Help with I'd problem

willtup5

Trust she doesn't have a passport either.

Need proof of citizenship, which is either a passport or a certified birth certificate. If she has neither, I'd be in touch with Princess immediately, although I think she is out of luck.

Is there a family member or trusted neighbor that can go into the home and copy the BC and email or fax a copy? That often works in such a situation.

(And before anyone chimes in about it not being a certified copy; the law only requires a copy...even though everyone prefers a certified copy, a photocopy or clear digital copy is acceptable and has been used many, many times to meet WHTI rules)

My wife went with her nephew and her sisters to a resort in Mexico for a week a couple of years ago. As she was about to leave I jokingly asked if she had her passport. D'Oh! She had left it in the desk drawer. It would not have been a good thing to get to the airport - about 90 minutes from home - only to discover she didn't have proper ID. It's always a good idea to double check and then check yet a third time that you have all necessary documents.

Is there a family member or trusted neighbor that can go into the home and copy the BC and email or fax a copy? That often works in such a situation.

(And before anyone chimes in about it not being a certified copy; the law only requires a copy...even though everyone prefers a certified copy, a photocopy or clear digital copy is acceptable and has been used many, many times to meet WHTI rules)

Even a cell-phone photo would probably be OK.

My family gets upset with me when I ask them twice if they have their passports. Beats that alternative!

I actually appreciate being asked if I have something. I'm always wondering what it is that I've forgotten. On our last cruise I ended up wearing my "everyday belt" rather than the identical belt that is essentially brand new and has only been worn on a previous cruise. Fortunately I wear most of my shirts untucked (tee shirts and' date=' of course, my Tommy Bahama shirts :))

I also failed to notice that my black dress belt was getting ugly. Where the belt goes through the buckle the leather was starting to peel a bit and it looked pretty nasty. I managed to borrow a black marker from one of the shops and colored over the ugly spot. Definitely time for a new belt for formal nights! (They don't sell such things as Sharpie markers onboard as they don't want jerks marking the walls, etc. with the indelible markers. How sad that they would even have to consider that issue.) I think the young lady in the shop got a good chuckle out of the old guy who's wife was coloring his belt while "hiding" behind a big sign she moved specifically for that purpose. (It possibly looked like something other than it actually was. [img']https://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704[/img]) I'd guess she had a laugh about it with other crew later on.

If she has some government issued photo id (drivers license etc.) they may be able to clear her, but no guarantees. They can use her passport number in the cruise personalizer and photo id to confirm it is her, might take longer to clear customs on the way back.

(They don't sell such things as Sharpie markers onboard as they don't want jerks marking the walls, etc. with the indelible markers. How sad that they would even have to consider that issue.) /quote]

Why do you think Disney World doesn't sell chewing gum anywhere on property? And they sell only water soluble markers and crayons on board their ships.

If she has some government issued photo id (drivers license etc.) they may be able to clear her, but no guarantees. They can use her passport number in the cruise personalizer and photo id to confirm it is her, might take longer to clear customs on the way back.

A driver's license proves WHO you are. A birth certificate proves CITIZENSHIP. As does a passport.

Just having a driver's license won't do it.

OP said the travel mate didn't have the birth certificate, no mention of having a passport.

A driver's license proves WHO you are. A birth certificate proves CITIZENSHIP. As does a passport.

OP said the travel mate didn't have the birth certificate, no mention of having a passport.

If you leave your DL at home, does a passport check both boxes?

A closed loop cruise from the US requires proof of identification (government issued photo ID) and proof of citizenship (birth certificate). A passport performs both functions.

In addition, entry into Canada has its own requirements (usually a passport).

Of course the OP's friend could be a local from Washington state and have an Enhanced Driver's License. An EDL DOES prove citizenship. Friend is probably from Oregon like OP, but blanket statement that Driver's License isn't proof of citizenship isn't correct.

Yes, it does.

I hope you have travel insurance! And the answer is NO. She won't be allowed to board without either a passport or a birth certificate AND a government I.D.

Travel insurance usually does not pay when the failure to cruise is do to forgotten documents.

True but if they have cancel for any reason.. This is so unfortunate! Can you imagine being left behind for such a stupid resson?

I don’t think it’s a stupid reason. Stupid might be...

1) so drunk you over slept

2) took a flight to LA when you were cruising from San Francisco

3) took flight to departure port, but never booked the cruise.

4)

My family gets upset with me when I ask them twice if they have their passports. Beats that alternative!

I don't just "ask"...

Everyone SHOWS their passports in the car BEFORE we pull out of the driveway...

We also double check that nothing was left in the car/van/bus/whatever when we get out at the port!

Beats the alternative agreed!

I don't just "ask"...

Everyone SHOWS their passports in the car BEFORE we pull out of the driveway...

We also double check that nothing was left in the car/van/bus/whatever when we get out at the port!

Beats the alternative agreed!

That's what I did when I chaperoned a group of 18s for a high school graduation trip. I had to SEE each passport before they could get into a vehicle.

Joyful group. The one who told me she had traveled all over the world and didn't need to read the packing instructions was the one who showed up at the TSA checkpoint with probably $200 worth of full sized toiletries in her carry on. Fortunately someone had a bag that suddenly did double duty as a piece of checked luggage so she didn't have to toss all her junk.

True but if they have cancel for any reason.. This is so unfortunate! Can you imagine being left behind for such a stupid resson?

If they have CFAR insurance they need to call and cancel then turn around and go home without setting foot in the terminal for it to pay out. If they try to throw themselves on the mercy of the cruise line but are unsuccessful then they are not cancelling, they are being denied boarding for a violation of the cruise contract (presenting sufficient proof of citizenship at embarkation). Which even the most liberal CFAR insurance will list as an exclusion of coverage.