duty free liquor.

Hi

Can any tell me what they paid in duty free tax if you bring home more liquor than the allowed amount?

I know we each can bring one liter duty free, but is it worth it to buy more and pay the duty tax?

Thanks for any info.

We've purchased 4 bottles before and didn't have to pay duty on the extras. The duty is based on the price you pay and if it's low enough CBP has determined that it's not worth holding up lines, etc. to collect the small amount of duty. Not sure what the cut off is at all.

I’ve never been charged when bringing over the 5 liters (or whatever the limit is). It’s been at least 5 years since I’ve brought anything back so my knowledge isn’t current. I’ve heard that Galveston is pretty strict about it though. I’ve stopped bothering to buy liquor on cruises because you really don’t save money anymore. Prices are the same as home, maybe $1 or $2 cheaper, but not worth the hassle of lugging it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ve never been charged. I’ve heard that Galveston is pretty strict about it though. I’ve stopped bothering to buy liquor on cruises though because you really don’t save any money anymore. Prices are the same as home, maybe $1 or $2 cheaper, but not worth the hassle of lugging it home.

It's my understanding that all Texas ports will collect Texas alcohol taxes for returning passengers, even if the alcohol won't be staying in Texas. One of the reasons that I'm not in a big hurry to cruise from Texas.

I’ve never been charged when bringing over the 5 liters (or whatever the limit is). It’s been at least 5 years since I’ve brought anything back so my knowledge isn’t current. I’ve heard that Galveston is pretty strict about it though. I’ve stopped bothering to buy liquor on cruises because you really don’t save money anymore. Prices are the same as home, maybe $1 or $2 cheaper, but not worth the hassle of lugging it home.

Actually not always true. Picked up a 750 ML bottle of Johnnie Blue in St. Marrten for $90 when I was there in April. Would have gotten more if I had room for it. Luggage was already at the weight limit. Good news is that a friend was there a couple of weeks later and picked up two more for me at $97 each. Not bad for a bottle that sells for $180 near me.

Actually not always true. Picked up a 750 ML bottle of Johnnie Blue in St. Marrten for $90 when I was there in April. Would have gotten more if I had room for it. Luggage was already at the weight limit. Good news is that a friend was there a couple of weeks later and picked up two more for me at $97 each. Not bad for a bottle that sells for $180 near me.

Good find! I haven’t been so lucky.

For what little amount customs would collect, and the amount of paper work they have to do...most of the time they will just wave you through if you are over.

We are always honest and tell them if we are over by a bottle or two. They have never pulled us aside, but instead waved us through. Probably jinxed myself just now, but on the other hand...it is a rare occasion that we would be over anyway.

We went over our alcohol having purchased 5 bottles. We declared it and the customs agent tallied it up.

He said it was our lucky day and joked that we should buy a lottery ticket - we owed $9.97 but said they don't bother with anything less than $10 and sent us on our way.

We went over our alcohol having purchased 5 bottles. We declared it and the customs agent tallied it up.

He said it was our lucky day and joked that we should buy a lottery ticket - we owed $9.97 but said they don't bother with anything less than $10 and sent us on our way.

Exactly. Honesty pays dividends! :)

We have often gone way over the limit, always declare it, and have only had to pay duty twice. Once was in Miami back when you had to declare yourself to Customs on the ship at 6AM, and once was in Port Canaveral when we were one of the first off the ship. Both times, We were charged less than $15. In our two experiences, the agents would only take cash and when asked, explained that the formula to calculate the duty on each bottle is based on the alcohol content.

One cruse we found a great deal on Crown Royal and bought more than we should have. We did declare it on our custom form and the agent asked me if I knew I was bring back too much alcohol. I said yes but I couldn’t pass up the great deal I got but I did declare it. He picks up the phone and soon another agent came to take us to a back room. The new agent tells me he’s got to charge me duty on the overage. No problem Sir...How much is this duty going to cost me. He does some figuring and tells me it’ll be $8.59. I tried to keep a straight face as I gave him the money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's my understanding that all Texas ports will collect Texas alcohol taxes for returning passengers, even if the alcohol won't be staying in Texas. One of the reasons that I'm not in a big hurry to cruise from Texas.

In Feb paid $3.50 for the bottle I bought on board - was nabbed as I was leaving with suitcase in tow. Was not expected.

I agree.

The days of real duty free are long since gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen anything worth the hassle. But, I also know the duty is minimal if you decide to bring back more than the duty free allowed. Unless things have changed some shore shops will ship it to you and you don't pay duty on that and you don't have to declare it when you clear customs.

I agree.

The days of real duty free are long since gone.

It helps to remember that duty free refers to free from export duty. What we pay (if we have to) coming back into the US is import duty.

So the government still gets to take its federal tax on the sale of each bottle.

Must have been a change in the past 20 years.

At one time spirits ‘duty free’ were free of government tax.

Ie pretty damn cheap.

I’m referring to UK.

A £20,bottle of scotch was about £12 in tax, £8 duty free.

I guess things must have changed.

Import tax is nothing. 58% government tax and 20% VAT soon adds up.

The Famous "Texas Shakedown":mad:

Mike

So the government still gets to take its federal tax on the sale of each bottle.

Must have been a change in the past 20 years.

At one time spirits ‘duty free’ were free of government tax.

Ie pretty damn cheap.

I’m referring to UK.

A £20,bottle of scotch was about £12 in tax, £8 duty free.

I guess things must have changed.

Import tax is nothing. 58% government tax and 20% VAT soon adds up.

AFAIK this is the way it's always been, except they used to be more willing to charge the duty on any purchase that exceeds the allowance. I have no idea how any of this works in any other country.

There are two things you pay on alcohol. One is duty, which is so much per liter over the limit. IIRC, it is $1.25 per liter.

The second is Federal Excise Tax, and that is based on the price paid.

Both combined are not that much. So buy what you want, declare it, and if you have to pay, then pay.

And I agree, the days of great deals on duty free are gone. You occasionally find a deal here or there, but typical prices are not that great. But you can find some special releases that are ONLY available in duty free. and typically restricted to a certain area, like only available in EU duty free.

Several of the special flavor Bailey's were like that, but then became more available. And some single malt Scotch's are released duty free only.

Sometimes, it's not the price, it's the availability. I like Blanton's bourbon but you can not find it here in the Houston area. At our last cruise to the Cayman Islands, I went into a little liquor store and there was a whole rack of Blanton's! To make it even better, their prices were much lower than state side! Ah, yes. The cruise memories.

Thank you all for the answers. As I am driving to the port and parking there, it is easy to bring it home. That is why I would like to buy a little more than 2 bottles. I would not buy and fly anymore. Too much work.

Thanks again, I leave next week.

I routinely buy on a cruise and always declare it. We cruise out of Florida and it's never been a problem. Like a previous poster, only been charged duty maybe twice. One time was in the "old days" when you met with customs before debarking. We had 22 Bottles (all liters)! The customs agent was very nice and found the cheapest combination of duty. Total duty on 22 bottles was $26! He did ask if he could come to the party. :)

One thing to keep in mind, Royal Caribbean has a "price guarantee" for alcohol. If you find it cheaper on shore, they'll match it. You have to document the price. I took a cell phone photo, went back on the ship and showed them and they matched the price. So keep that option open.

Booze bought on board isn't really duty free, it is simply tax free. If I recall from the last time we cruised you could bring back a couple hundred bucks (maybe $400) of stuff (including liquor) without declaring it.

We brought back 4 liters last December (a couple as gifts) and didn't need to declare it because it was under the limit.