Why can't we have the Comedy Show....

TravelLots

So, when I was on the Sunshine, to watch a Comedy Show, you had to wait in a line for 30-45 minutes to sit in the back. And half the time you couldn't even see the comedian! Now I hear that during my planned summer cruise on the Magic, it's going to be the same thing. Why can't we just have the Comedy Show in the multiple-level, Theater/Auditorium??? That's such an easy fix. :rolleyes:

So, when I was on the Sunshine, to watch a Comedy Show, you had to wait in a line for 30-45 minutes to sit in the back. And half the time you couldn't even see the comedian! Now I hear that during my planned summer cruise on the Magic, it's going to be the same thing. Why can't we just have the Comedy Show in the multiple-level, Theater/Auditorium??? That's such an easy fix. :rolleyes:

I saw both comedians on Magic and never waited in a line nor did I get there 45 minutes early. Our cruise was full too. There really isnt a place in Magic's comedy room that you cant see the comedian. Of course finding a seat is no problem for me though as Im in a wheelchair lol.

22256813_10210341320505019_9190102307174496060_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeFjS_Z1QCd4qNrBIRmnC5e3Xega0C8oYdKjiyRik3uH8x2SQu2geVRXwmqlM_HbrvqZJS9ns51K8jfEPaMIRAx7H-xbJIjE9b3xIDuhFyKlMQ&oh=271abdebcd923aab520fe456f2fa7f65&oe=5B5EEC2B

When we were on the Magic over a year ago, we had got there around 15-20 minute before the show and waited in line for a few minutes. They would send everyone out of the club after the previous show, and then we got in. I haven't been on the Sunshine, but the comedy club on the Magic was pretty big. We were maybe halfway back in the line and we still sat in the middle of the club. Again, I can't compare it to the other ship, but yes, we had to wait while they cleared it out and no, we didn't have the last seats in the back.

They have decided that the comedy show should be in an intimate setting. As a result very often the venue is filled well before the show and many paying customers cannot get in.

Always thought it should be in the main showroom so they can satisfy their customers but they will not

I've mostly attended only PG shows and I don't know if the R rated shows are more popular, but the Sunshine was the only ship where we had to wait outside a long time just to get a seat. We would arrive at the last minute on the Freedom and had no problem getting a seat. I don't remember any problems on the Magic either. There are things we loved about the Sunshine, but several of the public spaces were not big enough for the number of people onboard.

Most of the comedians I've seen would have a hard time carrying a room as large as the theater, they didn't have the presence. Not to mention that the theater would only be half full, which would negatively impact the performance. Every time we've been to the comedy show there was something going on in the theater so you have the scheduling conflict aspect too. On our last two cruises they spaced the comedy out with 45 minutes to an hour between shows so the room emptied by itself without having to chase everyone out.

The Comedy Club on the Sunshine is shaped differently than the rest of the ships, causing it to have seating where you have to watch a monitor instead of the comedian. I hated it. I have not had the same experience on the other ships I've sailed (disclaimer: I have not sailed on the Magic).

It’s pretty crowded on the sunshine. Room is odd shape and setup. On the other hand, there are monitors and most comedians on the ships don’t need to be seen to get the jokes across.

They have decided that the comedy show should be in an intimate setting. As a result very often the venue is filled well before the show and many paying customers cannot get in.

Always thought it should be in the main showroom so they can satisfy their customers but they will not

I thought we are all paying customers!!!

Wow....sounds like things have changed on the Sunshines, guess we'll see next month. Been on Sunshine 3 prior times and numerous comedy shows while sailing on her....never waited 30-45 minutes in line....been more like 15-20.....Oh and get this...a couple of times, we actually sat to the side of the stage...sort of saw the comedian....but mostly on TV monitor...but could actually hear them....oddly..we still laughed quite a bit...

Having just been on Magic and Fascination I can say that I prefer the comedy club on Sunshine. I agree that it NEEDS to be in an intimate environment; so many of the shows involve a comedian interacting with the first few rows, or even turning up the house lights at time. Magic and Fascination we much more removed, if you were sitting near the back and just lacked something.

Also, We have never waited more than about 10 minutes, even on Sunshine for comedy. One night, we walked by about 10 minutes before and the line was back to the piano bar, so we just walked on and did something else - no biggie. If a show is important, we will make sure to be there in advance, just as we would with a comedy club on land - I don't expect to just show up and walk in on land, so I don't here either.

I guess I do understand about the more intimate seating. But I also think some of this problem is from ship design. The older designed ships - such as the fantasy class (even the conquest class) seem to have both more room for the audience and less wait time. The newer designed ships just don't seem to have the seats to fill the demand. In those cases, I feel they should use the auditorium or add more shows. It's not like you pay LESS per sailing for the NEWER ships.

I made a thread about this a few months ago and it got pretty big. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2596631

The Punchliner is my favorite entertainment on the boat. The crowding is crazy. I've sucked it up and entered 30 minutes early to get a good seat. I can't stand when they kick you out and make you come back in when you saw the previous show.

My next cruise will be my first time on a Fantasy class. From what I hear, the club is the same size, and there are far fewer guests on the cruise. Those sound like good odds.

To those who commented regarded the more intimate setting for a comic to work making a better show, I would agree.

I also believe it is easier to control the age of the crowd (restricted in the later shows) than it would be if the adult type comedy shows were in the main room. The lounges generally only have two doors to the room while the main rooms have at least 6 and you can hear the show outside the larger room.

We were on the Sunshine and had the same issue of waiting nearly 45 minutes or longer only to be all the way in the back, or on the side and watch from a monitor while standing up. I wonder why Carnival doesn't give the comedians a larger venue. They used to perform in the theatre, on RCCL they still perform in the main theatre and it usually fills up. I think a larger venue is definitely needed.

the sunshine, Vista and Horizon do not hold as many as the other class ships. The seating on these three are terrible.

(but i know i am happy that most times they empty the lounge between shows giving everyone a chance to get in

I made a thread about this a few months ago and it got pretty big. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2596631

The Punchliner is my favorite entertainment on the boat. The crowding is crazy. I've sucked it up and entered 30 minutes early to get a good seat. I can't stand when they kick you out and make you come back in when you saw the previous show.

My next cruise will be my first time on a Fantasy class. From what I hear, the club is the same size, and there are far fewer guests on the cruise. Those sound like good odds.

Best entertainment by far on a ship is the comedy club especially since production shows have gone away replaced by playlist.

Dream class has very large venue for comedy show and generally easy to get in. Sunshine and Vista class has shrunken venue and apparently many people who do get in have to watch on a monitor. Seems to me if I am ok with monitor why go at all watch on TV.

Fantasy Class Ships are the best in my opinion. No waits no lines good service. Fewer people! Just enough to do.

Actually...Elation is the only ship where I’ve seen people not get into a comedy show. I bet fantasy is worse because they cut that comedy club in half to put in a kids club or something.

Actually...Elation is the only ship where I’ve seen people not get into a comedy show. I bet fantasy is worse because they cut that comedy club in half to put in a kids club or something.

Happened to us on Conquest and Spirit class. Popular comedians will fill up the venue quickly.