Pacific Coastal - yes or no

Tennant

We have a reservation for a 9/14 Pacific Coastal on the solstice. It’s not a typical itinerary, Seattle to Vancouver with stops in Astoria, San Francisco and Victoria. What is everyone’s thoughts on this itinerary? I’m having second thoughts and final payment is Friday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a reservation for a 9/14 Pacific Coastal on the solstice. It’s not a typical itinerary, Seattle to Vancouver with stops in Astoria, San Francisco and Victoria. What is everyone’s thoughts on this itinerary? I’m having second thoughts and final payment is Friday!

Personally I love all those areas and would rather fly to Seattle rent a car and drive. You could take a ferry to San Juan islands as well. I guess it just depends if you would rather cruise.

I don't get too excited about it...because 1) As a West Coaster myself, they are all places I've been to a lot....and, 2) I like more exotic--more foreign--ports...

OTOH...If I could fit it into my schedule, I would take it...just to enjoy the cruise, being on the ship, etc.

But, if you are from out of the area and those ports are interesting to you, then go right ahead...No such thing as a bad cruise (Well, for the most part...but I won't go there :))

I noticed that itinerary--it does seem a little different.

If you can be away a bit longer, cancel that one and book the TA on Azamara Pursuit--leaves Barcelona Nov 6 and so far is pretty close to empty. The ship is still in drydock and this will be its first TA as part of the Aza family.

db

We did this cruise years ago on Princess. It was repositioning from Alaska for the winter. We loved it! We are from the eastern half of the US, so the ports were fun for us. We also liked how port intensive it was. Victoria was lovely! I’d do this again if I could.

We've done two Pacific Coastal cruises -- once in 2008 on the now departed Mercury and then last month on the Infinity. Even though we have been to the ports on prior trips I find this type of itinerary very relaxing and easy-peasy. No need to plan or schedule much ahead (unless you want to visit Alcatraz when in San Francisco).

I prefer the Coastal Itinerary on Infinity that goes down th CA coast.

Have done the Pa Coastal from LA up Cal coast on Infinity and gone north on Mercury..

.prefer the itin on the Infinity ...we did love Victoria...thought Astoria was boring...but that was the 1st time a cruise ship stopped there...maybe it has more to offer now..

On the other hand, Solstice will be a much better ship...

If you want a relaxing get-away and the ship and the ports interest you, then why not? We've done several coastal cruises and loved them, but for us the 'no flying' attraction or at least flying only one way is a big factor. If you're flying from Chicago just for this cruise, I would reconsider unless you're tacking on extra days on one end or the other. We really prefer the longer coastal cruises, such as Celebrity Infinity repositioning cruises each spring and fall.

I like it. The Pacific Coast usually has nice weather in Sept. I like your ports of call ... all stops are in great cities for touring.

I also really like the Solstice. I would actually rather do this sailing than the one that embarks in Vancouver and ends in San Diego.

Go for it or checkout the Pacific Coastal cruise on the Infinity. We did the Pacific Coastal cruise on the infinity September 2017 and doing it again September 2018. 2017 Infinity cruise ended in LA and this year the Infinity cruise will end in San Diego. This will be our fourth time (2015, 2016, 2017 and now 2018) doing the September Pacific Coastal cruise. They are our end of year cruises.

We did a cruise on the NORWEGIAN STAR with this same itinerary a few years back . We loved it. Sailing in and out of Astoria and San Francisco was spectacular. Coming from the southeast, the scenery was exotic enough for us.

Are you asking if you should do this versus another Pacific Coastal, or whether you would enjoy this cruise? Different answers perhaps. I have done 3 Pacific Coastals and absolutely love them. Love your point of embarkation, love the ports you are visiting. You need to be more specific about what is your cause for concern to get really helpful answers.

Thanks for all the responses! We are coming in from Chicago and are also traveling with our young son. We would be adding a day or two in Seattle pre-cruise. Don't like to stay post-cruise. When my cruise is done, so am I!

I'm more wondering if these are enjoyable ports, weather is decent this time of year and seas aren't too rough. And just in general wondering if people have enjoyed these itineraries for any reason in particular.

We are also looking at a cruise to Bermuda on the Anthem of the Seas but DH strongly prefers this itinerary. We have never been to the west coast before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses! We are coming in from Chicago and are also traveling with our young son. We would be adding a day or two in Seattle pre-cruise. Don't like to stay post-cruise. When my cruise is done, so am I!

I'm more wondering if these are enjoyable ports, weather is decent this time of year and seas aren't too rough. And just in general wondering if people have enjoyed these itineraries for any reason in particular.

