What makes it worth and extra $4400.00?

debnjoe1438

I am slowly being convinced to try the Haven. I booked under the no port charges or taxes deal. If I switch now and upgrade to a Haven, do I just pay the difference to what I’ve already paid in full or will I get charged extra for taxes and port charges? If I switch now and don’t wait to see if I get a chance to bid, I get all four “perk” packages, right?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One more question. I see the Spa room on the Haven is the lowest priced room. Wonder why that is? We are not spa people but if it’s the lowest price should I look into an H 9? Why would this be priced lower if it comes with more amenities?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One more question. I see the Spa room on the Haven is the lowest priced room. Wonder why that is? We are not spa people but if it’s the lowest price should I look into an H 9? Why would this be priced lower if it comes with more amenities?

H9 only sleeps 2.

I know this is subjective and probably discussed before. At any rate, I'm looking at a 10 cruise on the Epic in January. The price difference from a balcony to a suite/haven is $4400.00

What does a suite offer to make it worth so much more.......

For us, that $4,400 is equal to 2 more cruises, so I’ll never be convinced that the suite could be “worth it” to us.

No matter what it includes - which is for SOME people, and that’s OK - we’d rather take the two additional cruises!!

We were always inside or balcony cruisers and thought anything more wasn’t worth it. Then we splurged and sailed last month in a Haven spa suite. We will likely never not sail in anything else. In fact, the day after we got home, we booked another cruise for this August, also in the Haven.

Loved the experience, the service, the quiet, the benefits, everything. It’s now “worth it” to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

H9 only sleeps 2.

We are only two so that option makes sense space-wise but it seems that we would be paying for amenities not needed or desired. Seriously doubt we would take advantage of the spa if we got a spa room, but I like the idea of the Haven and it is the lowest priced option. Hmmmm

We are only two so that option makes sense space-wise but it seems that we would be paying for amenities not needed or desired. Seriously doubt we would take advantage of the spa if we got a spa room, but I like the idea of the Haven and it is the lowest priced option. Hmmmm

Nobody in the H9 is "forced" to use the Spa. :D

Since it's included, you might as well check it out.

Some H9s have a support pole, some don't.

There's a thorough H9 review HERE if you want some info/opinion...

(no more fireworks, though)

It's simple supply and demand.

The Haven rooms used to be priced appropriately. Then folks started to demand them more, with a relatively low supply, so the prices increased to ridiculous levels.

You can do better with MSC Yacht Club or even one of the luxury cruise lines.

Occasionally you'll find a good deal, but in general, the Havens are way overpriced for what you get.

We were always inside or balcony cruisers and thought anything more wasn’t worth it. Then we splurged and sailed last month in a Haven spa suite. We will likely never not sail in anything else. In fact, the day after we got home, we booked another cruise for this August, also in the Haven.

Loved the experience, the service, the quiet, the benefits, everything. It’s now “worth it” to us.

We erroneously (not knowing any better) did a NCL suite on the Dawn for our 1st cruise, not Haven as they don't have Haven. We figured, it was our honeymoon, we'd splurge a bit, right? The joke's on us I guess because now we are dedicated suite cruisers, lol. Just can't get ourselves to do it any other way!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

So I called NCL prepared to switch from a balcony to an H9. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The balance due that I would have had to pay to switch (upgrade) was actually, literally, more than I paid for the two of us in our balcony room. Not to mention that when I booked our balcony, I took advantage of a "no port charges and no tax" promotion and she said I'd have to pay those if I switched to the Haven room because that promotion expired on the 30th. I was willing to go 1200-1500 more, but not the cost of the entire cruise, including the promotional service charge for both the specialty dining and the unlimited beverage packages. So I'll just hope I get the lucky email inviting me to bid, and hope that there are some lower priced Haven rooms available, and take my chances on that. Oh well. I wish they'd let us "peons" tour the Haven to see what it is we're missing, I might be more inclined to bite the bullet if I could see in person what it is that I'd get. I have looked at all the videos on line but there's something to be said for being able to see it in person.

