Currency for tipping

We often tip in the currency that we want to dispose of. In South America we tipped in Argentinian and Uruguayan currency. In Europe it can be anything-GBP, Euros, Kuna, whatever. We see no point in buying currency simply for tipping purposes.

Of course not - but the point of tipping is to give something of value to the recipient - not just to rid yourself of unwanted change. Kuna would not be much good to an Indonesian on a HAL ship sailing between Western Europe and the US.

Of course not - but the point of tipping is to give something of value to the recipient - not just to rid yourself of unwanted change. Kuna would not be much good to an Indonesian on a HAL ship sailing between Western Europe and the US.

Just a sight quibble with your post in response to the one to whom you responded.

Upon arrival in Argentina on the Zaandam, and knowing that she had more visits to this country in 2018, I did use my unused Argentine Pesos as part of a gratuity for a crew member. Knowing that the crew member's contract would not end for some time, I felt certain that he would be able to use my gratuity for any on-shore purchases he needed to make.

We live in a very small world. Most currencies can be exchanged, wired, etc anytime, anywhere.

I see little difference in giving USD, CAD, GBT, Bhat, EUR, Kuna, etc. the crew. It all gets exhanged at some point if only because the ship is on the move. Not to mention that monies are wired home.

The only thing that counts is providing a tip. A decent one. Not to get rid of pocket change but to tip with folding money that has real value to the recipient and that rewards them for going above and beyond.

I think it matter not what the currency of the ship happens to be or where the ship happens to be at the moment. It is the amount that counts.....in whatever currency it is tendered, in whatever currency it is spent, in whatever currrency it is transferred electronically.

As we don't carry US$ we either use $AUD, £ or € when cruising in Europe. The lowest denomination note in any of these currencies is $£€5. To my knowledge US is the only country that has low denomination notes which I believe is because of tipping. No other country tips like the US.

As we don't carry US$ we either use $AUD, £ or € when cruising in Europe. The lowest denomination note in any of these currencies is $£€5. To my knowledge US is the only country that has low denomination notes which I believe is because of tipping. No other country tips like the US.

It’s not because of tipping. It’s because they don’t like change. ;p

Perhaps there is someone on every ship who will "buy" kuna, bhat, yen,peso, etc. coins at a fair rate of exchange --- but I doubt it. Banks and foreign exchange operators have no interest in miscellaneous coins - that is why airports and airlines successfully request donations of such change for local charities from passing travelers.

For a tip to really be much more than a convenient low-cost way of getting rid of such ballast, it should be in the (paper) currency of the ship, the area being cruised, or the home country of the recipient.

It’s not because of tipping. It’s because they don’t like change. ;p

You're right there, at least as far as I'm concerned.

When I take my budgeted monthly cash I want $10 of it in ones. That's not heavy in bills, but in coin it sure would make my already heavy purse feel more like a carry-on.

Pockets full of coins ruin suit pants' look and comfort

My DH wore suits every day and emptied his pocket change each night so as to not ruin his suit pants.

If he started his dy with coins in his pockets by he end o the day, it would be heavy. so, it all got put in coin bank each evening.

Any currency you choose to give them they will be happy with it. Very easy to exchange and or deposit into the crews ships accounts. Whatever you are comfortable with.

Would you be "happy with it" if your employer paid some of your salary in UK one pound coins, Mexican Pesos and Swedish Kr coins they happened to have lying around -- because he was "comfortable" with it?

I would think that using coins would be acceptable for the crew because they could be used ashore, But, whether the on-board Crew Office would accept them to be credited to the crew members' account, I don't know. It might be a problem. (Really have no idea and have never read anywhere as to how the crews' finances are handled when they are on a ship.)

Crew have a purser and a bank on board. I do not know if the 'ship bank' will acept coins for deposit into their accounst.

Why would someone from Australia buy US$ simply to tip the crew of a ship based in Europe?

They wouldn't. Being Canadian, I certainly didn't buy $US when we sailed Norway last year. And I won't buy $US when I return to Norway next year.

The currency onboard is $US, for passengers, but I do not know whether crew are paid in $US.

Buying USD to tip in Europe???? How silly would that be if your home currency is not US.

I do not understand the issue. If I were the recipient of a tip why would I care what the currency was as long as it was legal tender and could be easily exchanged? Surely I would care more about it's value than the face on the bill.

There is no 'right' currency. We have no insight as to what the recipient plans to do with it....spend it in port, exchange and wire home, spend it while working another cruise in a different geographical area.

I just find it incredibly strange the people are actually arguing over what type of currency is best to use for gratuities. Very odd.

Buying USD to tip in Europe???? How silly would that be if your home currency is not US.

Except that from traveling outside the United States, 70 plus countries, 80 cruises, 20 years with residence outside the United States. I have found one currency is universal the US Dollar, nowhere in the World including places that banned the use of USD did I find the good old American dollar not accepted.

We been unable to buy or sell folding tender of any sort at a currency exchange agency...with one exception. We still have Cuban tourist currency our jar. Hopefully we will be still be able to use it next trip.

We have indeed been in places in foreign countries where the US dollar was not accepted by most merchants. Or any other foreign currency for that matter. We have also been in places where it was accepted in retail establishment but at a terrible exchange rate. But who really knows if the tip is going to be spent or if it is going to be wired?

Edited by iancal

They wouldn't. Being Canadian, I certainly didn't buy $US when we sailed Norway last year. And I won't buy $US when I return to Norway next year.

The currency onboard is $US, for passengers, but I do not know whether crew are paid in $US.

Some crew are paid in U.S. $ and some are not.

All ships have a crew bar and crew shopping periods which require cash. I presume that would mean that crew would like to have some $US, but would welcome anything that they can convert easily.

Edited by catl331

Not surprisingly, the majority of those advocating tipping in USD appear to reside in the US. Conversely, the majority of those of us who don't support the "USD works best" and similar pronouncements reside outside the US. As a Canadian, if I'm headed to countries where the Euro is the local currency, I'm not going to lose money converting CAD or EU into USD when I know that those I'm tipping can use the EU tip in the same ports that I'm spending it in. While a crew member may be able to spend the USD locally, it will be at a disadvantageous exchange rate, so first I lose changing it to USD and then the crew member loses spending in USD. No thanks.

While I wouldn't tip in Mexican pesos when in Europe, I'd certainly tip in MXN on a cruise to Mexico. It's just using a bit of common sense, not losing on currency exchange while providing a tip in a currency the crew member can spend and get full value.

When we did a Med. cruise we had extra Euros at the end, so we used it for tips. The cruise was remaining in Europe so we saw reason not to use the extra Euros that way.

we have seen the crew in ports and I am sure they would need money (euros) to spend.