Death of MDR, rise of Windjammer

Not a big fan of buffet style as to many opportunities to share germs. See people pick bread up and then replace it an select another. Also as someone else posted tongs, spoons, whatever seem to be sticky and not replaced frequently enough.

Not a fan of MDR either as has been posted to few servers as of late thus service is slow, to crowded and noisy. Not just the talking but the clanging and banging of dishes at the service islands is quite annoying for folks with hearing aids. Do not care for the basket of bread on the table, much preferred when someone came around and offered me choices from a big tray/basket. Wonder what they do with the rolls left in the basket,"serve them to other guests?" bet they don't throw them away. No wonder folks get ill on cruises from sharing the germs.

My ideal ship would have multiple specialty dining venues so I could (pay) and eat where I wished and enjoy the food and the service. I know not everyone chooses to pay for dining but I do not have an issue with paying. Sailed with a couple on a Celebrity cruise who ate all of their meals in specialty restaurants on ship and never set foot in dining room or buffet. Works for me.

So odd. Have not gotten kids menu w request in MDR or specialty restaurants. Will ask again at lunch today

There is a kid's menu in CK. DH wanted a hot dog one day for lunch...they had to bring my large child a kid's menu. ;p

We enjoy happy-tisers in the lounges with cocktail hour later than we would do at home, so a lite bite in the WJ just fits.

Going in around 8 pm, we notice so many ship's officers enjoying it in there also. It is also much quieter in the WJ at night.

This is what we do and that was our experience as well... quiet, ship's officers, etc. Although I like to eat so my WJ dinner isn't exactly "light" no matter how many "happy-tisers" I've consumed in the DL. Could be related to my DL alcohol consumption as well. I feel I'm being responsible by not drinking on an empty stomach. :D We ended up becoming very friendly with the Oasis dinnertime WJ greeter, Sophia, after sailing twice in 4 weeks last summer. My wife even keeps in touch with her and we were happy to find out she recently won some sort of employee of the year award.

Anyway, to each his own, but as you posted, the WJ at 8pm is not loud and crazy like it can be during breakfast/lunch. It's quite peaceful and relaxing. Definitely looking forward to seeing what the WJ is like on Radiance in Alaska as the ship and locale are definitely not what I'm used to after 7 cruises on Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class in the Caribbean).

Windjammer was a good choice last week on the Rhapsody.

That's good to hear as we sail on her in just over a week.

I've been thinking the same thing as the main topic of this thread - I see service and options declining in the MDR. I'm not sure if it is purely a cost cutting measure to remove the unpopular items from the menu, or if there is an underlying "if we make the MDR horrible, we can drive people to pay for food" move. I think the latter is a happy side effect for Royal, but in a few years it might be a conscious decision.

I was writing my post before I saw yours. Since I just mentioned I was looking forward to the Radiance WJ in two months, could you share what you liked about it?

Did they have any cook-to-order stations for dinner like pasta or wok where you pick your ingredients and they make it for you fresh? (Like an omelette station). My wife loved those on Freedom a few years ago when the WJ alternated b/t pasta and wok stations each night.

Hi, we liked the 'elegance' of the decor, some WJ's can be cafeteria-ish, there is a nice outdoor seating area at the back of the WJ, the staff seemed very friendly and it was easy to get a table whether for just two of us or some nights up to 8 when friends would impromptuly decide to join.

They had a theme each evening and alsocook to order stations such as pasta, oriental stir fry and crepes, they did also cook me a steak freshly as there were none I liked on the grill.

Hope this helps. email me if you have any more questions, richcoryton at hotmail

We attempted to have one meal in the Windjammer on Oasis this past fall and it was awful. The room was so loud and bustling I could not stand it.

That is very interesting as that is one of the reasons that we gave up on th MDR many cruises ago.

However, I wish there were many more people like you on our cruises so that dinner in the Windjammer would be more like when we first started having dinner there. It is now becoming way too popular.... and too crowded.

Hi, we liked the 'elegance' of the decor, some WJ's can be cafeteria-ish, there is a nice outdoor seating area at the back of the WJ, the staff seemed very friendly and it was easy to get a table whether for just two of us or some nights up to 8 when friends would impromptuly decide to join.

They had a theme each evening and alsocook to order stations such as pasta, oriental stir fry and crepes, they did also cook me a steak freshly as there were none I liked on the grill.

Hope this helps. email me if you have any more questions, richcoryton at hotmail

Much appreciated! It helps my wife a ton as the cook to order stations cater to her pickiness. I can always find something to eat but have enjoyed the cook to order stations in the past as well.

I'm perfectly fine with the WJ during the day for a lunch option. I would be very much against the MDR going away for dinner. I want to be able to slow down and enjoy a leisurely meal. The WJ doesn't have the vibe for me. When I'm there I feel like I want to get in and get out. It is not relaxing. I would seriously rethink RC as a vacation without the MDR.

I'm perfectly fine with the WJ during the day for a lunch option. I would be very much against the MDR going away for dinner. I want to be able to slow down and enjoy a leisurely meal. The WJ doesn't have the vibe for me. When I'm there I feel like I want to get in and get out. It is not relaxing. I would seriously rethink RC as a vacation without the MDR.

Have you actually tried WJ for dinner? In our opinion, it is quite a bit of a different vibe (much slower/quieter/more relaxed) than how it is at lunch.

