Le Petit Chef vs Qsine

johhnnyt

Chicagopaul has just posted a YouTube video of the entire Le Petit Chef performance that he took on his just completed Reflection TA. Its really very entertaining....

Paul did a remarkable job capturing the entire event. Apparently each person gets their own tiny "chef."

Whilst I agree Paul has done a great job I strongly suggest if you plan on visiting Q’sine on Reflection soon DO NOT watch this....it really will spoil the surprises.

We tried Qsine once and while we enjoyed the experience we would be in no hurry to repeat it. It is definitely better with a group than a couple. The new concept sounds interesting, but the price seems rather high, unless we had a large OBC, or discounts were offered.

Well, I had no intention of going to Petit Chef so I watched the video: an excellent job by Chicagopaul. I am going to be a real grumpy old man and declare that it left me "cold" and I thought it all looked pretty tacky. Not at all what I want from a restaurant dinner!! There it is. It is just as well we are not all the same in our tastes because it would be a dull old world?

Well, I had no intention of going to Petit Chef so I watched the video: an excellent job by Chicagopaul. I am going to be a real grumpy old man and declare that it left me "cold" and I thought it all looked pretty tacky. Not at all what I want from a restaurant dinner!! There it is. It is just as well we are not all the same in our tastes because it would be a dull old world?

No, you wouldn’t like it because you had decided you wouldn’t like it....

Many times throughout life a friend, family member or a Cruise Critic member has made a suggestion I try something.....Sometimes I am unsure but usually give it a go anyway! My life, and particularly holiday adventures, have been enriched by listening to others and being willing to try something new!

Le Petit Chef is not trying to be something it isn’t.....it is a very nice five course meal pared with fun and laughter.

I don’t see you as a ‘grumpy old man’ I just think you are missing out on things by jumping too fast! How you can liken watching Paul’s video, good as it is, to sitting with your better half giggling like children is beyond me! I would add we are not Spring chickens either!

I felt the same way Tom. Tried it twice on out TA and enjoyed it both times. The 3d visual mapping of the meal is a unique concept. At first I thought it would be to gimmicky, but really in essence it gives them the ability to change the venue into any type of dining they want, and as others expressed it would keep it fresh.

Would I pay $55 for it, prob not. Generally though you can get a minimum of 25% off specialty dining just for asking, so for $35-40 well worth it, as long as the show is fresh and so is the menu

Yes on the reduced price. We always do tha package or special offers

No, you wouldn’t like it because you had decided you wouldn’t like it....

Many times throughout life a friend, family member or a Cruise Critic member has made a suggestion I try something.....Sometimes I am unsure but usually give it a go anyway! My life, and particularly holiday adventures, have been enriched by listening to others and being willing to try something new!

Le Petit Chef is not trying to be something it isn’t.....it is a very nice five course meal pared with fun and laughter.

I don’t see you as a ‘grumpy old man’ I just think you are missing out on things by jumping too fast! How you can liken watching Paul’s video, good as it is, to sitting with your better half giggling like children is beyond me! I would add we are not Spring chickens either!

Well, there's two dessert courses for starters and we often don't even have one: just not a sweet tooth. Then Bouillabaise is not something we would order in any restaurant. Even lobster is not one of our favourite dishes (which certainly marks us out from most of the cruisers we have shared a table with!). Which doesn't leave a lot, does it! I am sure others will find the menu appealing. It is just as well that we aren't all the same. And trust me, we have tried all these things in the past. Indeed, having worked in a lot of places including Russia, Vietnam, the Caribbean and a fair number of African countries, I have not been short of new experiences (including culinary ones).

And finally (and sorry) but I cannot find anything particularly humorous in the videos. Just not my sense of humour. There it is. Some quirkiness (eg the original Qsine) we like and some not.

I agree with you on the bouillabaisse and the lobster. For the life of me I cannot get over how / why so many people go crazy for lobster. The lobster on the ship, most of the time is just okay. Living all my life in New England I know good lobster, and even good lobster doesn't really do anything for me. I mean I will eat it but I'd rather have an incredible filet mignon and a great chocolate mousse.

Wonderman3, who is currently sailing on the Reflection, just reported that Le Petit Chef has in fact gone up to 55USD per person. He doesn't plan on going, so can't report on how well its doing at this price.

Personally, with its very limited menu, I don't think it warrants a price higher than Murano. I just checked and LPC is still not available for advance booking either separate or in a dining package on our June 8th sailing. Unless it is available as part of a discounted package when we board the ship, we'll probably skip it and spend an extra night at Murano.

Sam

Will probably try it if they have it on the Equinox next year. Why tacky? I thought it was very cute. Judging from the laughter at the table, others felt the same way.

It would seem that those of us who have actually seen it see it as good fun and pretty good food! Those who haven’t don’t like the menu and see it as tacky....

I must say for a fixed menu with two set dining times I do think $55 is over the top, however.

It would seem that those of us who have actually seen it see it as good fun and pretty good food! Those who haven’t don’t like the menu and see it as tacky....

I must say for a fixed menu with two set dining times I do think $55 is over the top, however.

You just never know till you try

We met a couple onboard that had dinner every night in Murano at 830 (same table) and boasted that they rarely tried anything there other than their two favorites items on the menu, and they generally didn't like to leave the ship in port (even in some of the exotic ports in Oceania, SA and Asia). Perfectly mobile, healthy folks.

They hadn't tried any of the other specialty venues in ~5 years, nor even visited luminae during the same period. When I asked, why not, he said "Why bother, we know what we like"

I remember when I was a kid My grandmother would say "The more you get set up walls in your own world, the smaller that world becomes.”

