Which airport is the least worst to fly out of? (like that grammar?!)

Have flown frequently through all three. I would say it depends upon your airline. Depending upon the airline there are advantages and disadvantages to all three. Have actually had less problems with Newark.

I would check the flights. If making connections I would check the terminal layouts for that airline (sometimes you do have to exit security and go to a different terminal between domestic and international, though they have reduced some of that in recent years).

https://www.amny.com/transit/laguardia-airport-construction-explained-renovation-plans-timeline-funding-and-more-1.12268455

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/laguardia-airport-is-getting-a-makeover-what-to-expect

To answer another post for completion date for LAG renovation, YEARS! Read the above articles to get an idea of what is planned. I've heard over 10 years.

I've flown in and out of all three airports since 1967. I even flew from JFK to LGA once. 7 minutes. No beverage service on that flight.

Assuming your ship docks in Brooklyn (we've docked there). JFK and LGA are the closest. Newark (EWR) is in the next state and a trip there requires two bridges/tunnels which can be choke points for traffic. Not that the traffic to JFK or LGA is any picnic, but if you use a taxi/Uber/Lyft the driver can navigate about jams. We used Uber last time from Brooklyn to our hotel in Manhattan. We then used Uber to JFK a few days later. Worked fine. If your ship docks in Manhattan, then you will face the bridge/tunel problem no matter what airport you choose, but LGA will be the closest.

LGA is the smallest. It is being renovated and, while never a fun place, is less fun now. Traffic to get into the airport from the entrance can be awful.

JFK has multiple terminals which, except for terminals 7 and 8, are not connected. My last couple of times transiting 7 and 8 (American Airlines) required going through security again. I do not know whether that has been cured.

Apply for TSA Pre-Check ($85) or Global Entry ($100, which includes pre-check), to go on shorter security lines and not have to get undressed. Global Entry has expanded to some cruise ports; we have skipped an hour long line in Vancouver on a day with three ships in at Canada Place. I think we used it in Port Everglades as well.

New York City public transportation is not a good alternative if you have luggage. Not good as in you will encounter barriers through which you cannot get your luggage in. The Airtrain from JFK to Jamaica is fine, but taking the E train to or from Jamaica should only be done with a rollaboard. Taking public transportation from Red Hook pier in Brooklyn to either NYC airport is well nigh impossible. (When I travel on business to New York with only a rollaboard, I take the Airtrain to the E Train, and then to my stop in Manhattan. And, if it is during the rush hour, you will encounter hostility, or, at least what seems to non-New Yorkers to be hostility.)

I know that LGA(LaGuardia) and Newark(EWR) are not the most fun airports, but will be flying home from a cruise that docks and disembarks in NYC (well, probably Brooklyn?). Can book flights home from either airport. Is one "better" than the other as far as getting there by taxi or whatever form I use, getting to gate without getting completely lost, etc. Thanks for your input.

Pooh

LaGuardia is the closest but JFK is the "best" .

After 4 recent flights in and out of EWR, I will avoid that airport like the plague. We only used them due to the non-stop flights there. We have Global Entry and even still, the lines were long. The United reps are horrible at check-in. They have a downright nasty attitude like I've only seen in one other place - JFK. That said, I'd still choose JFK over EWR. At least with JFK, they're a little more prepared for a lot of travelers and it's closer to the ports.

Personal preference. I actually prefer JFK and have never had an issue using the Airtrain and subsequent subway to reach midtown or downtown Manhattan and could get to BKLYN just as easily. I find that easy, personally. LGA is my second choice. It doesn't have the same mass transit options offered from JFK and always take a taxi into the city. Not a fan of EWR as that can be a real dead zone for late night flights. Have been stuck there with little or no food options late at night. That being said, I am flying into LGA in a week and a few days later flying out of EWR. For me, the flight dictates more so than the particular airport choice.

I know that LGA(LaGuardia) and Newark(EWR) are not the most fun airports, but will be flying home from a cruise that docks and disembarks in NYC (well, probably Brooklyn?). Can book flights home from either airport. Is one "better" than the other as far as getting there by taxi or whatever form I use, getting to gate without getting completely lost, etc. Thanks for your input.

Pooh

2 of the worst.

There are some excellent security reasons to limit seating in the parts of airline terminals prior to clearing TSA security. Bottom line is that the experts do not want to encourage folks (who have not cleared security) to be sitting or even waiting around airports. That being said, we are no fans of any of the NYC airports although we have often flown out of EWR and will again be heading to JFK this week.

Red Hook is really not convenient to any of the 3 airports. At the current time we would opt for either JFK or EWR....because of the construction happening in and around LGA. The truth is that Red Hook is not convenient to anyone (except those that live in Brooklyn, Queens or perhaps Nassau County. Even the NYC taxi drivers do not want to take fares to Red Hook :).

Hank

There are some excellent security reasons to limit seating in the parts of airline terminals prior to clearing TSA security. Bottom line is that the experts do not want to encourage folks (who have not cleared security) to be sitting or even waiting around airports.

Thank you for this response to the earlier comments about seating in the airports. We definitely have a different approach to the pre-security experience here. No lollygagging about allowed. :) I have to say I don't understand the comment about not being able to check in -- what about kiosks and online check-in?

