Death of MDR, rise of Windjammer

Good point but as a lot of CC members are singing WJ praise it might be worth a look.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Graham...I would never have thought I would do a buffet for dinner on a cruise ship either. But after too many times waiting in a long line for our reserved MTD dining time in the MDR, the noise, too crowded, slow and lackluster food.... we started exploring options. Really not a big dinner fan anyway, we love going out to lunch...but not much for dinner. Light eaters at night.

Many ships have indeed become quite creative in the WJ with so many more selections. It's fun to try different things too. Servers in the WJ seem to go out of their way to make you feel invited. Love the theme nights. We always find a quiet corner to enjoy some lite bites, carrying our glasses of wine in with us. Much more relaxing, no waiting for a table, dine when we want on our time, and eat only what we want.

Edited by island lady

Graham...I would never have thought I would do a buffet for dinner on a cruise ship either. But after too many times waiting in a long line for our reserved MTD dining time, the noise, too crowded, slow and lackluster food.... we started exploring options. Really not a big dinner fan anyway, we love going out to lunch...but not much for dinner. Light eaters at night.

Many ships have indeed become quite creative in the WJ with so many more selections. It's fun to try different things too. Servers in the WJ seem to go out of their way to make you feel invited. Love the theme nights.

One night about 6 years ago when Paulines mam was with us and was poorly Pauline stopped in the cabin with her so i went into the WJ for a quick bite and was pleasantly surprised.

We always eat around 8.45 pm in MTD and rarely wait more than 10 minutes and because we get a table for 2 and miss deserts and coffee we are usually finished within an hour.

Pauline not a fan of buffets but I'll try and pursuade her to try WJ next month on Independence.

Graham...I would never have thought I would do a buffet for dinner on a cruise ship either. But after too many times waiting in a long line for our reserved MTD dining time in the MDR, the noise, too crowded, slow and lackluster food.... we started exploring options. Really not a big dinner fan anyway, we love going out to lunch...but not much for dinner. Light eaters at night.

Many ships have indeed become quite creative in the WJ with so many more selections. It's fun to try different things too. Servers in the WJ seem to go out of their way to make you feel invited. Love the theme nights. We always find a quiet corner to enjoy some lite bites, carrying our glasses of wine in with us. Much more relaxing, no waiting for a table, dine when we want on our time, and eat only what we want.

Just read your post to Pauline and she said lets try it.

Servers in the WJ seem to go out of their way to make you feel invited. Love the theme nights. We always find a quiet corner to enjoy some lite bites, carrying our glasses of wine in with us.

Don't mean to be redundant and not trying to increase the WJ dinner crowd but definitely on the same page again on these specific points. We've found some of the nicest crew members from any area of the ship in the WJ at night. We also tend to find an area that becomes "our spot" for the week (usually quiet with a view). In Alaska I'm thinking the view will take precedence. Looking forward to checking out the outside seating area on Radiance for the first time.

Not sure I'd equate food quality to the staff choosing to eat there. They are employees, they have work to do. Buffets are quick, in and out. I wouldn't think too much beyond that.

They apparently chose the Windjammer over the officers or crew mess. And plenty of times they sit around in there eating and talking longer than I do. They are hardly in and out.

One night about 6 years ago when Paulines mam was with us and was poorly Pauline stopped in the cabin with her so i went into the WJ for a quick bite and was pleasantly surprised.

We always eat around 8.45 pm in MTD and rarely wait more than 10 minutes and because we get a table for 2 and miss deserts and coffee we are usually finished within an hour.

Pauline not a fan of buffets but I'll try and pursuade her to try WJ next month on Independence.

We also do a "two top" table in the MDR and don't eat desserts (too full). Always makes our waiter feel bad, as if he/she did something wrong when we don't stay for dessert. Also if the meal I order is not something I end up liking, the waiter feels bad, and offers to get something else...and then I sit and wait while the DH feels guilty eating without me. WJ..no problem. Try small portion of something different ...go back for more if you really like it or try something else if you don't.

