Drinking water on board the Nieuw Amsterdam?

Grenouille21

Just checking about drinking water available on the NA. Is there a place on board that has water for filling water bottles other than the tap in the nearest sink?

They do have a good bottled water package plan that you can order on board if you don't want their tap water. Or to refill from your own cabin sink.

Regulations prevent refilling your own personal containers from any liquid delivery system ( coffee, ice tea dispensers etc) on the ship due to the possibility of cross-contamination. I suppose you could ask for a pitcher of water that you could refill your own container, but that went back to the dirty dish trays so there was no further contamination risk.

I am trying to think if there is an actual drinking fountain anywhere on the ship and nothing pops out to me right now. Perhaps in the gym? I think they might have cups of water from a larger container there. (Ship cross-contaminations are taken very seriously on HAL and the ship inspections watch out for any possible breaks in the chain.)

I always either bring on my own bottled water in a few jugs from ashore, or order the bottled water package. Individual name brand water (Perrier, San Pelligrino) is expensive for daily use. The bottled water in the package is some other less name brand but very nice - still water.

I know you specifically mentioned 'not tap water from the sink', but this is some of the best and purest water you'll find on a cruise ship.

You'd be amazed at the process the ships use for purifying their potable water, so don't be afraid to take advantage of it. It's free and readily available..

On a captain's talk onboard the Westerdam once, the ship's captain purposefully drank tap water after explaining how clean it was processed.

The Lido deck has multiple water stations, as well as iced tea, you're just not supposed to fill water bottles to avoid spreading germs (and tying up the machine, which operates on a sensor so can be finicky at times). The solution is to fill a glass with water and then pour it into your bottle. If you don't want the weight of a personal water bottle, you can just bring a plastic soda or Gatorade bottle. There are also usually drinking fountains on the promenade deck, for people like me who like to walk multiple miles around it.

At night I bring a few glasses of water from the Lido, and then I ask for ice in evening and let it melt to have cold water in the morning. One advantage of the smaller size of Holland ships is that it's quite easy to get to the Lido for a snack or water/coffee.

I drank the tap water from our bathroom sink on Nieuw Amsterdam a couple months ago and had no problems, at all. And if anyone would have problems, it would be me. :-p
It's all the same water whether it comes from your bathroom sink or a pitcher in the MDR or a machine in the Lido or the ice in your drink or ...

I bring my own plastic bottle with me to the Lido, get some water in a glass and pour that into my own bottle. It is colder than the tap. I do the same with coffee or tea....pour into my own thermal container (from a cup of course) and then don't have to worry about spilling anything going back to my cabin.

The water from your ice bucket after it melts, fill your water bottle. Any bar on board will give you a glass of water. Water is free, I've never paid for water on board, it's all perfectly save to drink.

I suppose it might be a good idea to bring a funnel to help refill water bottles from the tap if the neck of the bottle is a bit small or our hands are a bit shaky.

• Like 1

The water from your ice bucket after it melts, fill your water bottle. Any bar on board will give you a glass of water. Water is free, I've never paid for water on board, it's all perfectly save to drink.

Ice might have been handled when put in the bucket and are ice buckets regularly washed? Filling your bottle from glasses filled from Lido or other drinking fountains seems better.

Ice might have been handled when put in the bucket and are ice buckets regularly washed? Filling your bottle from glasses filled from Lido or other drinking fountains seems better.

I use the entire bucket of melted evening ice every morning when I take my meds. On very long cruises. Never had one bit of trouble from it, either.

That ice water is as safe to drink as it would have been as ice cubes in a glass of something.

Agree, and the bathroom sink works as well (it's a lot closer too). As was already mentioned, whether from the Lido, a drinking fountain or your cabin's bathroom sink; it's all the same water, and it's all great!

I use the entire bucket of melted evening ice every morning when I take my meds. On very long cruises. Never had one bit of trouble from it, either.

That ice water is as safe to drink as it would have been as ice cubes in a glass of something.

That glass holding that something is presumably washed - do ice buckets ever get washed?

do ice buckets ever get washed?

I suppose it's possible, but I highly doubt it. That's presumably why many hotels provide those plastic bag liners for ice buckets as some sort of sanitary barrier between your ice and the actual bucket. Can't recall if they provide those on the ships as well.

Can you wash out your own ice bucket? Yes.
Do you always keep the same bucket, or do they bring in a full one and take away the empty? Or do they take several to the ice machine at once and not pay much attention who gets which back? I'm not a germophobe, so I've never paid attention.

Do you always keep the same bucket, or do they bring in a full one and take away the empty? Or do they take several to the ice machine at once and not pay much attention who gets which back? I'm not a germophobe, so I've never paid attention.

Germs can be our friends.

• Haha 1

p.s. - DH thinks they give you a plastic liner bag but isn't sure. We've been on 20 HAL cruises, and neither of us can remember! ;p

I don't feel so bad then! :)

Edited by KroozNut

The tap water is fine, but better if chilled...I just plop ice in my glass and fill from the faucet.

The buffet area should have a cold water dispenser, too, and you can get ice water at ANY bar or eating venue...no charge!

p.s. - DH thinks they give you a plastic liner bag but isn't sure. We've been on 20 HAL cruises, and neither of us can remember! ;p

I know most hotels/motels give plastic bags to line their plastic ice buckets, but I have never seen them for the stainless steel ice buckets on HAL.

• Like 1

I've not seen plastic bags for the ice buckets on any cruise line.

Last month on Celebrity, all of the ice buckets had been collected prior to cabin access. I assume that the purpose was to clean them for the new round of passengers, but I don't know that for a fact. I've no idea whether or not HAL cleans them between sailings, but I certainly hope so: I suspect that many more germs hands are used to take ice than the provided tongs, another item that is hopefully cleaned at least once a cruise.