West or East Caribbean?

Guym20

We are a young couple doing our first cruise.

We're looking for nice and beatiful beaches to relax at, we're not looking for sightseeing or any historical monuments.

We're pretty confused about the route to take - will the West or East suit us?

Thank you

We are a young couple doing our first cruise.

We're looking for nice and beatiful beaches to relax at, we're not looking for sightseeing or any historical monuments.

We're pretty confused about the route to take - will the West or East suit us?

Thank you

Skip the Caribbean and head straight to Polynesia and the South Pacific. Note that some cruise lines do include airfare (or air credit) in their cabin prices.

Nothing at all wrong with the Caribbean...it's gorgeous! The Eastern or Southern route has the best beaches, IMO....If you can find a cruise that goes to St. Thomas, take the trip to St. Johns.....I've never seen such a gorgeous beach in my life, and I'm a "beach gal"....the water was crystal clear, body temp, and it was surreal...to feel the buoyancy, without seeing or feeling the water. Worth the trip. A ship's excursion is the most fool-proof way to get there, but it can be done on your own, with research!

And how about the hurricanes at the east during that time? Isn't it riskier than the west?

What can happen if a hurricane develops there, will we divert to the west? Or just miss ports while staying at the sea?

And how about the hurricanes at the east during that time? Isn't it riskier than the west?

What can happen if a hurricane develops there, will we divert to the west? Or just miss ports while staying at the sea?

What time of year?

I thought I mentioned it - late August, beginning of September

Nope. Hurricane season tends to be busiest between mid-August to mid-September in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane season officially runs from June 1 through November 30 in the Caribbean.

The ship will sail away from weather (as best as possible) so you may find yourself on a cruise to nowhere or call on different ports than you intended to call on. This is one reason why often prices are a bit lower during hurricane season.

Nothing at all wrong with the Caribbean...it's gorgeous! The Eastern or Southern route has the best beaches, IMO....If you can find a cruise that goes to St. Thomas, take the trip to St. Johns.....I've never seen such a gorgeous beach in my life, and I'm a "beach gal"....the water was crystal clear, body temp, and it was surreal...to feel the buoyancy, without seeing or feeling the water. Worth the trip. A ship's excursion is the most fool-proof way to get there, but it can be done on your own, with research!

Sorry but, with a very few exceptions (best experienced by yacht charter), there's just no Caribbean comparison to places like Bora Bora, New Caledonia, Fiji et al. - not just the geography but also the culture, far fewer incidences of monstrous cruise ships parked all over along with thundering herds of tourists, etc.

6211fd7b2148ae3489bcfb2eb4a40ae1.jpg

Fakarava Lagoon

f4f131a9184a7b6cc1dea7f03ad7c632.jpg

NaPali coast, Kauai

95ad03da243cfd01ffb79d354ce9c383.jpg

Bora Bora

e33563060758f821bde3f0eeeae0168e.jpg

Easter Island

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Hurricane season simple means the time of the year when conditions are favorable for storms to develop - not a certainty that they will. And the East is no less riskier than the West, and visa versa. As others have said you will sail away from or around the storms and may miss a port of call or two if confronted with a storm.

But the cruise lines will know in advance what is developing and take appropriate measures. Once departed, however, it is highly unlikely an Eastern will be re-routed to the West, etc. Ports of call are scheduled months in advance and you cannot easily just go on another itinerary to avoid a storm. Besides, even if they could arrange it, the two regions are quite a distance apart in opposite directions, so it wouldn't be logistically feasible mid stream to change.

I would not be overly concerned about hurricanes. Perhaps we have been fortunate but in 26 years of cruising with many during the June - November hurricane season, we have never had a storm impact our cruise. Just relax, go, and enjoy your cruise.

And BTW both itineraries have very ncie beaches. However, some of our favorites have been in the Southern Caribbean - so there is another wrinkle. :)

Thank you

Though I really want the better beaches, it sounds like it'll be riskier on the East, and the west still have nice beaches, so I'll go with west (south is not an option)

Thank you :)

Thank you

Though I really want the better beaches, it sounds like it'll be riskier on the East, and the west still have nice beaches, so I'll go with west (south is not an option)

Thank you :)

You're welcome and enjoy. :)

Sorry but, with a very few exceptions (best experienced by yacht charter), there's just no Caribbean comparison to places like Bora Bora, New Caledonia, Fiji et al. - not just the geography but also the culture, far fewer incidences of monstrous cruise ships parked all over along with thundering herds of tourists, etc.

6211fd7b2148ae3489bcfb2eb4a40ae1.jpg

Fakarava Lagoon

f4f131a9184a7b6cc1dea7f03ad7c632.jpg

NaPali coast, Kauai

95ad03da243cfd01ffb79d354ce9c383.jpg

Bora Bora

e33563060758f821bde3f0eeeae0168e.jpg

Easter Island

You're also talking about 2-3x the cost, at least. Not everyone has that kind of budget.

Eastern and Southern Caribbean are my favorites. I very uch love the beahces in Aruba, Bonaire has wonderful diving, Curacao is at errific islsand, iMO.

If you can get to Key West, great, St. maarten is, of course, half Dutch, half French.

Edited by sail7seas

You're also talking about 2-3x the cost, at least. Not everyone has that kind of budget.

The only potential extra cost is airfare- easily addressed by picking cruise lines that provide "no extra cost" air (or air credit for DIY) or using FF miles.

The only potential extra cost is airfare- easily addressed by picking cruise lines that provide "no extra cost" air (or air credit for DIY) or using FF miles.

FF miles for r/t air for two to Oz/NZ to catch a South Pacific cruise is probably going to be in the 150-200k range at least, not something many people have the ability to do. As far as air included fares, the only lines that offer this AFAIK are the luxury brands, again very expensive. While I've never been to the South Pacific I have been fortunate to spend over 300 nights at sea on five different continents. I consider myself to be pretty well traveled, and I think a Caribbean cruise as a honeymoon for a young couple is a wonderful idea.

I agree that Polynesia beats the Caribbean - but your cost comparison is beyond absurd. Cheapest Polynesia sailing in OP’s time frame is Windstar - ocean view - 9/6 for 7 days $1,899. Carnival Glory from Miami 9/8 ocean view 9/8 for 7 days $489 pp.

Then add R/T air Miami -Papeete,

Sure, I‘d prefer Windstar and Polynesia — but comparable cost : BULL!

I agree that Polynesia beats the Caribbean - but your cost comparison is beyond absurd. Cheapest Polynesia sailing in OP’s time frame is Windstar - ocean view - 9/6 for 7 days $1,899. Carnival Glory from Miami 9/8 ocean view 9/8 for 7 days $489 pp.

Agree. And while Polynesia is an interesting comparison, the OP was asking about E v W Caribbean specifically and the beaches there - not the best beaches in the world. Even if it was in the realm of consideration it could not feasibly be done in a week, which most E & E Caribbean cruises are, or from Miami, which was the indicated preference of departure port.

This is one reason why often prices are a bit lower during hurricane season.

Not really the case as June through August is typically on the more expensive side of the season as that is prime family cruise time. And while September through November can be less expensive, it is not due to the hurricane season but because it is off peak season with with kids back in school, so the fares are often lower to attract more business. Same in the pre-summer months (except for Spring Break), which is not hurricane season. In other words, supply and demand - not weather. :)

Perhaps if you compared apples to apples?

Compare Windstar to Paul Gauguin or Oceania (all lines that do Polynesia with small ships regularly). Using Carnival pricing only gets you a Carnival experience (wherever they sail).

And, again: fares on some lines (like Oceania) include the airfare (even to Papeete from Miami).