First time cruisers

Rico71

Hi

I have booked a cruise on oasis of the seas in October. We are leaving from Port Canaveral and visiting Bahamas, St marten and St Thomas. We have two adjoining balcony cabins in the boardwalk. There are four of us, me my wife and two kids aged 13 and 7. I would really appreciate any advice or tips on the ship and the ports we visit.

It all a bit daunting!! !

Thanks

You're going to have a blast. Just look on the ports of call forums here and also read up on your ports on TripAdvisor. That will give you ideas on things to do, places to go, what to see, etc. TripAdvisor is your best friend when traveling. Enjoy your cruise

A guidebook will serve you well to plan your time ashore. Pick one up at your library...let the kids get involved with the planning!

Seriously, I have asked multiple times before (and still do not expect an answer as you never do) but do you write guide books for a living, because you dole that advice to all new cruisers. There is this new-fangled thing now call the "internet" where one can get current information and not have to rely on old guide books that may no longer be accurate.

Seriously, I have asked multiple times before (and still do not expect an answer as you never do) but do you write guide books for a living, because you dole that advice to all new cruisers. There is this new-fangled thing now call the "internet" where one can get current information and not have to rely on old guide books that may no longer be accurate.

I always thought it was odd myself. They may of been useful 30 years ago but in 2018, people use the Internet. I understand there are some people who still like their encyclopedias, guidebooks and paper maps but seriously....

I would suggest going on the Royal Caribbean forum and also looking at the Oasis threads. You can look to the right side of the page on the Royal Caribbean forum page and you will see a list of ships. Click on Oasis and threads specifically about Oasis will come up. Those will be very informative. We have been on Oasis with one of our sons and have Allure booked for next year but my sons are much older than your children so my advice may not be right on target for them but I would suggest them going to the kids' programs and at least trying them out. RCCL has won awards for their kids' programs and they seem to be a lot of fun. Plus there are shows you should book ahead of time in your cruise planner on the RCCL site and maybe check out the zip line, rock wall and flowrider. Good luck, you will have a lot of fun.

It all a bit daunting!! !

Booking your shore excursions through the cruise line will be less daunting and easier than trying to do them yourselves. They will also be more expensive.

I would start by looking at the cruise ship excursions. That will give you some ideas about what's available.

I have booked a cruise on oasis of the seas in October. We are leaving from Port Canaveral and visiting Bahamas, St marten and St Thomas.

We did a similar itinerary on Allure (Oasis' sister ship) in September 2013. Obviously, there are likely to be some changes due to last year's hurricanes.

You didn't mention which port you're stopping at in the Bahamas. Will it be Nassau or Freeport?

What kind of activities generally appeal to your family? My wife and I like snorkeling, so we generally planned our own snorkeling trips. But that won't help you much if none of you want to snorkel.

The Oasis is a huge ship, and there are a number of shows that your entire family might enjoy. I think we attended a different show every night (or afternoon, if we were at sea). In addition, cruise ships are set up to provide activities for kids and teens (providing you with alone time).

If you enjoy taking photos, Nassau and St. Thomas are attractive ports. You can take some nice pictures of them while sailing in and/or out. Freeport and St. Maarten are industrial ports, so they're much less picturesque.

Each of the islands is small, so don't worry if you want to do something on the far side of the island. It's an option.

Personally, I think she is a librarian.

I always thought it was odd myself. They may of been useful 30 years ago but in 2018, people use the Internet. I understand there are some people who still like their encyclopedias, guidebooks and paper maps but seriously....

There’s probably an app for that.

Be sure to get all your shows booked as soon as their open for booking. Book the Aqua show early in the week as it seems to get canceled and rescheduled often. Skip Windjammer for embarkation day lunch and head to Central Park Cafe. Great choice for first cruise, your kids and you will love it.

I have cruises around 30 or so times. My advice is just be yourself and take things as they come. The number of other cruisers can be daunting however so don't delay in reservations or proximity. Nothing is really atypical.

If you and/or your kids are Star Wars fans, there's a shop on Front St, Dutch side of island of St. Maarten owned and operated by the make-up artist for Yoda and Star Wars. Museum with memorabilia and souvenirs for purchase. Easy to get to and inexpensive, plus leaves time for the beach or shopping on St. Maarten.

You will never get an answer from cb. She has her stash of stock responses that she posts over and over and over ad nauseum. Nothing anyone asks of her is ever acknowledged. Go figure! :confused: