Credit Card Hold or Cash?

Hello,

After reading the onboarding rules for methods of payment (for your final charges), I was wondering what option is better....the cash or credit card option.

The statement says that a "hold" will be put on your credit card for as long as 30 days until the release is made after your cruise, so I was wondering if the cash option was better to settle with at onboarding.

My question is...that if you choose the cash option, do they require a "deposit" of cash upon check-in.? (instead of the credit card hold upon check in)

I know they have ATM's on the ship. Does anyone know what the ATM max is per day to withdraw money from it? Also, what is the charge for the ATM?

Thank you in advance :D Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

PS...this would be on The Adventure of the Seas

You do not have to put cash down for a cash account.

On cruises of 6 days or less you can charge up to $300 before being asked to pay down your account. On cruises of 7 days or more you can charge up to $500.

Once you reach that limit you can use cash, credit card or debit card to pay down your account. At the end of the cruise you can pay the final balance by cash, credit card or debit card.

"Holds" aren't applied to credit cards...but they are to DEBIT cards. With credit cards, you may see "pending" charges on your account, but they fall off as soon as the actual charges go thru.

Since a debit card is basically the same as cash, simply bring the cash you'll need to avoid having your checking account held up with "holds". Debit cards offer NO protection fraud, faulty products you purchase, etc....they are not really suitable for travel.

"Holds" aren't applied to credit cards...but they are to DEBIT cards. With credit cards, you may see "pending" charges on your account, but they fall off as soon as the actual charges go thru.

Since a debit card is basically the same as cash, simply bring the cash you'll need to avoid having your checking account held up with "holds". Debit cards offer NO protection fraud, faulty products you purchase, etc....they are not really suitable for travel.

They certainly do apply holds to credit cards. I’ve had holds/ pending charges remain posted foe a week after the charges went through. It depends on your bank.

Normal cruise:

1. Gas station going to Miami = $75 hold

2. Hotel = $50.00 hold

2. Gas station going back = $75.00

3. RCCL = first hold I think is $200.00

The holds on a trip can add up when you don't have much of an "open to buy" on your credit card. For most credit cards, that I deal with, the holds are usually a couple of days, but the cruise lines need to say up to 30 days because different banks have different processes. Plus different companies post the actual charges differently, thus, adding several layers of the game.

Basically, if you can float the holds for a week, without issues, or have the open to buy not to worry than use a credit card. If you are that tight with funds, than pay cash up front.

You do not have to put cash down for a cash account.

On cruises of 6 days or less you can charge up to $300 before being asked to pay down your account. On cruises of 7 days or more you can charge up to $500.

Once you reach that limit you can use cash, credit card or debit card to pay down your account. At the end of the cruise you can pay the final balance by cash, credit card or debit card.

I thought that 3 & 4 night cruises were $200. And I know that 7 nights+ are $500. To me, 5 & 6 nighters are the unknown/gray area.

I thought that 3 & 4 night cruises were $200. And I know that 7 nights+ are $500. To me, 5 & 6 nighters are the unknown/gray area.
We've done both 3 nighters and a 6 nights with cash accounts and it has been $300. We used cash accounts for quite a while with the favourable exchange rate for Canadians purchasing OBC.

There used to be a link on Royals site but since they "enhanced" their site I can no longer find it.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

Holds/pending charges on credit cards should disappear as soon as the vendor processes the charge. If not, complain to your bank.

Holds on debit cards can take some time. Most hotels have a sign at check in about this, as many people have been caught out by this.

Some bank cards allow the charges to be processed as Credit or Debit. Credit is normally fee free, and works like a credit card, except the money is deducted as soon as the charge processes.

The other issue with using a debit card is that there may be a charge on your on-board invoice that you dispute making, but if you don’t pay attention and get it removed, Royal will charge you for it because they have your card on file. Then you have to go through a process to get your money refunded, whereas with a cash account you could just refuse to pay it until they fix your bill, or with a credit card you could dispute it, and wouldn’t be out any money while the dispute process takes place. With a debit card dispute, your money is already gone and you have to wait until you get it back.

This really shouldn’t be an issue as long as you pay attention to your account while on board and fix things that don’t look right immediately. I’ve read a lot of posts from people who got caught up in their vacations though, and never checked their bill until they got home. This is when a debit card can really end up costing you money. I recently read a thread where someone got charged hundreds of dollars and didn’t notice because they weren’t expecting any charges to their account, so they never looked at it, but realized when they got home that Royal charged their card on file. It was a mess and they were missing a couple hundred bucks from their bank account until it was resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For my last two cruises I've been doing a cash account. My ta gives lots of obc. On the last day i balance my acct (usually get money back), and then give a credit card for any thing i might incur after that.

This has worked really well for me. Doing it this way I've not any unjustified costs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Now that I will be traveling solo or with our daughter for my cruises, I am considering going to a cash acct as I won't be charging that much. My last cruise with my husband, this past August, I did have a Credit Card on file but did pay our charges with cash and considering doing the same next March when I cruise with the daughter.

I've read a lot of credit card hold threads over the years, but I've never noticed a hold on my credit card. I have a Royal Caribbean Visa. Does that make a difference?

Yup. Holds are determined by the bank/credit union involved. By the time I get home and check my accounts the holds are always gone for any card I used EXCEPT Costco. That one seems to be 8-10 days even after the actual onboard charge for the cruise posts. Frontier (Barclay) and United (Chase) seem to leave the real charge in "Pending" longer. And neither let me actually pay the bill in that status.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have used my Debit/Credit card on past cruises, and they put a hold on it, which took too much time for my liking to get it back after the cruise, so I think I will use the Cash option.

Have a great day! :D

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have used my Debit/Credit card on past cruises, and they put a hold on it, which took too much time for my liking to get it back after the cruise, so I think I will use the Cash option.

Have a great day! :D

You can opt for a cash account up front. Then, on the last night of the cruise you can pay off the account with a credit or debit card. This way there are no holds put on the card.

• Like 1

Again, if you bank is keeping a credit card pre-authorization on your account, talk to them.

Debit cards do have holds, and they can take a long time to clear. Which is why the signs at almost every hotel front desk

After seeing the lines at the desk on the last day of the cruise, paying by credit card is the way I go.

We typically settle our onboard cash account later in the evening on that last day or early in the morning on disembarkation day and have not had a problem with long or even any line ups to do so.

The downside to me with a cash account is standing in line the last night to pay. Sometimes the line isn't too bad but sometimes it is and I wouldn't want to spend an hour on my last evening standing in line.

I've read a lot of credit card hold threads over the years, but I've never noticed a hold on my credit card. I have a Royal Caribbean Visa. Does that make a difference?

You would only notice it if you carry a balance close to your limits.

Can you pay by travelers check? I hate to hold that much cash on me

I used travellers' checks for years, including on board RC ships. However, I would check to make sure they still accept them. I quit trying to use them when many merchants no longer accepted and my bank stopped issuing. Hard to use any more.

I used travellers' checks for years, including on board RC ships. However, I would check to make sure they still accept them. I quit trying to use them when many merchants no longer accepted and my bank stopped issuing. Hard to use any more.

Thanks!