Two formal nights necessary?

Choosing to do TWO formal nights or ANY formal nights is UP TO YOU!!! I didn't see ANYWHERE that it's enforced or mandatory and certainly the captain isn't going to make you walk the plank if you don't dress up!

and YES, everyone has their own definition of FORMAL night - Some might look elegant, while others say I'm not going to wear a tux, but I might also not wear shorts on FORMAL night.

On my future family cruise this August, we have ALL opted to just do ONE formal night together as a family - on the other night, we will NOT go to the MDR to be "those people".

Choosing to do TWO formal nights or ANY formal nights is UP TO YOU!!! I didn't see ANYWHERE that it's enforced or mandatory and certainly the captain isn't going to make you walk the plank if you don't dress up!

and YES, everyone has their own definition of FORMAL night - Some might look elegant, while others say I'm not going to wear a tux, but I might also not wear shorts on FORMAL night.

On my future family cruise this August, we have ALL opted to just do ONE formal night together as a family - on the other night, we will NOT go to the MDR to be "those people".

Great post and if the penalty was walking the plank then I'd actually follow it. So all you guys that love the formal nights have them change the policy to walking the plank. [emoji23] That was just a joke guys.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yep. Walking around on "formal night" it looks like some folks are going to a wedding, some are going out for a nice dinner and some just left the drive-through at McDonalds.

That sums it up perfectly! :D

Agree. Just another evening no matter what we are wearing. We're on a cruise and having a blast.

We dress up each formal night, but many of them only make it to the DL/CL/SL. Get yacking so much, no formal dinner for us. So we just end up getting a late bite in the WJ, walking in dressed to the nines..... with a glass of wine in hand...of course. :cool::wine-glass:

When we began cruising in 1997 “Formal NIght” was followed as suggested by the “Compass”. We enjoyed dressing up for Formal NIght then and still do at times. In 1997 we seldom saw someone dressed DOWN on formal night and therefore those nights had a special atmosphere throughout the ship.

As years have passed, more and more people have decided that dressing up was not their preference and dressed casual on Formal NIghts usually claiming “I paid for this cruise and I will dress the way I want”. These “dress down” people have diluted the Formal NIght atmosphere to the point that we have abandoned our preference to dress up and adopted the more casual mentality.

We used to verbally support “Formal Nights” on this board, but now we simply no longer care.

Now we only dress up when we have a dinner in the Main Dining Room with a high ranking officer....why?...out of respect for his/her position.

Do we miss seeing the ship filled with well dress guests....certainly. Do we still enjoy cruising and Formal Nights....absolutely. We smile, and compliment those who “dress up” and go about our business of enjoying the evening in our more casual clothes.

Extremely well stated Gil and Gail...as usual. :cool:

Just came back from a 7 night cruise and was wondering what others thought of having 2 formal nights on a week long cruise. I think 1 formal night is enough for a week. Do you think RCL keeps it in place because of tradition?

Done a few 13nite cruises, there was 3 Formal nites... But some like it, there are choices now, years ago all you had was Main Dining and even there not all get dressed up. Lately only time I've witnessed people turned away from Main Dining was wearing shorts on Formal nite...

Its a choice, 2 isn't that terrible.

I just wish the MDR on formal nights would enforce the dress code. A simple "this is a formal night, informal attire is more than welcome at one of our other restaurants tonight" would be fantastic.

In my humble opinion

I like the idea of the sign for formal night at MDR. Personally I like the excuse to dress nicely one or 2 nights. I do wish that other than boarding night they would at least not allow shorts (especially the bathing suit type board shorts) Just is tacky and wouldn't be allowed in any nice restaurant.

When we began cruising in 1997 “Formal NIght” was followed as suggested by the “Compass”. We enjoyed dressing up for Formal NIght then and still do at times. In 1997 we seldom saw someone dressed DOWN on formal night and therefore those nights had a special atmosphere throughout the ship.

As years have passed, more and more people have decided that dressing up was not their preference and dressed casual on Formal NIghts usually claiming “I paid for this cruise and I will dress the way I want”. These “dress down” people have diluted the Formal NIght atmosphere to the point that we have abandoned our preference to dress up and adopted the more casual mentality.

We used to verbally support “Formal Nights” on this board, but now we simply no longer care.

Now we only dress up when we have a dinner in the Main Dining Room with a high ranking officer....why?...out of respect for his/her position.

Do we miss seeing the ship filled with well dress guests....certainly. Do we still enjoy cruising and Formal Nights....absolutely. We smile, and compliment those who “dress up” and go about our business of enjoying the evening in our more casual clothes.

But how do you know what to pack if your invite doesn't come until you are already on ship?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just came back from a 7 night cruise and was wondering what others thought of having 2 formal nights on a week long cruise. I think 1 formal night is enough for a week. Do you think RCL keeps it in place because of tradition?

Some people lie them.

Personally it wouldn’t bother me if every night was formal

But how do you know what to pack if your invite doesn't come until you are already on ship?

Last August we got invited to dine with the Staff Captain. Luckily, I had brought dress shirt, tie and blazer. Another couple, he only had a dress shirt and tie. The other two men had suits.

