buying Silver-Grand Cayman or Cozumel?

ebandit

Grand Cayman primarily offers expensive jewelry. In addition to being less expensive in Cozumel, there is also a much larger selection of silver in Cozumel. However, as user339993 said, be sure to check for the stamp and do not forget to bargain!.

Mexico is definitely the place for silver. There is tons of it. Enjoy shopping for it in Cozumel. Just got back from there and I picked up a pretty pendant to match a bracelet and earrings I bought in Playa Del Carmen last February and I bought a beautiful silver rope necklace that was made in Italy. Everyone is right. Look for the 925 and have a great time bargaining. To give you an example, I think I paid at least 1/3 to 1/2 less than the initial price they gave me on the pendant. There is SO much silver, if you don't think you are getting a good deal, then just walk out and go to the next store. If the seller wants to sell, he/she will chase you out the door lowering the price. Otherwise keep going.

I didn't buy anything in Grand Cayman except rum cakes at Tortugas and I'm glad I didn't leave much money there. It seemed to me the prices were high and the Caymanians didn't really care if you bought or not. Plus, they specialize in gold and watches, not silver.

We got off RCCL's Voyager of the Seas. They have a shopping show where they tell you where all the good deals are. We had a pamphlet for every port. If the ship you are on has a shopping show, I would go.

• 12 years later...
I know this is an old post, but any tips on where you actually got the silver at?

Shops come and go. What was in that place last year might not be there now. But there is sooo much choice. If you are on a ship of the Carnival family of lines, you dock at Puerto Maya. If a ship of the Royal family it will be at the International Pier. Those two are close together, but each has an extensive market area at the end of the pier. It is possible to walk from one to the other. Other lines dock downtown at Punta Langosta. I haven't docked there yet, but will in Feb. on MSC. I don't think there is a market area at the pier, but you are right across the main drag from the downtown shopping area. And if you have the time and energy, and haven't found what you want at the pier, you can take a taxi downtown. EM

This one made me laugh. We took the ferry from Cozumel to the mainland and there were people on board selling necklaces, etc. The prices started out rather high. By the time we got to the mainland they were down to a buck or two.