Is it ok to use US dollars to tip bartenders onboard Mediterranean cruise?

SoDakMinnie

We have the ultimate beverage package and found last year that tipping the bartender and/or server $1 got us better service. Since we will cruising in the Mediterranean this year I was wondering if this is still ok or if we need to use euros? Bills are so much easier than coins which would be what we would need to use if we tip in euros.

Sure it is o.k.! The main currency of the crew is USD no matter what waters they are in. As there are no small bills in Euro - the smallest one it 5 Euro - giving out tips in USD is totally o.k..

steamboats

We have the ultimate beverage package and found last year that tipping the bartender and/or server $1 got us better service. Since we will cruising in the Mediterranean this year I was wondering if this is still ok or if we need to use euros? Bills are so much easier than coins which would be what we would need to use if we tip in euros.

Sure! This is what we did when we were on the Spirit last month (the US $1 bills). We did ask a couple of bartenders which currency they preferred to be tipped in, and they said that doesn't matter.

Thanks for the replies! I wanted to make sure that there wasn’t a problem for the crew to exchange USD. As much as I prefer bitcoin and Monopoly money, maybe I should embrace my artistic scrapbooking skills and handmade my own currency:')

The crew pay for things on the ship in dollars.

Ok, maybe not “better service” exactly but we get asked if we want another drink and don’t feel bad when asking for things like a glass of water when in crowded places like Howling at the Moon. It is probably not necessary but for a few extra $ I feel like I can acknowledge the people that are worked extremely hard with so many getting the UBP. I know we paid gratuity already so maybe it just makes me feel better:confused::confused:

Ok, maybe not “better service” exactly but we get asked if we want another drink and don’t feel bad when asking for things like a glass of water when in crowded places like Howling at the Moon. It is probably not necessary but for a few extra $ I feel like I can acknowledge the people that are worked extremely hard with so many getting the UBP. I know we paid gratuity already so maybe it just makes me feel better:confused::confused:

I have no problem with that. :)

They are happy to take your money. I really want to know the definition of better service, and how you know you get it.

I don’t know if I get better service I guess. I just know it makes ME feel better ;)

They are happy to take your money. I really want to know the definition of better service, and how you know you get it.

I go to the bank and order 2.00 bills in advance of leaving for the cruise( usually can have in a week), by the third day we are known as the 2.00 bill couple lol, our drinks never run dry and should I buy a drink for a performer, (more so on carnival at piano bar) although I am 100% willing and planning to pay for the drink, (drinks for others not included in drink package) I have never had to. They just add it to my package for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I go to the bank and order 2.00 bills in advance of leaving for the cruise( usually can have in a week), by the third day we are known as the 2.00 bill couple lol, our drinks never run dry and should I buy a drink for a performer, (more so on carnival at piano bar) although I am 100% willing and planning to pay for the drink, (drinks for others not included in drink package) I have never had to. They just add it to my package for free.

be careful of using 2 dollar bills. because they are so rare to most people and business, they are sometimes not accepted as legal currency. Regular ole 1 dollar bills is a safer

be careful of using 2 dollar bills. because they are so rare to most people and business, they are sometimes not accepted as legal currency. Regular ole 1 dollar bills is a safer

They are used to tip the workers not off the ship, it is the novelty of something new most have not seen before, the ship commissary is fine letting workers use them.

$2 bills are not even close to rare. Go to your bank and they will give you thousands of them. They HAVE TO BE accepted as legal currency, they are legal tender just as any other US currency. There is nothing any more or less safe about a $2 bill.

Only must be accepted as legal tender within the United States. I remember 2001, 2002 in SE Asia the 1996 US $100 dollar bill was the must counterfeited note in the world, no one would take them, you could not get even banks to accept them.... Only a very few banks with ties to US Banks would handle them. So yes has to be accepted if within the United States by law, but even in the US merchants can and do say no.

Bottom line is do not use $2 bills to tip onboard .anywhere. The question has come up time and again on the boards usually because the questioner wanted to leave a "memorable tip". They will remember you for sure :evilsmile:

$2 bills used to be rare. Now they are being printed again and used a lot. A dropzone I went to gave me change in crispy, just-printed $2 bills. I still have a handful of them at home.

Bartenders prefer money, any money. Is this a serious question?

Actually, they don't prefer "any money". Nobody wants Canadian money, my only regret is that I don't have photos of their faces when a loonie or toonie is presented.

It is well know that people in the service industry will make sure to take care of the people who tip them. It is especially true on a cruise ship with the foreign workers as the $ is worth more to them as it is to us.

For example: once I tip, the server or bartender will go out of their way to keep my drinks flowing. Many times having the drink already in the process of being made just because the see me walking towards them. Works out especially well on the pool deck with the servers walking around as I do t even have to get out of my seat if I don’t want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk