or a specialty if one wishes. Oceania is big on "choice".

Those who are supporting a "formal night", when those who don't wish to dress formally can eat somewhere else, are the ones who would impose their will on everyone.

I didn't "tell others to go somewhere else". I suggested that there are options.

Try to read carefully before getting upset and saying that I am claiming "ownership". I choose my words to explicitly communicate what I'm trying to say. I can only hope that readers are similarly conscious of the importance of language.

On our Jan. trip on the Riviera only one guy wore a tux & for just one night. Everyone else had the nice shirt/nice slacks. Some sport coats, few ties. Strangely, most sport coats were worn in the specialty rest, especially Jacques. We did book the Riviera again for next Jan. The itinerary is nice(though Cuba got cancelled)the food excellent & the cruise very relaxing.

On our Jan. trip on the Riviera only one guy wore a tux & for just one night. Everyone else had the nice shirt/nice slacks. Some sport coats, few ties. Strangely, most sport coats were worn in the specialty rest, especially Jacques. We did book the Riviera again for next Jan. The itinerary is nice(though Cuba got cancelled)the food excellent & the cruise very relaxing.

If a particular person was on board...he might have been in the minority without jacket...note last paragraph

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42911981&postcount=59

I'm really surprised to read some of the comments on this thread. As most people know, Regent is the luxury sister to Oceania and they have the same dress code. The only difference is on cruises over 15 nights when there may be one or two "formal optional" nights. On these nights, the majority of passengers still wear "elegant casual" - generally with a jacket but not required while others wear tuxedos. Three out of four luxury lines have done away with required formal nights (Silversea has mostly European passengers and are still quite formal).

On our two Oceania cruises, I noticed that about 50% of men wore sports jackets in specialty restaurants. No one gave "looks" to those that did not - as long as they followed the dress code. The MDR was different with less men wearing jackets but still wearing collared shirts and slacks. The only area that I have a snarky comment to make is the Terrace Cafe where it looked like a backyard barbecue. However, if this is how Oceania would like their passengers to dress, so be it.

I'm really surprised to read some of the comments on this thread. As most people know, Regent is the luxury sister to Oceania and they have the same dress code. The only difference is on cruises over 15 nights when there may be one or two "formal optional" nights. On these nights, the majority of passengers still wear "elegant casual" - generally with a jacket but not required while others wear tuxedos. Three out of four luxury lines have done away with required formal nights (Silversea has mostly European passengers and are still quite formal).

On our two Oceania cruises, I noticed that about 50% of men wore sports jackets in specialty restaurants. No one gave "looks" to those that did not - as long as they followed the dress code. The MDR was different with less men wearing jackets but still wearing collared shirts and slacks. The only area that I have a snarky comment to make is the Terrace Cafe where it looked like a backyard barbecue. However, if this is how Oceania would like their passengers to dress, so be it.

Are you saying there is no barbeque style cuisine offered at the Terrace Cafe? Is there an outdoor dining area at the Terrace Cafe?

Are you saying there is no barbeque style cuisine offered at the Terrace Cafe? Is there an outdoor dining area at the Terrace Cafe?

Never mind my questions. I was thinking cuisine at lunch. I checked the Oceania website re: Terrace Cafe and lunch menu and found my answers..

Apologies. My bad. :(

King

Pretty close to what we saw.

Appreciate reading these varied postings. Am getting ready for our first Oceania sailing. In mid November, 2018, just seven months away, we are doing an Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania on the Nautica. This will include our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. Like getting these insights and tips for a first-timer with this cruise line.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 199,806 views for this posting.

Yes - there is an outdoor dining area. My point wasn't that there is barbecue stye cuisine in the Terrace Cafe, it was that passengers dress like their were in their backyard (jeans, shorts, overalls - most quite sloppy). While this type of dress is fine for during the day, when you are on premium-plus/luxury lite cruise line, to dress in this fashion in the evening, In my opinion, is disrespectful.

Yes - there is an outdoor dining area. My point wasn't that there is barbecue stye cuisine in the Terrace Cafe, it was that passengers dress like their were in their backyard (jeans, shorts, overalls - most quite sloppy). While this type of dress is fine for during the day, when you are on premium-plus/luxury lite cruise line, to dress in this fashion in the evening, In my opinion, is disrespectful.

But the only person your opinion matters to is you. Or possibly other like minded people.

In some people's opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with shorts in the Terrace at any time. That's actually part of the draw, to not have to get all gussied up for dinner.

We've all paid our fare, whose money is worth more? If you are wearing what Oceania asks of you then it doesn't really matter what some buttoned up person thinks.

I find the use of the term disrespectful to be very disrespectful of those that follow the dress code.

Never mind my questions. I was thinking cuisine at lunch. I checked the Oceania website re: Terrace Cafe and lunch menu and found my answers..

King

Thanks. As recommended and opinion by many here, I plan on changing to approved dressy (no jeans, shorts, or t-shirts), Resort Wear for dinner when I dine at the Terrace Cafe, and all dinner venues, I may consider wearing a sport coat, if I see other gents wearing them.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Hi Jo-b,

I don't know if you need your pictures to be discreet, just go table to table in the name of research. I am sure they won't mind...

What did you wear when he wore his bow tie?

Mark

No idea now I'm afraid but nothing dressy, it was a very snazzy hand tied one with varied materials in shades of pink and went with a pink jacket he had (looked better than it sounds honestly!!) but not a formal DJ type bow tie, so I didn't need a ballgown :)

ORV;

My personal opinion,on this issue, is that in the past the vast majority of people that could afford cruising recognized a very distinct difference between casual attire and grunge. That capacity today seems to have been diluted. While I 100% agree with your statement about shorts and T shirts being casual and perfectly acceptable in the Terrace, sweatpants, wife beaters, gym shorts, etc. are considered grunge by many, while some apparently just consider them casual. I believe Travelcats point is that when some cruisers make those decisions to go grunge at dinner in the Terrace, as opposed to casual, it matters in somes eyes.

Is there a lower limit to casual, or is everything permissible ( short of swim wear) in the definition of casual?

My goodness people

Just do not wear t-shirts, shorts or jeans to the GDR or specialties for dinner closed toed shoes for men, no beach sandals

The Terrace jeans & dress shorts are acceptable for dinner

no swimwear

Wear a full tux & ballgown if it make you happy

no one will care

it is not rocket science

Much ado about nothing

My goodness people

Just do not wear t-shirts, shorts or jeans to the GDR or specialties for dinner closed toed shoes for men, no beach sandals

The Terrace jeans & dress shorts are acceptable for dinner

no swimwear

Wear a full tux & ballgown if it make you happy

no one will care

it is not rocket science

Much ado about nothing

But what about my dressy jeans? :mad:

Just kidding, just kidding.

King

Never bad questions! Just bad answers. You'll find the terrace to be really a nice place. You can order food & in most cases they'll bring it to your table. We were on Riviera, which is larger than Sirena & some of the other ships. I hear they are building another Riviera size ship to be launched fairly soon. Kind of disappointed that Cuba has been taken off our agenda. You'll at least have the full tour of the island.