Incident on Pacific Dawn

In one article it was said she had a history of mental illness:(. While sad for the family it is perhaps not so much a mystery to them :rolleyes:.

Perhaps not, still I think that will be little consolation to the kids not having their mother. So ad for them, my heart goes out to those kids, especially if they witnessed it as well.

Perhaps not, still I think that will be little consolation to the kids not having their mother. So ad for them, my heart goes out to those kids, especially if they witnessed it as well.

Apparently, according to the news, the kids were not there thankfully.

Very sad. My heart also goes out to anyone who may have witnessed it. Any person who might have witnessed it, especially children could be traumatised for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And now the facts, she jumped off the ship. She cost the Government and the cruise line hundreds of thousands of dollars. People lives were placed in danger during the search, and the passengers had their cruise affected. All because the passenger jump off the ship. I think the bill for this should be sent to the estate of the woman. The only good thing here is no one else was hurt or killed in the search.

Wow - nasty. I truly hope that you and your family are never affected by mental health issues or suicide if thats your attitude.

Police have very high praise for the way P&O conducted themselves during this tragedy, including immediately securing the woman's room and controlling who went in and what was removed, and their cooperation with police. Police used the word "exemplary". I just thought that should be noted.

They also said the CCTV footage gives an unobstructed view of what happened.

Huge sympathy to her family, they have a long road ahead of them.

Wow - nasty. I truly hope that you and your family are never affected by mental health issues or suicide if thats your attitude.

Sorry If you do not like hearing the truth and the facts. I live in the real World people die, that is real, they die for many reasons. At this point we do not know all the facts. If she may have had mental issues and if the family knew and did nothing or little it it is on the family. I stand by my post, only wish she had saved everyone evolved money time and effort and did her actions before getting to the ship.... Not nasty just real world truth.....

New reports have the following quote:

is questioning why a backyard swimming pool requires a 1.2 metres-high fence, .

That is a whole different thing, swimming pool fences are to stop small kids who don't know any better from drowning,. My 10 year old could climb my pool fence if she wanted to, but she can reach the gate latch which is 10cm higher than legal height.

A cruise ship deck rail could be compared to a raise patio deck at home. Stops people falling off the edge, but if they want to climb it or throw themselves over - then they will.

Police have made a public announcement on TV! A deliberate action on the part of the missing person is how they put it

Thanks for the update.

This information was not official 5 hours before you posted!

Cheers

New reports have the following quote:

But how a passenger is able to be in that position, is a question that baffles international cruise experts.

Mark Brimble, whose ex-partner Dianne died on a cruise more than 15 years ago, is questioning why a backyard swimming pool requires a 1.2 metres-high fence, yet on a cruise ship in Australia there is no law specifying how high guard rails must be.

"The cruise industry is still not doing what it can do for the protection and safety of its passengers," Mr Brimble said.

It would be ridiculous to put high walls on all the outer decks of cruiseships to prevent people committing suicide. If they are determined to do it, they will find a way.

For people not familiar with the tragic death of Dianne Brimble, I mention that it did not involve falling overboard from a cruise ship. I am puzzled why Mark Brimble got onto the bandwagon once again when the death of his ex-wife was totally different. Dianne Brimble willingly went with a group of much younger men to their four-berth cabin around 1.30am on their first night at sea. She had told several friends she went on the cruise to have a good time. Evidence at the Coronial Inquest indicated that she willingly took drugs offered by the men and that she engaged in sexual activity with multiple partners. These men treated her badly. Tragically Dianne died around 6am. Doctors on board believed she died from a heart attack and although a NSW police officer flew to Noumea and boarded the ship, he did not investigate adequately. He then went on stress leave for two years slowing down the investigation. Subsequently, P&O suffered a tremendous amount of bad publicity and strengthened their security measures. It was reported that P&O paid the Brimble family $2 million in an ex gratia payment.

He is no expert, he is just the ex-husband of someone who died of a drug overdose. That does not make you an expert and he has absolutely no authority, level of expertise, degree, doctorate, qualification to make any statements based on the safety of cruise ships just because his ex wife got mixed in with the wrong crowd and died from a drug overdose.

Typical media making things up as they go along and pulling the so called "expert" label from a hole that the sun doesn't shine.

Police have very high praise for the way P&O conducted themselves during this tragedy, including immediately securing the woman's room and controlling who went in and what was removed, and their cooperation with police. Police used the word "exemplary". I just thought that should be noted.

They also said the CCTV footage gives an unobstructed view of what happened.