We tried it once on the Transatlantic, although it was offered every night, no regular Qsine offered at all. We were a group of 8, hard to visit because we were in two long rows. The food was good, presentation spectacular. I would prefer a salad rather than two desserts. At $25 for an promo, we felt it was a fair price.

We tried it once on the Transatlantic, although it was offered every night, no regular Qsine offered at all. We were a group of 8, hard to visit because we were in two long rows. The food was good, presentation spectacular. I would prefer a salad rather than two desserts. At $25 for an promo, we felt it was a fair price.

Would you return for full price and the same show/menu? Curious.

Alternatively though if it doesn't appeal, why would you spend the money? Just so that you can defend yourself in a discussion from others... in which case if you did that viewpoint will likely then get criticised for other reasons anyway.

Like many things, it will appeal to some, and not to others. It doesn't mean anyone is 'wrong.'

Like some others here, I see the preset videos as gimmicky, and the food unappealing/unadventurous. For a speciality restaurant I'd prefer better food, and/or better service a la the old 'Olympic' restaurant. However, this is far cheaper for Celebrity to manufacture so it's evident why they go that way. But for those who enjoy it, great.

Have have not been following along with the Edge build, but will there be a Qsine on Edge?

No, there will not be a Qsine on the Edge. One of the new specialty restaurants will be Le Grand Bistro (French Restaurant) that usually charges $25 for dinner and adds $30 for Le Petit Chef 1-2 times/cruise (total $55).

We were on the Constellation for 15 nights on February 24th, and went to Qsine twice. On one night, in addition to the Qsine selections, we were offered all of the main course entrees from Le Petit Chef (LPC) menu, but did not have the visual presentation. Between the four of us, we had the Filet Mignon, the Sea Bass and the Sauteed Chicken. I did not order one of the extra entrees, but tasted them all.

The LPC entrees were "classic", and very well prepared. Not really exciting, in terms of a Specialty Restaurant though, so I'm not sure I would go more than once. For that kind of food, I prefer the ambiance of Murano.

I think the LPC visual presentation is very entertaining, and would certainly enjoy seeing it. However, I would be very sad to lose Qsine as a Specialty Restaurant option. We love the food in Qsine, and find it an excellent choice for 4-6 people. We have even gone to Qsine as a table of two, although it is more fun when you have a couple of others to share the experience with.

I think the extra tariff of $55 USD per person is too high. That is $147 CAD per couple at today's exchange rates. :)

As a passing comment, Tuscan Grille was amazing on the Constellation. The food and the service were outstanding, and we went to TG three times on this past cruise. It was the best Tuscan Grille experience we have ever had. On the other hand, the "A Taste of Film" was a complete fail from the food perspective. It was the single worst food experience I have every had after about 40 Celebrity cruises.

I just spoke with someone at Celebrity and was advised that LPC can't be included in any dining packages, and its "currently not intended" for it to be discounted. So, $55US is the price, at least for now. I will check it out on our June Reflection sailing. At $55 we will certainly pass.

LPC may be the replacement, but they are going to have to make some significant adjustments for it to be financially successful in the longer term. It's a gimmick meal that folks will enjoy once...perhaps twice, but the offering today doesn't have enough variety to attract repeat business. At a minimum they need to have several different "shows" and announce when they will be. As far as discounting....yeah, sure, right....it's a business and if they aren't filling the restaurant, there will be on-board deals like every other specialty restaurant (think sushi on 5 where you can get AYCE on some cruises now, etc).

I just spoke with someone at Celebrity and was advised that LPC can't be included in any dining packages, and its "currently not intended" for it to be discounted. So, $55US is the price, at least for now. I will check it out on our June Reflection sailing. At $55 we will certainly pass.

I don't think the intention for any of the restaurants to be discounted, but they all are depending on how they are selling. Every single day on every single ship, the restaurant operations managers meets with the asst maitre'd of all the venues to try an entice people into trying specialty dining.

Some people are resistant to try new things, other embrace them. I'm always excited to at least see them trying new things. Qsine wasn't selling, so hopefully this might do better, if not they'll try something else. I'll be curious with what they do with Sushi on 5, Bistro at 5 was always empty, Sushi at 5 not much better, so I imagine that will be the next one they tackle.

Is LPC still ' trialling' on Equinox on certain days? I note that it is not possible to book Qsine in advance for our August cruise?

I thought the Equinox doesn't have Qsine, but has the Asian Fusion one in that location. Which might be why you can't book it.

(At least it was that way last summer)

• 1 month later...

We have just returned from an Alaskan cruise onboard Celebrity Infinity, there were 6 of us and we ate in Qsine but had the Le Petite Chef menu, the Qsine is no more :( They could not seat us all together as the tables were only for 2 or 4. We were not shown a menu at any time or offered the alternative menu ( in fact we didn't know there was one ), Sadly I would not recommend this restaurant for the food at all, (the animation was brilliant ) the lobster was chewy, the fillet was not fillet, it was fatty and inedible, the only desert offered was a scoop of vanilla ice cream, no rice pudding Brulee in sight. They were clearly having trouble with the timings. We complained about the poor quality of the food ( we were not the only ones complaining ) We were advised we would not have to pay $55 each for the meal. However this decision was overturned and a debit for the full amount appeared on our account at midnight the last night of the cruise, some 3 days after we had the meal. I feel very sad about writing this post, if you think $55 is worth it for the animation alone then go for it otherwise perhaps wait until the timings have been ironed out. You can get better lobster in the main dining room and fab steaks in the Tuscan Grill.