So I'll just hope I get the lucky email inviting me to bid, and hope that there are some lower priced Haven rooms available, and take my chances on that.

Good luck with the bidding.

Personally, I'm too particular about stateroom choice (as you can probably tell :D) to bid. I'm even particular about port vs. starboard.

That’s the $4,400 question! Lol For us, we’d rather cruise in an ordinary cabin and be able to go somewhere more exotic, take a longer cruise, or go on more cruises than go for a suite. It’s been interesting hearing the perspectives of those who do value the Haven experience, though. I can see its value niche. I’d love to experience it for a small upsell price but not what NCL is charging.

• 2 weeks later...
I priced up switching to a haven room from a aft balcony, crazy price difference.

Being that I need a handicapped room you cannot do the bidding process because you cannot be guaranteed a handicapped room and you could lose your room as it goes back into the pool. Also all of the handicapped Haven room have tiny balconies, I doubt my chair will fit, compared to a aft mini suite or regular aft balcony.

Could I afford it? that is nobodies business

I think it is funny how people lead off with how many cruises you have taken, how much money you make or spend

what a great deal you got

I like the people who have or done all that , and i will never know

Just my opinion

Have you not sat down to dine and been asked:

Where do you live ?

What do you do for a living ?

Do you have children ?

If the conversations continue you may be asked how much you earn ?

Interesting thread.

I guess a lot depends on your individual perspective. The idea of spending $1000 per day on any mainstream cruise line, Haven, suite or whatever, gives us the willies. And $1000 per night for a hotel room? Nuts.

There is simply, for us, nothing in the world worth that kind of money for a larger space and (if Haven on the new ships, or Luminae on Celebrity) a good, but by no means spectacular, restaurant.

But the cruise lines have it figured out. Dangle that "royalty" and "pampering" carrot and they line up to pay those exorbitant fares right away. Just cannot see it.

And, for full disclosure, have sailed in suites (from Sky Suite on Celebrity to 2 BR suites on NCL and RCCL to Haven) on 7 of the last 10 cruises in the previous 2 1/2 years. But on none of those 7 have we paid more than $400 per day (total for both). For us, that is the absolute limit of our budget for a mainstream cruise line.

Interesting thread.

I guess a lot depends on your individual perspective. The idea of spending $1000 per day on any mainstream cruise line, Haven, suite or whatever, gives us the willies. And $1000 per night for a hotel room? Nuts.

There is simply, for us, nothing in the world worth that kind of money for a larger space and (if Haven on the new ships, or Luminae on Celebrity) a good, but by no means spectacular, restaurant.

But the cruise lines have it figured out. Dangle that "royalty" and "pampering" carrot and they line up to pay those exorbitant fares right away. Just cannot see it.

And, for full disclosure, have sailed in suites (from Sky Suite on Celebrity to 2 BR suites on NCL and RCCL to Haven) on 7 of the last 10 cruises in the previous 2 1/2 years. But on none of those 7 have we paid more than $400 per day (total for both). For us, that is the absolute limit of our budget for a mainstream cruise line.

$6,000 - $7,000 isn't "that" bad for a luxury vacation. Have you seen the prices for all inclusive resorts? Beaches Turks is substantially more expensive and sells out.

For me, the difference in spending $3500 or $6500 is fairly trivial. I just want to make sure I get my money's worth and the Haven was disappointing and just not worth it. But I could spend $7k on a cruise if it truly provides that luxury experience.

It's kind of like paying for international business class on a flight. Spending $3,000 extra to be more comfortable for 18 hours may seem crazy to some. But for a lot of travelers, it's money well spent.

I have spent $1000 per night on a hotel room and it was well worth it. I've also spent $300 per night and felt ripped off.

$6,000 - $7,000 isn't "that" bad for a luxury vacation. Have you seen the prices for all inclusive resorts? Beaches Turks is substantially more expensive and sells out.

For me, the difference in spending $3500 or $6500 is fairly trivial. I just want to make sure I get my money's worth and the Haven was disappointing and just not worth it. But I could spend $7k on a cruise if it truly provides that luxury experience.

