Pre-cruise days with or without Viking in Budapest?

planner123456

Viking wants $1000 to spend 2 days in Budapest before our cruise. They charge a fee of $100pp to get there early (which is super annoying). Wondering if we could supply our own hotel, breakfast and transfers for less than the $800 difference? What do you think? There was also a line item for "Viking service host" but I don't know what that means.

Stay at the Budapest Sofitel and you can walk to the ship. Right in the old city looking across the Danube at the castle. Viking has a desk in the lobby. You can do this for MUCH less than $1,000!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Budapest is quite easy to navigate... and you should be able to stay for an extra few nights for much less than Viking is charging. The Viking boats dock close to the Chain Bridge - so look for a hotel close to that and you should be ok to get to the boat on your own.

If you need transfers, let me know and I can give you the name of the person we have used a few times.

Fran

• Like 1

OP--you are talking about $1000 PER PERSON, correct? I would think a couple could spend 2 days in Budapest for less than $2K.

If you are a single traveler, then, as Emily Latella would say on SNL, (showing my age), well then......NEVERMIND!!!

On the other hand, in 2015 Viking put us up at the Hilton across the river and the view from our hotel room across the river was worth the price of admission. Not that I am suggesting that you go with the Viking pre-cruise package but rather that you not limit yourself to the hotels that are closest to the ship. A cab ride from the hotel to the ship is cheap enough.

Here is the view from our hotel window; the view at night was even more amazing.

enhance

OP--you are talking about $1000 PER PERSON, correct? I would think a couple could spend 2 days in Budapest for less than $2K.

If you are a single traveler, then, as Emily Latella would say on SNL, (showing my age), well then......NEVERMIND!!!

I just looked on the Viking website and the cost for the two night Budapest extension is $449pp max, so yes, not quite a thousand for two people. The price depends on when you are traveling--cheapest in March, most expensive in Sept&Oct. The price includes transfers, 2 nights, 2 breakfasts but no tours (as do some of the extension packages). So, basically, this is just the cost for two nights in a hotel. You still have to add lunches and dinners to the budget.

A travel website will help you get a handle on hotel costs. Don't forget to include the cost of the transfer from the airport in your calculations. Still, you can stay in a nice hotel, for two nights, pay for your transfers, the deviation fee, your lunches and dinners and maybe even stay an additional night for the same amount as Viking is charging.

Stay at the Budapest Sofitel and you can walk to the ship. Right in the old city looking across the Danube at the castle. Viking has a desk in the lobby. You can do this for MUCH less than $1,000!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Budapest Sofitel - great hotel in a great location. My TA set me up there, with transfers from the airport, and to the ship, as well as an evening bus tour. I was able to see and do a lot of things on my own on foot as well. The whole pre-trip package was about $250. Sofitel has a great breakfast buffet.

Roz

We stayed in the Four Seasons for less than $1000 for two nights. Booked with AMEX and got breakfast included plus an upgrade to a bridge view room and a F&B credit that covered pretty much a full dinner. Then we bought the Budapest card which covered public transport from the airport (pretty easy if you are into that sort of thing). And yes, the Viking ships were within a stone's throw of us, right at the base of the Chain Bridge. We were on Uniworld, so we had to schlep it to the Drava pier on the north edge of town, but that was easy enough too.

There are obviously cheaper hotels available, so I will add to the chorus who says that you can beat what Viking wants to charge you. But it will involve some DIY, which you may or may not be comfortable with. I enjoy the challenge of DIY, but it is your choice, and either one is fine.

But, only two days? There is much more to see than that time will allow!

• Like 1

As everyone has pointed out you can easily beat Viking. We were post cruise but spent 2 nights at the waterfront Marriott. From the ship we walked to the hotel. View room with vouchers for cocktails. We had to pay the extra $100pp change fee and would have come out ahead in Budapest alone but we also booked Amsterdam on our own and saved a bundle over Viking there as well. The change fee is a one time charge.

We arrived 2 days early in Budapest last fall for our Danube Waltz cruise and also stayed at the Marriott right the river- watched for deals and got breakfast included. I think we paid under $200 per night.

We could see the Viking pier from the hotel.

We made arrangements for a private transfer from airport to hotel-( which I learned about from this board!). We did not want to have to deal with cabs etc - driver meet us at arrivals, handled our luggage and even gave us a bit if a history lesson on the trip in from the airport - for less than around 45 bucks including tip.

Dealing with the Taxi isn't hard...you follow the signs and walk about 20' from the airport doors, there is a little booth. Tell them where your hotel is, they write the hotel name and price on a slip of paper, which you hand to the next taxi driver in the lineup.

It was the equivalent of $25 usd to get to our hotel which was 1 block from the market hall. We got lucky and our cruise ship was a 2 block walk away.

Budapest is a great city, you won't be disappointed.

Would you be willing to share who yu used for the transfer from the airpor? We also are arranging everything on our own. Thanks so much.

We have used Pulai Alajos on a number of occasions - and have recommended him to friends, and on this site as well.

http://budapestairporttaxi.com/Welcome.html

He responds quickly to e-mails. His prices are comparable to that of a taxi service - and he is waiting for you when you arrive. Friends booked him as they had a late night arrival, and said it was great to not have to worry about finding a taxi. If he doesn't come himself, he will arrange for a driver (we have had his wife, and a colleague for transfers...).

