Le Petit Chef vs Qsine

johhnnyt

Booked on the Antartica cruise from Buenos Aires on Celebrity Eclipse Jan 2019. One of the first things we did was book a table for Qsine only to be told two months later Qsine was no longer available but we could book for Le Petit Chef. Having researched it and after looking at You Tube videos we are very disappointed - a silly cartoon which might be worth seeing once (which we have now done on You Tube!!!), a very limited menu and only two sittings! So we are booked into Murano instead, as well as Tuscan Grille which we have thoroughly enjoyed in the past, hopefully we'll get a window seat.

• 2 months later...

I have never dined in Quisine, so can't compare but on the Silhouette (just got back) we enjoyed La Petite Chef.  The menu is set and limited, but very good.  I would never pay $55 though, and can see that it might get old.  Once you've seen the presentation, though cute, the novelty would be gone.

There were many different table sizes.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 8:06 PM, phoenix_dream said:

The new idea sounds interesting. The new price certainly does not, presuming that is accurate! I guess pretty soon I will not be visiting specialty restaurants anymore - the pricing is getting ridiculous, particularly when you consider that you are already paying for a nice dinner as a part of your regular cruise ship price.

We don't visit specialty restaurants at all, as we find the food in the MDR and buffet to be quite good, without having to spend ridiculous amounts extra. We did eat at Qsine on the Silhouette Sept 2017, at the invitation of the executive chef, so it cost us nothing. We enjoyed it, but would probably not do it again at the price charged. Le Petit Chef, while an interesting concept, is too expensive and has far too limited a menu for us to really consider it. Can courses be mixed and matched from one menu to the other? My husband enjoys filet mignon, but can't eat seafood, so he would not be able to enjoy the bouillabaise. 

I can understand why this might be appealing to people since it provides dinner and a show, however for the life of me I don't understand why I'd want to return to see it again. The projection doesn't change, so for me, seeing it once would be enough. I don't understand the business logic benefit for X that does have a large number of loyal, repeat customers and a predominantly adult sailing population. I would guess that most (perhaps I'm projecting our preferences onto others) would go one time for curiosity and perhaps a new experience, and having seen it once would not feel the need to do it again. Thoughts?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I can understand why this might be appealing to people since it provides dinner and a show, however for the life of me I don't understand why I'd want to return to see it again. The projection doesn't change, so for me, seeing it once would be enough. I don't understand the business logic benefit for X that does have a large number of loyal, repeat customers and a predominantly adult sailing population. I would guess that most (perhaps I'm projecting our preferences onto others) would go one time for curiosity and perhaps a new experience, and having seen it once would not feel the need to do it again. Thoughts?

We saw the Edge version, and will go once on the Eclipse because the show is different.  While the food was great, I don't need to see the same show again.

I think the original plan was to run it a couple times a week, and leave it Qsine the rest of the time.

I wonder what's going to happen once their loyal base has seen it, and few are booking.

Having had unlimited specialty dining while on the Thanksgiving cruise aboard Silhouette, I agreed to dine in Le Petit Chef one evening.  It was quite enjoyable.  I, for one, will NOT miss Qsine.  That restaurant wasted food in gargantuan amounts....

Portion size in LPC is reasonable.  You will not leave hungry.

I suggest the early seating, unless you don't object to still be eating at 9:30 or later.

5 hours ago, LouieT said:

We had such a fun time watching it. And thought the food was spectacular. One of the best steaks I've had and the rest of the meal was delicious. Hats off to the creators!

On the Reflection now:  We also thought it was very entertaining  we thought the meal overall was great, but did not like the steak at all. We have rarely found many things on our many Celebrity cruises that we didn’t like at all, but we didn’t finish our steaks. They were extremely butter knife cuttable, but had a very unusual flavor. (Maybe the lack of texture was too much - we typically like Filet Mignon.) The rest of the meal was delicious - especially the lobster.  It was creative and fun. All specialty restaurants were included with our cabin, so there wasn’t an additional cost - but $55 per person sounds like a lot.

Very happy we tried it. Will we go back again or another cruise?  Maybe, but probably not. 

We love Murano, seriously enjoy Tuscan Grille, Lawn Club, and even the Porch. We typically love Luminae, but didn’t find it super good so far this cruise — far tooooo busy. 

We noticed groups of two, four, five and six the evening we were there. The service was spectacular and well coordinated,  too. 

We did notice people nearby  order from the alternate menu and some ordered two lobster tails.  The restaurant seemed very accommodating to people’s preferences. 

I’m sure I replied way too much to the original question - sorry. 

Edited by CharlieCharlieCharlie
Change word

2 hours ago, CharlieCharlieCharlie said:

On the Reflection now:  We also thought it was very entertaining  we thought the meal overall was great, but did not like the steak at all.

Sorry about your steak.  We were on Reflection at Thanksgiving, and our steak, and everything else, in LPC was excellent.  

On 12/2/2018 at 1:20 PM, kimlovesfl said:

We don't visit specialty restaurants at all, as we find the food in the MDR and buffet to be quite good, without having to spend ridiculous amounts extra. We did eat at Qsine on the Silhouette Sept 2017, at the invitation of the executive chef, so it cost us nothing. We enjoyed it, but would probably not do it again at the price charged. Le Petit Chef, while an interesting concept, is too expensive and has far too limited a menu for us to really consider it. Can courses be mixed and matched from one menu to the other? My husband enjoys filet mignon, but can't eat seafood, so he would not be able to enjoy the bouillabaise. 

My suggestion is to live a little and try it. We thoroughly enjoyed it on the Edge and would do it again but with a different ship.

We did it on the Edge and loved it. I will agree that, once you've done it, you probably won't do it again unless you're with people who haven't done it yet. I love the old Qsine with it's crazy (but delicious) menu.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:01 PM, Olive1950 said:

Having had unlimited specialty dining while on the Thanksgiving cruise aboard Silhouette, I agreed to dine in Le Petit Chef one evening.  It was quite enjoyable.  I, for one, will NOT miss Qsine.  That restaurant wasted food in gargantuan amounts....

Portion size in LPC is reasonable.  You will not leave hungry.

I suggest the early seating, unless you don't object to still be eating at 9:30 or later.

What we enjoyed about Qsine was that you could go numerous times and never order the same things since they had about 20 different items.  Will miss it.

25 minutes ago, blueboro said:

What we enjoyed about Qsine was that you could go numerous times and never order the same things since they had about 20 different items.  Will miss it.

Me, too. The animation aspect of LPC seems totally irrelevant to me--maybe a little cute, maybe good for one dinner. But unlike live theatre, it doesn't change at every performance, and I suspect would become a bit wearing.

4 hours ago, blueboro said:

We too agree.  So much variety in Qsine that we spread over multiple nights.  Nice fun atmosphere too.  No interest in LPC.

We tried Qsine on our last cruise and absolutely loved it! We were looking forward to dining there again in Feb., but unfortunately it is no longer there.  We also have no interest in LPC.  Maybe they'll bring Qsine back some nights along with LPC.  Fingers crossed.

4 minutes ago, avp1234 said:

We tried Qsine on our last cruise and absolutely loved it! We were looking forward to dining there again in Feb., but unfortunately it is no longer there.  We also have no interest in LPC.  Maybe they'll bring Qsine back some nights along with LPC.  Fingers crossed.

Same here, we're on Eclipse next month and were hoping they'd stick with what was supposed to be the plan - Q'sine most nights, LPC a few.  Sadly, it appears to be LPC all the time.  

That said, since most (not all but most) seem to think it's worth doing at most once, maybe Q'sine will come back eventually.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...