Next cruise, I am packing a suit. :D

I felt under dressed.

I don't mind wearing a suit. And I really enjoy seeing my SO dressed up for a nice night.

Personally, I am more in the camp of enforce at least coat and tie for men, and equivalent for women. But it doesn't really bother me is people don't want to dress.

Last August we got invited to dine with the Staff Captain. Luckily, I had brought dress shirt, tie and blazer. Another couple, he only had a dress shirt and tie. The other two men had suits.

Next cruise, I am packing a suit. :D

I felt under dressed.

I don't mind wearing a suit. And I really enjoy seeing my SO dressed up for a nice night.

Personally, I am more in the camp of enforce at least coat and tie for men, and equivalent for women. But it doesn't really bother me is people don't want to dress.

I always bring the tux.

However once on a 3 day MJ I decided not to.

Got invited to dine with HD. [emoji33]

Luckily the LA was able to find me a sport coat.

Back to always being a tux now

Husband and son tell me that a properly fitted suit is just as comfy as a pair of khakis etc. No reason to not be comfortable in a tux; just gotta put the alternations time and money into it.

Heh, as a male, I'll have to disagree with you there. If wearing a suit and tie is just as comfy as a pair of khakis and a t-shirt, your clothes are WAY too big. A properly fitted shirt and tie doesn't give you that kind of flexibility.

That being said, I still wear a suit on formal nights.

When I first started cruising, I was excited to dress up for both formal nights but now I just stick to the first one. Enjoy formal nights as much or as little as you want - it's your vacation after all :)

Hello John. Haven’t sailed with you yet...would have recognized you both from your beautiful CC picture.

I didn’t say that we don’t pack a little black dress / suit or blazer when cruising...we do...just don’t wear them if we don’’t feel like it. We drive to the port and always bring more clothes than we need.

We haven’t sailed on the smaller ships in years...the Oasis class doesn’t generally have a Captain’s Table in the MDR. We eat all of our meals in Coastal Kitchen or Speciality Restaurants...haven’t dined in a MDR in years.

The Suites Lounge, Coastal Kitchen, and Speciality Restaurants have become rather casual. Yes, some dress up, some do not. The Concierge Letter asks that shorts not be worn on Formal nights....however we see many in them.

And I never said that we dress like slobs...just casual, which is the way we dress for dinner here in Virginia Beach. A nice top and pants / a blazer and khakis are both far from Formal but certainly good enough for a cruise ship that doesn’t enforce its recommendations.

When we sail for a special occasion, we sometimes take a gown / tux......not for the benefit of other guests but for each other.....and have, at times, worn such on a non-formal night if the occasion falls on such.

Now, let’s discuss those who dine while wearing a baseball hat, HaHa

Edited by beachnative

Hello John. Haven’t sailed with you yet...would have recognized you both from you beautiful CC picture.

I didn’t say that we don’t pack a little black dress / suit or blazer when cruising...we do...just don’t wear them if we don’’t feel like it. We drive to the port and always bring more clothes than we need.

We haven’t sailed on the smaller ships in years...the Oasis class doesn’t generally have a Captain’s Table in the MDR. We eat all of our meals in Coastal Kitchen or Speciality Restaurants...haven’t dined in MDR in years.

The Suites Lounge, Coastal Kitchen, and Speciality Restaurants have become rather casual. Yes, some dress up, some do not. The Concierge Letter asks that shorts not be worn on Formal nights....however we see many in them.

And I never said that we dress like slobs...just casual, which is the way we dress here in Virginia Beach. A nice top and pants / a blazer and khakis are both far from Formal but certainly good enough for a cruise ship that doesn’t enforce its recommendations.

When we sail for a special occasion, we sometimes take a gown / tux......not for the benefit of other guests but for each other.....and have, at times, worn such on a non-formal night if the occasion falls on such.

Now, let’s discuss those who dine while wearing a baseball hat.......that is irritating! HaHa

Gotcha, to me the tux setup is just as easy as jacket and tie. We do CK 4-5 times a week on Oasis. CK really shines at breakfast and lunch.

We still go to MDR for rack of lamb.

Did the glamour shots on Freedom, they are good, thanks.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I love formal nights and enjoy both on a seven day cruise. I would not want to give up either.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Gotcha, to me the tux setup is just as easy as jacket and tie. We do CK 4-5 times a week on Oasis. CK really shines at breakfast and lunch.

We still go to MDR for rack of lamb.

Did the glamour shots on Freedom, they are good, thanks.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The best reason for dressing formal is the sexiness of wife inserting husband’s cuff links and the husband zipping back of wife’s gown. :D:cool::)

The best reason for dressing formal is the sexiness of wife inserting husband’s cuff links and the husband zipping back of wife’s gown. :D:cool::)

Awww...Gil...you two still have the romance goin' on!! :hearteyes::hearteyes:

.I would prefer zero formal nights . I spent 38 years at a job where I had to wear a suit every day .No more suits for me.

.I would prefer zero formal nights . I spent 38 years at a job where I had to wear a suit every day .No more suits for me.
Ding, ding, ding, that is the correct response. Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk