Gala night events?

LMaxwell

I believe they do the "chocolate parade" on one of the gala nights. It's new and I haven't attended one, but it's on deck 2 or 3 (main entertainment decks) and they have all sorts of passed dessert bites in the areas where there is also live music.

Speaking of, on the cruises I have taken on gala nights the music is kicked up a notch to be a little more refined in selection. The pianos might add more classical, the on stage entertainment is usually something like a musical instead of a magic show, things like that.

Probably right; I thought premium lines like HAL would be differentiated from mainstream like Carnival and Royal Caribbean but doesn't appear to be the case.

How did you conclude HAL was a "premium" line - it is a very nice mass market cruise line. Or what exactly do you mean by premium - like Crystal, Regent, Silver Seas or Viking? Not even close if you assumed HAL was in that group. HAL is just nice and offers something a little different (not better or worse - just different) from Celebrity and Princess - which are not "premium" lines either.

Kathy:

Where we will be going will be casual before and after, so don't think we'll need it, but it is a great idea for taking a jacket if you don't want to pack it. Never thought of that! Thank you!

Yes! In the closet it goes! My cats will make a bed out of anything...especially towels. Put a towel down anywhere and they are on it.

Same with any kind of cardboard box.....put it out there and they are in it. They are such entertaining creatures, and we love all 3 of them.

You're welcome. I've never been able to pack a jacket without making it into an accordion, and if all he needs is one jacket, I hate to bother with the garment bag.

We are currently catless, but when we had a cat, I always wore an old t-shirt a day or two before the trip and left it on the floor as a woobie. It would be in a different place (and covered with hair) when we got home.

You're welcome. I've never been able to pack a jacket without making it into an accordion, and if all he needs is one jacket, I hate to bother with the garment bag.

We are currently catless, but when we had a cat, I always wore an old t-shirt a day or two before the trip and left it on the floor as a woobie. It would be in a different place (and covered with hair) when we got home.

I had a cat years ago that used to steal undies (mine and DH's) out of the laundry basket and run around the house with them. Thank God he outgrew that habit. He was a little stinker as a kitten......full of mischief.

Yes years ago we would take a big garment bag for long gowns, and suits and such. I don't think my back (or his) would survive lugging all that around plus two big pieces of luggage plus carry ons........aargghh!:eek:

Well, I've spoken to a number of people who rate HAL below Carnival and NCL.
I've spoken to a lot of people who will say anything to try to lash out at a company due to some perceived slight, without regard for what a reasonable perspective might actually be about what they're saying. If you hang out on the Holland America board, you'll hear a lot of unfounded bitterness. If you hang out on the Carnival board, you'll hear a lot of over-exuberant championing. It's just the nature of the loudest voices that demand all the attention on the respective boards.

Carnival is no longer considered a budget line. If you look at pricing, they are most often equal to HAL.
My research for cruises on both lines and assessment of the on-board experience on both lines results in a different conclusion. Carnival is a budget line. Holland America is a mainstream line. If that doesn't work for you then we will have to agree to disagree about it.

I've spoken to a lot of people who will say anything to try to lash out at a company due to some perceived slight, without regard for what a reasonable perspective might actually be about what they're saying. If you hang out on the Holland America board, you'll hear a lot of unfounded bitterness. If you hang out on the Carnival board, you'll hear a lot of over-exuberant championing. It's just the nature of the loudest voices that demand all the attention on the respective boards.

My research for cruises on both lines and assessment of the on-board experience on both lines results in a different conclusion. Carnival is a budget line. Holland America is a mainstream line. If that doesn't work for you then we will have to agree to disagree about it.

Personally, I agree with you 100%. However, try telling that to a loyal Carnival cruiser who thinks they're sailing with the ultimate cruiseline and HAL is perceived as those old ships filled with elderly passengers. Value does not always relate to money, but to one's perception of value.

I don't think that anyone would label HAL a premium line. It's a mainstream line in the same class as RCI, Celebrity, Princess, and some folks would say equal to NCL, MSC and even Carnival. Premium lines would be Azamara, Regent, Oceania, etc. To be honest, all cruiselines offer a much more casual experience ,with the exception being Cunard. Formal nights with all the glitz and glam are a thing of the past. Some people still do dress it up, but most don't. The cruiselines no longer try to make it a special night, except for a slight nod to elegance in the MDR.

I consider RCI, Carnival, NCL to be "Mass-Market/Family Friendly". I consider Princess, Celebrity, HAL to be "Premium" in the way a Buick is a premium product for GM; based on lower end models but with more nice appointments, better service experience, but not the top of the line by any means.

This isn't about dressing up. People can dress up or not dress up, I really don't mind one way or the other, but I was hoping that looking at a premium line (The ones you listed as 'Premium' I consider outright Luxury lines; that's more like the Cadillac, Mercedes, Lexus) I would find some more consistent theming around gala night or bespoke events tied into the concept of a gala evening.

Personally, I agree with you 100%. However, try telling that to a loyal Carnival cruiser who thinks they're sailing with the ultimate cruiseline and HAL is perceived as those old ships filled with elderly passengers. Value does not always relate to money, but to one's perception of value.
I avoid the word "premium" for similar reasons. Too many people think it means "deluxe" when in reality it means nothing more than "something above the nominal". But yes, Carnival fanatics generally think a bit more of their cruise line than the reality and Holland America's longest-time cruisers generally think less of their cruise line than the reality. Different attitudes; bombastic on one side and curmudgeonly on the other.

1. Mass

2. Premium

3. Luxury

1. Low

2. Intermediate

3. High

Whatever.

Yes it really is that simple. Three levels. They aren't multiples of each other but rather *incremental* amounts, one over the previous.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

what would be appropriate dress code on HAL for day / dinner at MDR/ LIDO for woman - is it goign to be warm on ship that you can wear short dress comfortable or woolen pants / sweater while on ship. We are going to Alaska cruise on May 16 and already worried about cold as forecast says it is going to be cooler than average this year with more rain than normal

I would also say I view mass market lines such as RCI/NCL/Carnival as catering to family market or multi-generational; they have big ships year round from popular US ports. You can always catch some flavor of the latest and greatest from those lines for a week of family fun from Florida, year round. Princess, Celebrity, HAL are really much more seasonal and offer more variety for travelers, especially for those with time and money.

HAL is too large for me to consider as a niche or boutique market.

I've always perceived HAL offering higher staff levels and greater passenger space, two items I'd definitely call it a "premium" offering.

That's just my opinion. Some of the pricing for HAL has been attractive. I would like to sail Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam. I'm willing to concede some of the gimmicks and kids oriented activities for a somewhat more pleasant experience (space, service) but I guess I was also hoping there'd be some signature experiences to try out as well.

just got a private offer letter w Caribbean at 429 pp and 3rd guest free. Interesting, wife asked if Hal has formal night, explained they have gala night where you dress to impress. Asked me if there are other events around ship that night or is just in dining room? You tell me

Not exactly sure what 'dress to impress' means. Perhaps somebody here can 'splain it to me. :confused:

If it makes someone feel good to call HAL a premium line then what is the harm?

We have cruised on many lines. From our perspective HAL is definitely mid market, ie a vanilla mass market cruise line. Only the target market, whatever it is, is different. Same as Princess, Celebrity, RCI, etc.

Not exactly sure what 'dress to impress' means. Perhaps somebody here can 'splain it to me. :confused:

It's HAL-speak for "we don't want to have a dress code but we're pretending to have one. So wear what you think is impressive...or not." Interestingly, Cunard is possibly dumbing down its dress code with language that includes "gala" and "dress to impress." They say it's the same dress code they always had with new language, but many long time Cunard fans aren't buying it, especially since a HAL exec has moved over to Cunard.

[quote=OlsSalt;55954132)

There have been captain's toasts in the show room - large crowd and a glass of sparkling welcome cheer - but not sure now if they are on gala night or just any other night. I thought they were gala nights in the past. Been on too many shiips now over 10 years to keep all of this straight. There is always the possibility you will get invited to sit at the captain's table on gala night, so nice to have something special for that occasion. Who gets invited is anyone's guess, but it happened to us last cruise and I was glad I had my long gown with me.

[/quote)

During our last cruise, senior officers hosted tables in the lower dining room on Gala Nights.

We were invited to dine with the Culinary Operations Manager, plus 4 other passengers.

There was also another senior staff member hosting a second table that evening.

If it makes someone feel good to call HAL a premium line then what is the harm?
I agree ... if it makes that someone feel good. If instead it makes them upset, that characterization is causing harm.

Interestingly MSC has two 'formal or whatever' nights per 7 day cruise. We are sailing them in a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite in July. We always cruise Neptune Suite on HAL. There really has not been much comment on the HAL board about MSC or including them in a list of mass-market lines. We are HAL 4-star, because we like the ships and the port-intensive itineraries. HAL will remain our preferred line. But quite frankly the all-inclusive, ship-within-a-ship concept for a cruise like a Caribbean cruise (think Haven+ on NCL) with minimal ports, for the price of an MSC Yacht Club suite is pretty darn enticing. We have three cruises booked. I will report back.

Dennis

Interestingly MSC has two 'formal or whatever' nights per 7 day cruise. We are sailing them in a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite in July. We always cruise Neptune Suite on HAL. There really has not been much comment on the HAL board about MSC or including them in a list of mass-market lines. We are HAL 4-star, because we like the ships and the port-intensive itineraries. HAL will remain our preferred line. But quite frankly the all-inclusive, ship-within-a-ship concept for a cruise like a Caribbean cruise (think Haven+ on NCL) with minimal ports, for the price of an MSC Yacht Club suite is pretty darn enticing. We have three cruises booked. I will report back.