We are also looking at a cruise to Bermuda on the Anthem of the Seas but DH strongly prefers this itinerary. We have never been to the west coast before.

With that in mind, as a fellow Chicagoan (technically Wheaton) I say keep this cruise. The ports are great and that is a nice time of year to go. Never a guarantee of calm seas but all 3 of ours that time of year were fine.

Tennant - We are also on this cruise. I have to ask... What are your thoughts on the cruise / itinerary? I think you've kinda asked this question before ;) (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2625244) so what's making you second guess your choice. Being from the SouthEast we are looking forward to a unique and cooler itinerary on a ship that we know will provide a good experience. We have been to all of the ports excpt Astoria and are looking forward to exploring the rest more indepth.

Bon Voyage :)

We’ve done a West Coast cruise 6 different times over the years so you can probably guess we love these ports and your cruise sounds great.

Does it send overnight in San Francisci? If so that’s even a bigger plus. You will Dock right at the Embarkadaro which is walking distance of China Town, Littke Italy, the Fushermans Pier and the ferry’s running to Sausalito. You can’t beat any of those venues. We love to do the ferry because it goes right by Alcatraz and we only spend a short while in Sausalito before heading back. Seeing SF from the Bay is fantastic.

I’ll strongly disagree with Astoria being boring. We took a cooking class, a tour of movie sights and other times just wandered. The town has no fast food places and it’s like stepping back into 1960’s. Lovely town.

So with all that said, I’d jump on it. Enjoy Seattle prior to the cruise - la ot to see.

Weather? No idea. Beautiful, rainy, foggy, windy. One of those. I always joked that the Seattlans would tell us how rainy and cold it was all the time. The 1/2 dozen or more times I’ve been there, it rained once. And the rain was a drizzly one that us Floridians wouldn’t even count as an actual rain day.

I never tell others I don’t know what they should do not knowing their tastes, but in this case, I can’t think of many who wouldn’t love this. Others may recommend other itineraries but that’s not what you were asking. And yeah, come join us as I plan 3-4 days in Amsterdam, then a 7 day river cruise to Basel, then train to Munich for 3-4 days then to a family reunion in Czech Rep for my wife. You get the point.

Den

As others have said, check out the Infinity California Coastal. We did this in September 2017, and loved it. Great weather every day. A new port every day - no sea days. Great size ship for this itinerary.

This end-of-season, almost round-trip itinerary serves to relocate the ship from a US port to a Canadian port (in compliance with PVSA requirements for the Hawaii cruise that follows).

In the past, the final Alaska cruise of the season was often used to serve this purpose. But mid to late September is hardly the ideal time for an Alaska cruise, as Celebrity management is well aware.

This new itinerary provides a very nice additional option. It is expected to attract local area residents from both sides of the border because they can easily get to/from the ports on both ends without needing to fly.

I would be tempted to jump on it if I lived close to either the embarkation or debarkation port.

But I would not be willing to fly half way across the country just to take this cruise.

I agree with lovecruzin that the traditional one-way northbound or southbound coastal repositioning cruises are more appealing for most of us who do not live in or near the Seattle or Vancouver areas.

As others have said, check out the Infinity California Coastal. We did this in September 2017, and loved it. Great weather every day. A new port every day - no sea days. Great size ship for this itinerary.

Glad to hear it as we are doing it this year. We do have one sea day but we will look forward to it as we will be jet lagged after our journey from Scotland.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

If you haven't made up your mind yet...ask yourself..."why did I book this cruise in the first place" ? If the reasons are still relevant and factors today...then heck YES, go on the cruise. I think its a nice itinerary, and thats coming from someone who has lived in or visited all of the locations many times. The overnight in SF is extremely appealing, and time in Seattle prior is a good choice. I would make one suggestion, even tho you said you don't like to stay post-cruise, Vancouver is a beautiful and fantastic city, and since you have never been on the West Coast before, a great place to explore for a couple days ! Well worth an extension to your trip.

Couple other factors...not sure how young your son is, but even though this is a short cruise (7 nights), I wouldn't expect that there will be many kids onboard, especially since many of the US schools have just recently started back up. And although I started cruising with Celebrity on the M Class ships and became a huge fan of the "Celebrity Experience", I am a true fan of the S Class ships now. Beautiful ships !

Enjoy...whatever you decide !

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr

How young? On all of our Pacific Coastal cruises we've noticed very,very few kids. Even on our RC Pacific Coastal cruises. We don't have kids so what we do and where we go most likely wouldn't be of interest to a kid. IMO. The ports are all beautiful and offer a lot. But not like the Caribbean where beaches, swimming and snorkeling are huge draws. So that may be a consideration especially if he is a beach person.

Edited by davekathy