Death of MDR, rise of Windjammer

why thanks. I try. and really as each cruise goes along folks find there way to it.

When I did Harmony in 2016 it's first full cruise after arriving in FT Lauderdale, there was much confusion for MY Dining. I went to the WJ instead. And then I noticed each day it got busier.

On the next to last day I walked by the dining rooms around 6pm and no one in line and the folks taking names looked bored.

To me the dining staff comes off a bit superior and think they offer the best experience, but I can tell you nosy room with waiters running around frantic is not something I admire.

They have several layers of managers all watching everyone and it can be a bit intense too.

I have had WJ employees tell me they would not want to work in the MDR even for more money.

toodles 3 weeks from today I get on the new NCL BLiss yea. Will do the new Symphony is 2020.

Good post.

Hope your forthcoming cruise is fantastic.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

In WJ now for seafood night. Endless shrimp, mussels, crab legs, fried scallops, blackened salmon, corvina, shrimp veggie stir fry, huge crab cakes (swear it is same as Chops), seafood Mac n cheese, shrimp potstickers, scungilli, and more. Haven’t even checked the “regular” stations yet. The dessert section is made to order crepes prepared however you like. Servers circulating w drinks. Cheese plates are huge and almost as much selection as MSC Divina. This place is PACKED

Allure had seafood night but there definitely were no crab legs, crab cakes or scungilli. I'll see what freedom has to offer in a couple of weeks.

I agree. When I’m on vacation I like to be served my dinner. Maybe I’m old fashioned. To me, Buffet is just a fancy name for Cafeteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I don't. I have never really liked being waited on. I much prefer to get up and get my own food. Even when staff comes around in the Windjammer and asks if I want something to drink I decline and go get it myself.

We haven't eaten in MDR for our past 4 cruises. Much prefer Windjammer or specialty dining. Got tired of the two tables being squeezed up against the others and having to make conversation as people around us always seemed to want to chat... seemed a bit rude to have our own conversation that excluded them.

First night in MDR was always a mess, so that is the first meal we began skipping. As the Windjammer food got better and a bit quicker, we could eat and take in the early show if we wanted. Now, it's our preference!

Agree...sadly we used to love eating in the WJ when we first started cruising, but the situation you described is one of the reasons we have been doing the same as you. In addition and even worse..is having to stand in line for up to half hour to get a table in MTD even WITH reservations. :(

Edited by island lady

We prefer the MDR for all three meals.

Well....not ALL three on port days. ;) MDR closed for lunch on ships I have been on.

I do love the Tutti Salad bar on sea days for lunch! We really enjoy the MDR for breakfast and lunch...but not so much any longer for dinner. Seems our luck is just really bad with it lately.

Agree...sadly we used to love eating in the WJ when we first started cruising, but the situation you described is one of the reasons we have been doing the same as you. In addition and even worse..is having to stand in line for up to half hour to get a table in MTD even WITH reservations. :(

Did you mean the MDR?:confused:

Seen too many disgusting things that some passengers do with the handling of food in the WJ. Seems Noro is once again hitting the Anthem. If cruise lines eliminate plastic straws, it only means more handling of glasses and more germs to be spread around.

MARAPRINCE

Guess we're old school, but we like the MDR experience. Sure the food was hit and miss (but more hit than miss as we're not super picky), but we like the end of the day, sitting down relaxed at a restaurant where we have a waiter, etc. It's part of the cruise....dinner and a show each night. We even had My Time on Allure and it worked out really well (but ended up with same waiter, same table from night 3-onwards). This time will be Traditional and look forward to that. I can see us trying the Windjammer if we have a conflict trying to make the show, but will feel like a disappointment.

Seen too many disgusting things that some passengers do with the handling of food in the WJ. Seems Noro is once again hitting the Anthem. If cruise lines eliminate plastic straws, it only means more handling of glasses and more germs to be spread around.

MARAPRINCE

I always have hand sanitize with me, and use it at buffets locally and at restaurants after looking at the menu, cause so many people have handled it. Just makes me feel better. :)

In our opinion, we find the WJ to be more leisurely and relaxed than the MDR. There's a lot less people. It's quieter. The waitstaff isn't continuously scrambling around. There are tablecloths.

I'm curious if you've had dinner in the WJ. If you are basing your opinion on how the WJ is at breakfast or lunch, then you might give it a try for dinner. You might be pleasantly surprised. We were.

I have, but in fairness, only once. As I said, I think those who choose WindJammer and those who choose main dining room have different values for different parts of the "eating experience." I definitely believe millennials no longer value more--for lack of a better word--classy surroundings and conversations with strangers, and I think they are looking for a quicker eating experience. I would guess the number of millennials in the main dining room has dropped significantly.

I've only eaten dinner once in the WJ because we usually do MTD or Speciality but reading all the positive posts on here and knowing officers and show entertainers prefer it we will have to give it another try.

Not sure I'd equate food quality to the staff choosing to eat there. They are employees, they have work to do. Buffets are quick, in and out. I wouldn't think too much beyond that.

What does cat and dog food taste like? My cat never really tells me in detail how she feels about the flavor profile. :confused:

Cat food tastes kinda like tuna. Dog food tastes like an odd combination of Swedish meatball gravy and slim Jim’s

Not sure I'd equate food quality to the staff choosing to eat there. They are employees, they have work to do. Buffets are quick, in and out. I wouldn't think too much beyond that.
Good point but as a lot of CC members are singing WJ praise it might be worth a look.