It is indeed nice to have a choice where and when to eat. And we do mix it up with Specialty restaurants, the MDR, and the WJ.

The last time we were on Independence I thought the Windjammer was so good that I can remember on several occasions remarking that I wish I had more of an appetite so I could try more of the food.

Don't mean to be redundant and not trying to increase the WJ dinner crowd but definitely on the same page again on these specific points. We've found some of the nicest crew members from any area of the ship in the WJ at night. We also tend to find an area that becomes "our spot" for the week (usually quiet with a view). In Alaska I'm thinking the view will take precedence. Looking forward to checking out the outside seating area on Radiance for the first time.

Yes, we love that open area back there. Wish more ships had that. :)

The DH loves those coconut ranger cookies. On Radiance Alaska one waitress in the WJ found out about it and always brought him some when we ate dinner in WJ. Also many officers walking around saying hello to pax, and have had some sit with us for interesting conversations. Sooo much more quiet in there too.

They apparently chose the Windjammer over the officers or crew mess. And plenty of times they sit around in there eating and talking longer than I do. They are hardly in and out.

Totally agree with that. It's mostly officers and entertainers we see, and they indeed do linger over a meal. Seem to be relaxing and enjoying themselves.

We also do a "two top" table in the MDR and don't eat desserts (too full). Always makes our waiter feel bad, as if he/she did something wrong when we don't stay for dessert. Also if the meal I order is not something I end up liking, the waiter feels bad, and offers to get something else...and then I sit and wait while the DH feels guilty eating without me. WJ..no problem. Try small portion of something different ...go back for more if you really like it or try something else if you don't.

It is indeed nice to have a choice where and when to eat. And we do mix it up with Specialty restaurants, the MDR, and the WJ.

You have convinced Pauline,she said we will try the WJ.

Totally agree with that. It's mostly officers and entertainers we see, and they indeed do linger over a meal. Seem to be relaxing and enjoying themselves.

We see eye to eye on many things. We need to have dinner together in the Jammer sometime.:cool:

The last time we were on Independence I thought the Windjammer was so good that I can remember on several occasions remarking that I wish I had more of an appetite so I could try more of the food.

LOL!! Indeed I find myself "grazing" taking several very small amounts of interesting looking food or something I have never tried. We do eat with our eyes. ;) ;)

The DH loves those coconut ranger cookies.

Something else I can agree with. At least this time it wasn't redundant. I actually like almost all their cookies and started bringing a ziploc bag specifically so I always have a few available in the cabin. :D

Something else I can agree with. At least this time it wasn't redundant. I actually like almost all their cookies and started bringing a ziploc bag specifically so I always have a few available in the cabin. :D

Yup, Bucky likes to pop in there to grab a couple of them he folds in a napkin and enjoys them later in the cabin also.

One of his favorites.....ranger cookie in the bottom of a bowl with ice cream on top that he gets from the machine in there. :D

I have to say that I'm liking the WJ more and more for dinner. Better choices, the food is better, and it's way faster. The only reason to go to the MDR for me is if I like the people I'm sitting with. If not, it's no contest.

Windjammer was awesome on our last couple of cruises on RCI. We ended up eating every meal there. On Radiance of the Seas in Australia a few years ago, Windjammer had some of the best tasting and varied food we'd ever had on a ship. We went to the MDR one night out of curiosity and there were only 2 people at our assigned table of 12, LOL!

We rarely enjoy dinner in the mdr-It is too noisy, too crowded and too slow. We just want to eat and then go and do all of the fabulous things available during the evening. I am not looking for a two hour dinner. Even the specialty restaurants seem to move at a quicker pace than the mdr. Many options in the windjammer such as salads make it a healthier choice on days when we over indulge elsewhere.

Your experience mirrors ours. We don't have 2 hour dinners at home and care even less about them on vacation. Plus, those plastic plate covers from the kitchen are reminiscent of the fine dining at the local hospital.