It's kind of like paying for international business class on a flight. Spending $3,000 extra to be more comfortable for 18 hours may seem crazy to some. But for a lot of travelers, it's money well spent.

I have spent $1000 per night on a hotel room and it was well worth it. I've also spent $300 per night and felt ripped off.

Like I said, it is all about perspective.

And $6-7000 for a "luxury vacation" equates to a 7 day trip, which would never happen for us. 14 days is rare, 21-30 days more common. And that equates to $20-30k. Just not our style when we can do it for less than half that amount. And spending $1000 a day for a hotel darn sure better be "worth it."

I guess we travel too much (~6 months a year) to spend that kind of dough. And even though we could "afford" it, I would never forgive myself. :o

Like I said, it is all about perspective.

And $6-7000 for a "luxury vacation" equates to a 7 day trip, which would never happen for us. 14 days is rare, 21-30 days more common. And that equates to $20-30k. Just not our style when we can do it for less than half that amount. And spending $1000 a day for a hotel darn sure better be "worth it."

I guess we travel too much (~6 months a year) to spend that kind of dough. And even though we could "afford" it, I would never forgive myself. :o

If I traveled 6 months a year, I would be much more conscious of my spending as well. As it is I feel like I travel too much and it probably all adds up to less than 6 weeks!

If I traveled 6 months a year, I would be much more conscious of my spending as well. As it is I feel like I travel too much and it probably all adds up to less than 6 weeks!

You could not pay me to travel six months a year. Nor six weeks. If you’re not a homebody I’m sure you don’t get it. But for those of us who need the vacation to be really nice with as little hassle as possible or we’d rather just stay home (happily) and would actively rather take one vacation a year rather than many, the Haven seems to make sense. I’ll let you know after my June 29 cruise!

This thread is akin to asking if it is worth it to buy a larger house because you can afford it and it makes you happier than buying a smaller house that gives you more money to spend in other ways. It is really a matter of what makes you happy. If you are happy in an inside, you will be impressed by a suite but you may not gain much additional happiness. It all boils down to priorities. For me, it is not worth it because the experience is truly not that special.

One of these days ....;p

You could not pay me to travel six months a year. Nor six weeks. If you’re not a homebody I’m sure you don’t get it. But for those of us who need the vacation to be really nice with as little hassle as possible or we’d rather just stay home (happily) and would actively rather take one vacation a year rather than many, the Haven seems to make sense. I’ll let you know after my June 29 cruise!

I get it :) I personally thought the Haven was a big disappointment and just want to go home. I guess you'll see if it's your cup of tea, hopefully it is.

Is it worth the upcharge to have DH enjoy the cruise and not complain about everything and be in a grumpy mood the whole time? EVERY PENNY!! For me, that sums it up!

Excellent point!

Truth told, if you shop a little and find a good TA, The Haven makes a lot of sense.

In the past, I've booked a Haven Spa cabin for $4,500. NCL threw in the drink package, a 3 specialty restaurant dining package, a hefty amount of internet minutes, in addition to $300 OBC (Which my TA matched).

All of a sudden the Haven looked like a good deal. Plus, you get the outstanding service from the Concierge, the Butler, the private pool and dining areas.

Put this into perspective.....we stayed in downtown Chicago last year. Booked a nice (but not the best) hotel which ran $400/nite for a room that would be similar to a Haven Cabin. That was $2,800 plus taxes and fees. Meals every day (again, not eating at the best restaurants, but good ones)...$40 for breakfast, $50 for lunch, $110 for dinner....or $200/day for 7 days was $1,400. We saw one play, went to the museums and Adler Planetarium plus Shedd Aquarium. Probably spent another $750 for entertainment.

Not sure how much for Taxis, Uber, drinks outside of meals, etc. All of a sudden, you're in about $6K, with no one taking care of your entertainment with the best seats in the house, dinner reservations, no blue ocean to wake up to every day, etc.

So, I think the Haven is a pretty good deal. May not be for everyone, but I love it.