Huge sympathy to her family, they have a long road ahead of them.

Thanks for the information, it is good to know that they had proper procedures in place. I don't think the kids will ever get over it but it will hurt less with time.

Sorry, I meant to say that police will board here as soon as she arrives (I incorrectly stated that they had boarded her). I agree that no one could trip and fall off. The news item says she "launched" herself off... I'm trying to imagine how one would do that?

One way could be by using your arms to launch you up and over, like with a pole vault.

Sadly, there is every possibility this poor family will be in a gold fish bowl, depending how the press feel.

This is a tragedy on all levels for the family, passengers and crew members alike.

Yep, we can all analyse the "how's, why's and wherefores and what if's"

won't change a thing.

The immediate family are the one's who will be under the press microscope, let's all spare a thought eh?

Edited by dizzy1948

Today it’s the first anniversary of the death of my sister’s husband by suicide. It was completely unexpected - like a bolt from the blue. He had had issues with depression, had bipolar tendencies (undiagnosed) and had attempted suicide after his mother died many years prior, but everything was going well for them. They had three beautiful children and big plans for the future.

In the last twelve months we have minutely examined every word, every action trying to understand why he would choose to die when there was so much to live for. In the end it comes down to one key factor (which was highlighted by the coroner in their report) - if he had not been drinking alcohol that day he would still be alive. He rarely drunk but when he did it had a profound affect on him.

Alcohol is widely recognized as supressing inhibitions, but it is also a depressive. On a person with underlying issues such as despression, even a moderate amount of alcohol can cause them to become suicidal and remove the natural inhibitions against completing the act.

This is why I find callous statements like those above to be so ignorant and lacking in any insight or empathy. All I can do is echo the poster who said that they hope this person’s family is never affected by the tragedy of mental health issues and suicide.

My heart goes out to this family. The pain that they are going through can not be quantified. They will have so many questions and so few answers and they will blame themselves and constantly question what they could have done differently. I hope they get good support and counseling.

An interesting perspective from this blog regarding the incident on Pacific Dawn.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2018/04/articles/disappearances-1/overboard-passenger-from-pacific-dawn-raises-questions-regarding-po-cruises-credibility/

He speculates that indeed many people do 'fall' off ships. He also asks why witness stories of the incident were discounted ie, that she was vomiting. One could even suggest that if you felt sick you would quickly go toward the balcony. I am hoping that the CCTV footage of this is overwhelming in it's evidence that this was a deliberate act otherwise it is incredibly hard for the family to accept this.

Looking at the water shown where the life ring was thrown in doesn't look very rough to me (considering cruises I have been on and water I've sailed on). Also the deck they show in the photo, which is apparently where she fell/jumped from is not the top deck as was reported. The top deck does not have a deck above as shown here. The deck shown is the lifeboat deck.

Also to the commenter above who suggested some here were being insensitive etc - I don't think anyone here has been anything other than caring and sad regarding this. I too lost a family member to suicide last year which was completely out of the blue. I would even suggest that most people have some level of mental illness in their families and we are all aware of the risks and sadness this brings.

An interesting perspective from this blog regarding the incident on Pacific Dawn.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2018/04/articles/disappearances-1/overboard-passenger-from-pacific-dawn-raises-questions-regarding-po-cruises-credibility/

He speculates that indeed many people do 'fall' off ships. He also asks why witness stories of the incident were discounted ie, that she was vomiting. One could even suggest that if you felt sick you would quickly go toward the balcony. I am hoping that the CCTV footage of this is overwhelming in it's evidence that this was a deliberate act otherwise it is incredibly hard for the family to accept this.

Looking at the water shown where the life ring was thrown in doesn't look very rough to me (considering cruises I have been on and water I've sailed on). Also the deck they show in the photo, which is apparently where she fell/jumped from is not the top deck as was reported. The top deck does not have a deck above as shown here. The deck shown is the lifeboat deck.

Also to the commenter above who suggested some here were being insensitive etc - I don't think anyone here has been anything other than caring and sad regarding this. I too lost a family member to suicide last year which was completely out of the blue. I would even suggest that most people have some level of mental illness in their families and we are all aware of the risks and sadness this brings.

What a fool that blogger is now that the truth has been released. He must be kicking himself. It is a suicide, police, P&O and officials have all confirmed it was a suicide.

She took a running leap off the ship. Suicide is what it was.

Update yourself with the news.