I agree that each airport has its limitations and you will just have to weigh which inconveniences you can live with. None are going to be a good experience. Even the elite lounges can be loud and crowded because our airports are just too old and too crowded and too small, and hemmed in on all sides with no room to grow.

I fly domestic through LGA quite often (I live nearest to it). The construction is inconvenient but I just leave extra time and try to avoid rush hour traffic. You can't judge today what it might be like next week because they are continually changing the traffic patterns within the airport around the construction. We only use JFK when we fly internationally because it's farther for us so the taxi costs more. From Red Hook I would choose the better flight time and price since the time and distance (therefore taxi cost) from there is so similar between LGA and JFK. Maybe a slight edge to JFK because of the construction at LGA, but not much. At JFK your security experience can vary widely as different airlines own the different terminals. Sometimes it's very slow, sometimes fairly efficient.

I am not a fan of Newark because, as a prior post mentions, you have to cross two rivers to get there, and any bridge or tunnel can become a traffic nightmare.

Thank you for this response to the earlier comments about seating in the airports. We definitely have a different approach to the pre-security experience here. No lollygagging about allowed. :) I have to say I don't understand the comment about not being able to check in -- what about kiosks and online check-in?

Check-in via Internet? Yes.

Check your luggage before the airport allowed check-in time? No.

So if you have no luggage to check, no waiting in the pre-security area necessary.

Personally I despise JFK airport. I flown thru it twice going to or from a Med cruise. The first time, I thought it was just a fluke. The 2nd time was just as awful, and I knew I never wanted to be there again, and certainly don't plan to.

It's an absolute zoo, simply swarming with people, endless lines, and a general feeling of chaos.

I feel about the same way about Dulles in DC. What a pit!!

LAX is on the top of my list at the moment, had a bad experience there last weekend after getting off the Emerald Princess. I know people don't like ATL but my experience with Hartsfield has always been good. I try to avoid flights going through NY, I'm going through Philly for my NE cruise this Fall.

Personally I despise JFK airport. I flown thru it twice going to or from a Med cruise. The first time, I thought it was just a fluke. The 2nd time was just as awful, and I knew I never wanted to be there again, and certainly don't plan to.

It's an absolute zoo, simply swarming with people, endless lines, and a general feeling of chaos.

I feel about the same way about Dulles in DC. What a pit!!

So, if you were looking for a decent deal on a non-stop flight to Asia...from the Northeast....which airport would you use?

Hank

So, if you were looking for a decent deal on a non-stop flight to Asia...from the Northeast....which airport would you use?

Hank

I would drive cross-country and take a cruise out of LA or San Diego to Asia. Yes, sarcasm, but I hate airports and flying now that they treat you like cattle in a feed lot and stuff you in like sardines in a can. Not to mention the sexual assault by the TSA at security. Why would anyone fly if not a matter of life or death.

Despite LAX getting a bad rap, I find it is one of the EASIEST airports on the face of the planet to drive into/out of. Especially when one considers that it IS the 5th busiest airport in the world and the 2nd busiest airport in the US. Now the traffic outside of the airport, that's another story! Compared to other airports, it may seem like it is crude and outdated but it does an EXCELLENT job at moving the crowds, quite efficiently, actually. The U-pattern layout of the terminals makes it a breeze to make your way from one terminal to another, walking or driving.

Good job, LAX !!!

Way to go, LAX !!!

FWIW the best airports that I've flown in or out of are Schiphol AMS, Amsterdam, SIN Singapore, and JRS Jerusalem.

All US airports are horrible but PBI in West Palm Beach is better than most in my opinion.

We usually fly out of EWR in Newark and found that by arriving very early (sometimes allowing three hours) reduces the stress. We are always behind in our New York Times stack of newspapers so we bring a stack of them to read while we wait and just throw them out in the airport trash. We also watch other passengers with their kids, their pets, and their dress. All sometimes quite amusing.

Howard

It's an absolute zoo, simply swarming with people, endless lines, and a general feeling of chaos

!!

ITA about JFK. I've never had a worse experience coming back into the country than at JFK this past Dec. And my husband and I both have Global Entry so that is not the problem. Rude, indifferent personnel, and very chaotic and nonsensical routing from one point to another. We actually had to get loaded on a city-type bus with our luggage to move from one terminal to another. At another point we had to walk outside uncovered for a fair bit get where they directed us. This was in Dec so it was cold, and I can only imagine if it was pouring rain or snowing. After using efficient, comfortable airports in other countries, our domestic airports are lagging....

When we finally made it to our gate, an outside door was broken and stuck open, and it was *freezing* in the gate area and smelled of jet exhaust. Flying out through JFK has been okay, but I wouldn't come back in if I had any other choice.

Edited by pompeii

I would never fly out of Newark again. When changing planes we had to go back thru security as the new terminal was outside the secure zone. Many people missed follow on flights due to the long lines. Worst airport we have ever been in.

Same here! We were on a land tour for 16 days and flew home from Tel Aviv to Newark. Our flight from Tel Aviv was delayed on the tarmac by one hour!

We had no idea that we had to go through security again and that included picking up our bags at the carousel and checking them back in!!!!!

We missed our connecting flight from Newark to Seattle. No more flights that evening and we luckily found a hotel to stay in (last room available)

Warning to anyone with a connecting flight....never accept a 90 minute layover, especially when it is international. And yes, it was a travel agent who did this (hubby ignored the time consideration). Two hours is a bare minimum for international