On board "Seminars", buyers beware

aguamel

Princess is contracting with individuals and companies to come aboard and offer informational seminars. Most deal with health issues and usually are very informative and factual. Most of us could use some help in being healthier. Part of the "pitch" is a sale of their products. The warning of "buyer beware" is to be kept in mind, for the presenter is usually well versed in sales techniques. Sales are usually final once you are off the ship. So if you have buyers remorse be sure you take action before disembarking. I do believe Princess has a responsibility to carefully screen those whom they contract to make such presentations, so we who are "captive audiences" are not pressure and that the information and products have merit.

and my wife refuses to go back to the spa...

Yeah...I quit going to the spa when they instituted the automatic 18% gratuity. I always tip and have had others comment that I'm "really generous." But I don't like being told how much I have to tip. The spa services on the ship are significantly more expensive than at privately owned "day spas" in my city and outrageously expensive when compared to chain spas. Frankly, Steiner is a chain that has gotten a contract on every line I've ever cruised. The combination of excessive prices, automatic tip (and then including a line for more tip!) and excessive selling.....nope. If I'm in the mood, I'll do a spa day at home prior to the cruise.

Simple solution -- do NOT go to the "sellinars"!

I suspect they are right up there w/the art auctions & jewelry "sellinars". (I really like that word!)

Won't waste my precious sea days w/the vendors!

I have no problem telling someone, "No thank you." I've never bought additional stuff in the spa or at any kind of seminar like that either, but my sister walked out with hundreds of dollars of facial creams and stuff from the spa. :o This was after I warned her about the sales pitch. So, no matter how much you tell people to beware, they're gonna do what they're gonna do. ;)

LOL - my favorite sellinar on a recent cruise (another cruise line) was one on how to buy a "used" watch.

Yup, that's right. The vendor on board had "refurbished" timepieces on board to sell.

I walked by during this seminar and it was amazing how many people were at it.

This has going on for a while. "Good Feet" is a typical example of one of these on board sellinars. I just stay away or back out saying No Thank You.

We laugh at that one. My daughter has a condition that, among other things, causes significant deformities in her feet. She suggested that she should do their foot thing and see what kind of crap they spouted to her.

LOL - my favorite sellinar on a recent cruise (another cruise line) was one on how to buy a "used" watch.

Yup, that's right. The vendor on board had "refurbished" timepieces on board to sell.

I walked by during this seminar and it was amazing how many people were at it.

Well you do know that the watch was owned a little old lady in Pasadena and only worse it to church once a week.:)

We laugh at that one. My daughter has a condition that' date=' among other things, causes significant deformities in her feet. She suggested that she should do their foot thing and see what kind of crap they spouted to her.[/quote']

I laughed at that one too! I had the free foot analysis and was told that I needed to walk barefoot a bit more, as my balance is off. I walk barefoot all the time unless I'm on a cruise!!!

On our first cruise we got sucked into what turned out to be a shopping seminar. GAH!!! Never again. What a total waste of time but people flock to those things like they are going to get some wonderful deals and insights. Can you say Diamonds International?

As for used watches... I have a nice used watch. A very good friend always wanted a Rolex but we were both young and poor. Later in life he bought his Rolex and wore it as his "everyday" watch for a number of years. He always told his kids that when he died the watch was to be mine. Sadly, he did die a couple of years ago so I have his "used" watch. I don't wear it as an everyday watch but do wear it every evening when we sail and also when we "go out" somewhere. I don't mind that it's used and it reminds me of my friend every time I wear it.

I don't know why one would go to one of these sales events. You're better off at the trivia contests.

At least there, you might win a coaster......beats being taken to the cleaners. People go thinking that they will win something of value or get a coupon book that will save them a zillion dollars in port.

Another joke is the art auction....cruise on a different ship 2 years later, same pictures.

Edited by moki'smommy

I don't know why one would go to one of these sales events. You're better off at the trivia contests.

Like I said, it was our first cruise ever. We didn't realize what we were getting into until it was too late. Some people really seem to enjoy them and get some value out of them. I'm sure some just go in the hope they will win whatever jewelry is being given away. I know that the Champagne at Effy things were well attended on recent cruises. Not for me...

Like I said, it was our first cruise ever. We didn't realize what we were getting into until it was too late. Some people really seem to enjoy them and get some value out of them. I'm sure some just go in the hope they will win whatever jewelry is being given away. I know that the Champagne at Effy things were well attended on recent cruises. Not for me...

I always go to the art auctions. Never bought anything there, but I do attend. One auction on NCL the presenter was putting up pictures and starting bids at $25,000 and no one was bidding. Soon he was YELLING at us ... "If you don't bid on these pictures I will SHUT this down"! So we all drank our champagne and left.

Another art auction the presenter was only putting up one guy's pieces. I'll call him Allen (I don't remember the name) but NO ONE was interested. He finally asked why no one was bidding? I said ... "Because no one likes Allen's work!". So he asked the group ... "Who likes his work ... what pieces do you like?" NO response, no takers. LOL ...

We do take advantage of the free rides to Diamonds International each time. The key is to sneak away without anybody noticing that you never made it inside. Saved $20 in Puerto Vallarta and we got dropped off way closer to The Malecon than a cab would’ve. Streets were closed that day for a holiday.

I really don’t have much shame in snagging a few glasses of champagne, tbh. But the Effy crap on board...my mom is a BIG fan of Effy. By our last day, the store manager got her item down to a 60% discount. Unfortunately for him, she buys all her Effy at Macy’s and knows the prices by heart. She told him Macy’s would give her 70% off and walked away (me with more booze in tow). She wasn’t wrong.

As for used watches... I have a nice used watch. A very good friend always wanted a Rolex but we were both young and poor. Later in life he bought his Rolex and wore it as his "everyday" watch for a number of years. He always told his kids that when he died the watch was to be mine. Sadly, he did die a couple of years ago so I have his "used" watch. I don't wear it as an everyday watch but do wear it every evening when we sail and also when we "go out" somewhere. I don't mind that it's used and it reminds me of my friend every time I wear it.

That is cool! Bet you think of him every time you look at it. ☺☺ You must have been very special to him that his kids actually gave it to you. Some children fight over such small things.

A friend has hearing aids left to her by a lifelong friend. He knew she needed them but couldn’t afford them. A mutual friend helped the family pack up his house and possessions. She took the hearing aids to my friend. They went to Costco, had her hearing tested, and recalibrated the aids for her.

She always mentions her deceased friend and how grateful she is.

I never would have thought to recycle hearing aids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have no problem telling someone, "No thank you." I've never bought additional stuff in the spa or at any kind of seminar like that either, but my sister walked out with hundreds of dollars of facial creams and stuff from the spa. :o This was after I warned her about the sales pitch. So, no matter how much you tell people to beware, they're gonna do what they're gonna do. ;)

Your comment reminded me of our final onboard printout that was left in our mail box outside our cabin door. I took it in the cabin and started to look it over! My eye balls about popped out of my head! $1,000 spent at the spa, $2,000 bar bill. I never used the spa and never drank any booze from any bar. Looked at the cabin number and they put it in the wrong mail box. I guess it's nothing for people to get a final bill like that.

That is cool! Bet you think of him every time you look at it. ☺☺ You must have been very special to him that his kids actually gave it to you. Some children fight over such small things.

Or the friend bought the kids up to respect their wishes. As a lawyer I often have to act for people who contest wills, I hate to think what the deceased would think.