Which Side of Ship

Not sure if silly question, but what side of the ship is better if you have a balcony or ocean view? We're waiting for guarantee assignment so in case we try and switch after assignment (to another in same category), want to get an idea of what is better.

Not sure if silly question, but what side of the ship is better if you have a balcony or ocean view? We're waiting for guarantee assignment so in case we try and switch after assignment (to another in same category), want to get an idea of what is better.

Better for what?

There is no "better" side. If you're looking to have your side facing land in port, it varies each time. When possible, the Captain will alternate...but lifeboat maintenance/drills can affect that. Sometimes, you pull "nose in"....sometimes you're anchored offshore and tendered in Sometimes, there's another ship between you and land.... Even if your side of the ship isn't facing the dock, you're in a harbor, with views all around.

Don't worry about which side you're on!

It depends where the ship is docked.

If you’re sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, and want to enjoy sail away from your balcony (instead of the top deck), port is best. Same with a southbound Alaska cruise. Although the ship should turn 360* degrees when viewing the glaciers. Guess it wouldn’t matter on a round trip Alaska sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As mentioned it really doesn't matter that much. I tend to like Starboard side because in 34 cruises, the ships tend to dock starboard side to the pier and I like sitting on the balcony in port relaxing and watching the action. Having said that, we have done cruises where they've alternated sides and even a 9 night where they docked port side at every port. So really it doesn't matter. What you might want to do is when you are assigned a cabin, check the deck plans for what is on the floor above and what is on the floor below. If you have something that could potentially be noisy you might want to try to change. We were on one cruise on Carnival where we were above the Piano Bar and there was a speaker right under our cabin. Decided since we were going to listen to the singing we might as well join in, so we spent each night in the piano bar. Actually had a GREAT time, but will never get "Sweet Caroline" out of my head. :)

POSH port outbound starboard home

"There is no evidence to support the folk etymology that posh is formed from the initials of port out starboard home (referring to the more comfortable accommodation, out of the heat of the sun, on ships between England and India)."

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/posh

As mentioned it really doesn't matter that much. I tend to like Starboard side because in 34 cruises, the ships tend to dock starboard side to the pier and I like sitting on the balcony in port relaxing and watching the action. Having said that, we have done cruises where they've alternated sides and even a 9 night where they docked port side at every port. So really it doesn't matter. What you might want to do is when you are assigned a cabin, check the deck plans for what is on the floor above and what is on the floor below. If you have something that could potentially be noisy you might want to try to change. We were on one cruise on Carnival where we were above the Piano Bar and there was a speaker right under our cabin. Decided since we were going to listen to the singing we might as well join in, so we spent each night in the piano bar. Actually had a GREAT time, but will never get "Sweet Caroline" out of my head. :)

We were right under the buffet one time and the chairs scraping the floor was very irritating, especially at 6am with the early coffee drinkers.

Just from a personal perspective.... my very first cruise a LONG time ago, my cabin was port side. Ever since then I choose a port cabin. My sense of direction seems to get turned around when I try to visit friends in a starboard cabin. My saving grace are the directories in the hallways that point the ship in the right direction. As others have said, it’s really dependent on how the Captain ports the ship and personal preference. Honestly it doesn’t bother me how the ship is ported, I like port side.

Out of Miami. That would be nice to watch from your own balcony. We're actually never had balcony before so really excited.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

In that case I would say port side too as that's the side you'll get the view of Miami Beach as you sail away