“Group exists for this sailing”

Josie2

I am pricing a cruise for Europe for summer 2019. On the web site for the on line travel agency located in New Hampshire it indicates “group exists for this sailing”. Does anyone know what this means? A charter, or perhaps just an internal pricing alert? TIA.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most likely the his TA Has reserved a block of rooms for this cruise. You would be one of many who are booked into one of these rooms. It might give you a lower rate then you could book if you were doing so as an individual. It might also give you extra perks.

Normally Celebrity does not allow travel agent to discount rooms; however when they book a block of rooms like this for a group then they can offer a discounted rate.

That’s good to know, since a TA with that agency was very careful to point out the potential fees to me when I explored the possibility of booking with them. We’re not retired, and have aging parents, so changes or cancellations are possible. We typically book another cruise in place of one we must cancel. I wouldn’t want to pay a change fee for changing or upgrading a cabin either.

Agree. And their change fees.

I’ve done 16 cruises with them and have never paid a change fee. As far as group rates check Celebrity’s rate then call that travel agency. Even if they don’t have a cheaper rate, I would expect you would get 12-15% of the cruise price in perks. The minimum cost, if you would have to cancel is worth the risk. If you have cancellation insurance, you would be able to recover it.

Also be sure you have a complete understanding of how cabin assignments are handled. Different group bookings have different processes for assigning (and, possible reassignment of) cabins and cabin locations.

Conversely you may be able to score a great cabin that may not be available through another travel agent.

We occasionally book a group cruise on Celebrity.

The group is set up by a travel agency with an agreement by the cruiseline to offer special pricing and special perks to the guests in this group. Not all passengers on the ship and not all passengers booked with that specific travel agency will be included in this group ... as a matter of fact, the group bookings I've done with Celebrity have been limited to about 100 passengers. This is not to say that there aren't larger groups, but that's been my experience in the past.

The ones we've done were through a large big box store's travel agency. They are oftentimes referred to as Buyer's Choice or Signature sailings.

We've received special pricing and limited cabin categories are offered when booking into this group. Usually, they've been concierge and or aqua class cabins but also had one in a 2B category. You cannot be in the group if you choose a different cabin category ... at least in my experience. The offers are oftentimes not combine-able with other offers from the cruiseline itself. There was one on which I couldn't even use my future cruise deposit ... but then on another one, it was allowed.

We've also had special wine pairing luncheons, wine tasting events, tours, receptions, etc. set up within our group and even received little goodies from the gift shop as part of our amenities.

We've loved each and every one of these sailings and overall, they were quite the bargain. We always look to see which ones are being offered through that particular agency.

We have booked 30 cruises with this on-line New England agency starting in 1999. The majority of the bookings were under their fantastic group rates. If a group rate exists, it's obvious when you compare their rate for example a C3 cabin with Celebrity's on line rate for a C3. Once they introduced their cancellation fees, we never paid one since we always rebooked at the same time of the cancellation.

Having said all this, I never noticed “Group exists for this sailing” on their site. So I wonder if this does indicate their is a specific large group on a particular sailing. So, once I send this post, I am going into their site and check our two upcoming reservations.

We have booked 30 cruises with this on-line New England agency starting in 1999. The majority of the bookings were under their fantastic group rates. If a group rate exists, it's obvious when you compare their rate for example a C3 cabin with Celebrity's on line rate for a C3. Once they introduced their cancellation fees, we never paid one since we always rebooked at the same time of the cancellation.

Having said all this, I never noticed “Group exists for this sailing” on their site. So I wonder if this does indicate their is a specific large group on a particular sailing. So, once I send this post, I am going into their site and check our two upcoming reservations.

Let me know what you think. I think it means they have " agency group pricing" for the cruise. I don't think they have group pricing on all their cruises, just some.

Just used that New Hampshire agency this week and noticed the exact same wording on their website for the sailing I was about to book. Asked agency rep this exact question and was told that it refers to their group of rooms offered at a special price.

In fact, the agency price for a 2C (sweet 16) 12 day Summit sailing was $350 less per person than the X website. Good deal + extra OBC.

Be sure you are aware of the agency's cancellation fees, if you are thinking of booking with them.

Hey girl. Long time no see. I'm sure you are thinking "what" agency is advertising a group being up in the White Mountain's area. Hope all is well. We just returned from a 10 night Caribbean on the Reflection. Very nice and very relaxing.

Take care.