Fran

Budapest Sofitel - great hotel in a great location. My TA set me up there, with transfers from the airport, and to the ship, as well as an evening bus tour. I was able to see and do a lot of things on my own on foot as well. The whole pre-trip package was about $250. Sofitel has a great breakfast buffet.

Roz

Here's another vote for the Sofitel. There are probably cheaper alternatives but the location and the view were well worth the price. The Viknig ships were docked right across from the hotel; maybe a 500 ft walk.

I'm also going to put in a plug for the local guide we used. We found Melinda K. through Tours By Locals. She was terrific.

Paul

On the other hand, in 2015 Viking put us up at the Hilton across the river and the view from our hotel room across the river was worth the price of admission. Not that I am suggesting that you go with the Viking pre-cruise package but rather that you not limit yourself to the hotels that are closest to the ship. A cab ride from the hotel to the ship is cheap enough.

Here is the view from our hotel window; the view at night was even more amazing.

enhance

We were originally scheduled to be at this Hilton but were moved to the other one...in Pest with no view whatsoever. I had already booked an extra day at the pictured Hilton. Fortunately I was able to switch...had the refundable rate. For some reason our group had NO scenic hotels....an airport one in Bucharest far away from Old Town and the Hilton Pest, a nice hotel close to restaurants but not in walking distance of any of the sights we wanted to see. That said, we had a great three days in Budapest, two with Viking on our itinerary and an extra one at the same Pest Hilton.

Relatives who traveled Viking before we did raved at the great hotels in the historic areas. We will have our third Viking cruise next week. Don't know about Berlin but our Prague Hilton is far away from Old Town, not the one right in the historic area.

OP, I am with the others that say you can do it cheaper. Your money goes a long way in Hungary which is not on the Euro. Our day on our own was fabulous and included things I found on Trip Advisor that were not among the offered excursions such as the Labyrinth which DH loved.

We stayed at the Hilton (in a room with a very similar view to the one above). We got a room on the executive floor with access to free food and drink in the lounge. The Viking post-extension folks were in the same hotel, but we did it much cheaper on our own. The hotel is in a great location. We had no trouble transferring from the ship to the hotel on our own, and we just took at cab to the airport (which we arranged through the front desk at the hotel). I can't remember how much we saved, but it was significant.

• 4 weeks later...

If you really want to save money do as we did before our Viking cruise. From airport took bus to train station and then took train to within a block of the Ibis hotel and walked to hotel. Spent two days walking and riding busses in Budapest. We like adventure on our trips. A good travel book on Budapest is a must for being on your own.

If you really want to save money do as we did before our Viking cruise. From airport took bus to train station and then took train to within a block of the Ibis hotel and walked to hotel. Spent two days walking and riding busses in Budapest. We like adventure on our trips. A good travel book on Budapest is a must for being on your own.
Yes, public transport is included with the Budapest card. We ordered online before leaving home, then picked up the cards at the airport upon arrival. The clerks activated them, and then we took the airport bus to the train station and walked to our hotel, exactly as the previous poster.

The 72-hour Budapest cards cost a little over $30 each (we saved 10% buying online). We also used public transport to get to the dock. And we went all over town for the 72 hours in between. Well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We stayed at the Sofitel also for a little over $100 us$ A night for 3 nights pre cruise and did a walking tour and a day in wine country booked through viator on our own.

The metro is easy, easy to walk through town and the ship is right there at the Chain bridge.

We have used Pulai Alajos on a number of occasions - and have recommended him to friends, and on this site as well.

http://budapestairporttaxi.com/Welcome.html

We just booked a transfer with Welcome Pick-ups:

https://www.welcomepickups.com/

We have no problem taking taxis, but will be a family group of 6 which likely means 2 taxis, and we know some of the members of our family would be more comfortable being in the same taxi. So I booked a private transfer to assure we could do one vehicle. It was only 46€, including tolls, tip and VAT for the 30-40 minute ride so seemed worth it.

Also, in response to the OP, in our experience it is usually much more cost effective to book pre- and post- stays independently. Cruise lines tend to charge per person, rather than by the hotel room, so it's usually a lot more expensive for two people. Of course, if you are not comfortable taking cabs/Ubers, and booking your own sightseeing, then booking through the cruise might make more sense, even if it costs significantly more.

We are on our last day of a Viking 14 day cruise. We began in Budapest two days before our cruise began and stayed at Hotel Moments. Our hotel was wonderful, in a great location and came with a fantastic breakfast. We used points to pay for it but it would have been $175 a night as we were in a junior suite. The concierge pre-arranged our airport pick up. It was around $50 for a sedan but they had access to larger vehicles for larger groups. We saved a lot by not going through Viking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2018 at 6:35 PM, planner123456 said:

Viking wants $1000 to spend 2 days in Budapest before our cruise. They charge a fee of $100pp to get there early (which is super annoying). Wondering if we could supply our own hotel, breakfast and transfers for less than the $800 difference? What do you think? There was also a line item for "Viking service host" but I don't know what that means.

My wife and I did pre cruise in San Juan.  It includes flight deviation saved $200-$300 for that plus whatever the cost of the transfers to the ship.  Here’s why it’s not bad.  Three days before our trip the MD8 airplanes were grounded. I got changed to a flight that got in at 1am.  Because I purchased the pre Cruise we were put up in a 5 star hotel  they paid cab fare also to and from ship.  Cost $510.  This would have come out of my pocket.  So paying $898 for the Budapest isn’t as bad as you think.  Longer flights mean more connection problems I considered it my trip insurance