I'm pretty sure that cruise law guy is the Alex Jones of the cruise world. Everything is a conspiracy. None of the people in the papers were eye witnesses to the event, and instead were repeating what they "heard", from deck 6 to deck 16, from bingo to table tennis, confusion often reigns in the early chaos of an event - and I speak to that as an emergency dispatcher.

There is nothing to suggest that posting a photo of a deck equals that being the deck she fell from. He provides zero evidence for anything he says.

I'm only interested in real evidence and fact, and the police clearly state the footage gives an unobstructed view of what happened, and that this was an intentional act on the part of the woman. It will now be forwarded to the coroner, and it's safe to say this is an open and shut case.

Your referenced article is from a renowned ambulance chasing, anti-cruiseline 'lawyer' whose mutterings are tainted with his efforts to make money, either from legal fees or 'earnings' from blog postings.

The whole event is clearly sad for the family, who I have sympathy for but I don't understand the early reports that the husband said she was being sick over the side and was knocked overboard by a big wave, which is now seemingly total BS. Why the false story??

Again a 'news story' of someone "FALLING" from a cruise-ship proves to be untrue. I frankly, as a cruise tragic, am fed up with this type of BS.

Your referenced article is from a renowned ambulance chasing, anti-cruiseline 'lawyer' whose mutterings are tainted with his efforts to make money, either from legal fees or 'earnings' from blog postings.

The whole event is clearly sad for the family, who I have sympathy for but I don't understand the early reports that the husband said she was being sick over the side and was knocked overboard by a big wave, which is now seemingly total BS. Why the false story??

Again a 'news story' of someone "FALLING" from a cruise-ship proves to be untrue. I frankly, as a cruise tragic, am fed up with this type of BS.

I don't believe it was the husband who said that, but rather other people on the ship repeating what they "heard". It ranged from Deck 6 to Deck 16, from bingo to table tennis ..and none of those people were actually witnesses to the event.

I don't know why this happens. As an emergency dispatcher, I can have ten people call in an event and get ten different versions of what is happening. Only one version turns out to be the correct one.

I don't believe it was the husband who said that, but rather other people on the ship repeating what they "heard". It ranged from Deck 6 to Deck 16, from bingo to table tennis ..and none of those people were actually witnesses to the event.

I don't know why this happens. As an emergency dispatcher, I can have ten people call in an event and get ten different versions of what is happening. Only one version turns out to be the correct one.

OK, so it was not the husband's version then - my mistake.

I have to agree with you that it is a strange human trait that sees people see different things happen differently, and even that they can report on things they didn't even see with absolute authority. A cruise-ship is certainly a great venue for 'Chinese whispers'.

My heart goes out to the people who have lost loved ones to suicide. It must be very difficult for the family to deal with.

Some of the early reports were obviously wrong. It soon became established that the women went overboard from deck 15 but the photo is of the deck 7 promenade. The original reports of a "freak wave" were astounding. If the sea was so rough that a wave could possibly even spray onto deck 7, that deck is locked off. I can't see how anyone who has been on a cruiseship could conceive of a freak wave washing someone off deck 15.

The report of a women sick at bingo may have referred to another person. When word went around the ship that a woman had gone overboard, people would have speculated as to who it was and the circumstances. Now that it has been established that the women went overboard from deck 15, it is not reasonable to suggest that she ran up (or got in a lift) from the Vista Lounge on deck 7 to be sick on deck 15.

P&O have stated that they have clear CCTV vision of the incident and that this has been given to Police. It will be passed on to the Coroner. I don't think P&O would go out on a limb stating that they have video showing the woman intentionally jumping overboard, if this was not the case. Beside being very poor PR if it was later established to be an untrue statement, it would get them into legal trouble for intentionally misleading the police.

From the statements, it is highly likely the woman jumped. I cannot imagine how her family is feeling. As a previous poster commented, they would be examining everything that had been said and done, trying to work out if they could have prevented her from taking this drastic action.

Thanks for the clarification regarding that blogger. Yes, he was aware in his blog that the reports said she jumped - his question was more about how low the rails are. To be fair if suicide is what you wanted to do on a ship nothing would stop you. I'm just glad it was captured clearly on CCTV so there can be no speculation.

The original reports of a "freak wave" were astounding. If the sea was so rough that a wave could possibly even spray onto deck 7, that deck is locked off. I can't see how anyone who has been on a cruiseship could conceive of a freak wave washing someone off deck 15.

I have seen a video of a wave going over the top of the Dome on Regal Princess before she became Pacific Dawn, but all decks were closed at that stage....there is no Deck 15 on Pacific Dawn the highest deck is Deck 14....