Looking forward to checking out the WJ on Radiance in Alaska in two months as I've only been on a ship smaller than Voyager once and that was Enchantment for 4 nights. The outdoor WJ seating looks like a nice option, weather permitting.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I don't think Radiance had outdoor seating for the Windjammer. I think that area was part of a couple of specialty dining venues? Like I said, I could be remembering wrong. It's been a while, and things run together.

Anyway, to each his own, but as you posted, the WJ at 8pm is not loud and crazy like it can be during breakfast/lunch. It's quite peaceful and relaxing. Definitely looking forward to seeing what the WJ is like on Radiance in Alaska as the ship and locale are definitely not what I'm used to after 7 cruises on Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class in the Caribbean).

We loved the Radiance WJ in Alaska. My son's favorite. We went to the MDR once on the cruise and it wasn't for us. We also really enjoyed Giovanni's and Samba Grill. Going on the Symphony in July and I think it's unlikely we will step foot in the MDR....

We loved the Radiance WJ in Alaska. My son's favorite. We went to the MDR once on the cruise and it wasn't for us. We also really enjoyed Giovanni's and Samba Grill. Going on the Symphony in July and I think it's unlikely we will step foot in the MDR....

Good to hear. We're huge fans of Giovanni's as well but have only experienced it on Allure and Oasis. Looking forward to the Radiance version via FNDR.

After having way too many bad experiences lately in the MDR (bad/slow service and cold/unappetizing meals) we started just going to the WJ on the smaller ships. We enjoy happy-tisers in the lounges with cocktail hour later than we would do at home, so a lite bite in the WJ just fits.

We can choose just what we want, and as little as we want. Going in around 8 pm, we notice so many ship's officers enjoying it in there also. It is also much quieter in the WJ at night. The MDR has begun to be so much noisier and too much bright lights. Feels more like a cafeteria.

On other nights we do specialty restaurants.

The one exception is CK on Oasis series. Our favorite. :)

Pretty sure they aren't allowed to eat there until final hour.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Having seen how some passengers unhealthly mishandle food while on line at breakfast and lunch, why would you want to repeat the experience at dinner??? Sailed last Nov. when Noro was hitting at a high level and it resulted in staff serving food and beverages in buffet to cut down on spreading germs. I ended up as one of its victims:(:(:(

MDR staff is good at accommodating passengers regarding what they either want or need at dinner. You need to ask. Selections can be skipped, no need to order a main course if you do not wish to do so or more than one appetizers can be ordered and you can get more than one dessert. Also, there is the option of the pay for restaurants.

Buffet is okay for a fast bite during the daytime hours. At night, dinner should be a relaxing and enjoyable experience where the food is served to you. That is what you are paying for.

MARAPRINCE

onboard Navigator now and Windjammer has been the best...ever. Varied nightly dinners, very impressive dessert bars. Last nights cake displays would look familiar to anyone that had been to a real midnight buffet. Many MDR items on dinner buffet. Only negative is they close at 9pm. Food has been excellent in Jammer and room packed each night no matter when you arrive. Chefs and crew happy and interactive.

New MDR menus very limited. Dining room no wait and not more than 60% full. Had 4 different people approach during dinner in Sapphire dining room on one evening to sell me specialty dining; already have specialty dining package and constant interruption pretty annoying and put me off. Lunch in MDR food blah (besides excellent salad bar). No kids menu in MDR (we have asked and were told they don’t have anymore; which I find shocking and probably not correct)

Long and short; wife and I both believe it won’t be long before cruise ships offer buffet only w fare and specialty dining as upcharge, no MDR middle ground. They’ll need to physically expand windjammers and extend hours to make this work but sure seems like MDR being purposely de-emphasized w new menus and constant annoying upsell tactics

I'v'e been saying that very thing ever since the "specialty restaurants" became more common. It's a shame.

If you feel your wait staff is doing a poor job, speak with the Maitre'd. That what he is there for!!!!!

MARAPRINCE

Who said that? Haven’t had poor wait staff but constant upsell in MDR highly annoying and off putting. New menus presented as 3 course dinner and kind of skimpy.

Dinner in WJ has nightly theme and wait staff for beverages. Made to order stir fry and pasta stations. Huge vegetarian section. Lights a little lower and quality/presentation great. Nothing like lunch madness.

Just had lunch in MDR again an hour ago, asked for kids menu and told there is none. Not sure what’s with this ship but have not been able to get a kids menu in any venue all week. Just odd.

Tonight is seafood night in WJ should be good.

Many of the sides in Chops were identical to buffet and desserts not as good. Not worth the cost for Chops anymore.

Buffet is okay for a fast bite during the daytime hours. At night, dinner should be a relaxing and enjoyable experience where the food is served to you. That is what you are paying for.

No, that's what YOU feel YOU are paying for b/c that's YOUR preference. You're 100% entitled to it and I would never judge you or anyone else for doing what makes them happy (as long as it doesn't hurt others).

I am paying to enjoy myself and I enjoy myself more in the WJ than the MDR b/c that's MY preference as well as my wife's. We find the WJ dinners very relaxing and serving ourselves rather than being served doesn't bother us in the least. Furthermore, my wife is picky and winds up ordering a caesar salad and the boring chicken from the standby menu followed by plain ice cream almost every night when forced to eat in the MDR (on family cruises).

I'm baffled why people bother to judge others' preferences. There are cliches like "different strokes" and "to each his own" for a reason. I hope you continue to enjoy the MDR while we contine enjoying WJ.