Dennis

Post your Yacht Club thoughts when you get back. I am intrigued by the concept. We've done The Haven in the past and thought it was overpriced for what is offered.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I consider RCI, Carnival, NCL to be "Mass-Market/Family Friendly". I consider Princess, Celebrity, HAL to be "Premium" in the way a Buick is a premium product for GM; based on lower end models but with more nice appointments, better service experience, but not the top of the line by any means.

This isn't about dressing up. People can dress up or not dress up, I really don't mind one way or the other, but I was hoping that looking at a premium line (The ones you listed as 'Premium' I consider outright Luxury lines; that's more like the Cadillac, Mercedes, Lexus) I would find some more consistent theming around gala night or bespoke events tied into the concept of a gala evening.

There are really four categories of cruise lines, as most reviewers see it:

Budget Mass Market (Carnival, NCL, for example)

Better Mass Market (HAL, Princess, Celebrity)

Premium (Oceania, Azamara)

Luxury (Seabourn, Crystal, etc.)

Some I'm not sure how to place -- RCCL, MSC (maybe between Budget and Better Mass Market?) Cunard (between Better Mass Market and Premium?)

I dunno -- perhaps better to just say that there seems to be a spectrum with a line for just about everyone.

I dunno -- perhaps better to just say that there seems to be a spectrum with a line for just about everyone.
I think that's a fair statement but it greatly complicates the issue as the hair-splitting tends to while more focus on putting two, almost-comparable cruise lines in one order or the other. When cruise lines are close enough to each other that people argue more about which one is better than the other than discuss the topic that brought up the question in the first place, I prefer to stick those two cruise lines in the same category.

Beyond that, it isn't clear to me that there are more than three, large, financially-identifiable consumer segments in the marketplace.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

There are really four categories of cruise lines, as most reviewers see it:

Budget Mass Market (Carnival, NCL, for example)

Better Mass Market (HAL, Princess, Celebrity)

Premium (Oceania, Azamara)

Luxury (Seabourn, Crystal, etc.)

Some I'm not sure how to place -- RCCL, MSC (maybe between Budget and Better Mass Market?) Cunard (between Better Mass Market and Premium?)

This is also how we categorize them when planning cruises -- the four groups. We never book from the "budget mass market" group, unless planning a bachelorette party or something where a large group needs affordable fun. We usually choose from the "better mass market," because we want something nicer, but then might step up to the next two levels for a shorter cruise or for some special or extra special occasion. So four for us.

I think the mass market cruise lines are all the same. Only the target market changes.

We have had equally great cruises on RCI, HAL, Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, etc.

For us it comes down to selecting the right ship for us and the right itinerary. There are some HAL ships that we would never consider. Same of other cruise lines.

This, along with the inconsistency in food, service, entertainment, etc, across all of these lines. You can have a first rate experience on a ship and nine months later have an less than perfect experience on the same ship. Next year it could be completely different.

Bottom line....we really could care less about labels. We only care about the ship and itinerary that we happen to be booked or cruising on. The rest is noise level. We read the nonsense from time to time about Carnival being the Walmart of cruise lines or RCI is awful because of this and that. This is simply not our experience. I think that some people's judgement is influenced by their respective egos and/or aspirational goals.

iancal, Yes, I appreciate your comments!

We have been Princess Cruisers. I can't see us on some of the other lines with big ships and water-slides.

The truly luxury lines are WAY out of budget, and often do not offer the itineraries.

We have a preliminary booking on the HAL new-build for a nice Italy/Greece itinerary.

A 'new' ship really appeals to me.

The Regal is no longer really new... But I am very excited to finally sail on her soon!

From everything I have been looking at, it seems to me that HAL just is not Princess. (of course)

Not in decor, dining, (except the highest-end speciality like Tamarind), drinks, vibe, etc...

Even little things, like the limited and unimaginative drink menus for coffees, alcoholic specialties, etc.

SO many drinks and martinis I would like to try on the Regal - too little time.

How would you advise me on the differences we might see when sailing HAL on their new-build.

Okay, guilty of side-tracking this thread...

Back to the original topic. Gala/Formal Night events.

You know, it seems that the numbers of cruisers who appreciate having that 'FORMAL' night are fewer in number.

But, I also see that, for many, this IS actually something that they do appreciate about cruising.

I am thinking that instead of watering-down and diluting the whole idea, which really IMHO does not serve either group well. (As the ongoing debates would indicate). Maybe the cruise lines should think outside of the box, and instead of having a ship-wide, but non mandatory Formal Night, they come up with separate venues/events focused on a truly (semi)formal evening for those who would appreciate this. I could see many options for this, if one wanted to get creative and think outside of the box.