Mexico safety

WESCOT

Has anyone had issues with safety traveling to Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta? Are the excursions safe.

We stayed at an all inclusive resort a few years ago in the Cabo area. We went on several day excursions purchased at a desk in the hotel. We had a fabulous, fun time!

If you are a first timer:

1. Purchase your excursions from your travel provider.

2. Listen to and adhere to the expectations of the travel provider.

3. Stay with the excursion group.

4. Use common sense when you are out in public with your excursion group.

Happy travels!

Was in all 3 ports this past February on the Oosterdam. No problems whatsoever. There was a heavy police presence, and I didn't stray from the tourist areas which are well protected.

Roz

Like any port / city you visit in the world (even at home) take precautions. Don't wear lanyards -- they advertise that you are a tourist.

Good point KK. I remember reading an article years ago about the top things that make one an obvious tourist. I don't remember the order, but it was Lanyards, new white sneakers and t-shirts with "sayings" on them.

Like any port / city you visit in the world (even at home) take precautions. Don't wear lanyards -- they advertise that you are a tourist.

News flash...you are a tourist and will stick out. You don't need to wear a lanyard to advertise it, everyone knows who the tourists are.

You are so right. We sometimes see posts about people who are very concerned about what to wear in Italy, etc. in order to blend in and look like a local.

Believe me, the locals will know that you are a tourist. Clothing is but one indicator. There are many. And locals become very adept at it.

My sister was told by a bartender n Amsterdam that those in the trade can easily identify Americans who like to pose as Canadian tourists. DS was taken aback by this. The indication, so the bartender said, was that Americans posing as Canadian tourists typically wore much larger maple leaf flag lapel pins than did Canadians.

Besides, the map, the book, the cameras, and the loud talk give it away in an instant.

My sister was told by a bartender n Amsterdam that those in the trade can easily identify Americans who like to pose as Canadian tourists. DS was taken aback by this. The indication, so the bartender said, was that Americans posing as Canadian tourists typically wore much larger maple leaf flag lapel pins than did Canadians.

That's funny. Even in an America town, you can pick out American tourists. They were apparent in my hometown of Key West and they are apparent in my current home of New Orleans. You just carry yourself different when on vacation. There's no hiding it so I say, just embrace it. :D

That said, like anywhere, just be aware of your surroundings, be careful when venturing off the beaten path, try to stay in groups, and don't be a voluntary victim by getting inebriated and losing your normal faculties.

Has anyone had issues with safety traveling to Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta? Are the excursions safe.

We did our own thing in each port and never felt unsafe. Heck the place in LA where we got dinner before the cruise was sketchier than these ports.

Mexico wants the tourists, they will treat you very well.

We cannot speak to most tours, but have lived in Puerto Vallarta (right in the Old Town) for the past 12 winters. We are out and about day and night with absolutely no concerns about safety. However, one should be cautious about drinking too many Margaritas, falling off a sidewalk, and getting hit by a bus :) Like most of the 10s of thousands of Americans and Canadians who live in Mexico we do read about all the safety concerns and generally just roll our eyes. To be very honest, we do feel safer in PV then in most places inside the USA. We would also have no concerns about Cabo.

Hank

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic.

I was at an AI in Mazatlán a few months ago. I went into the city shopping, sightseeing. It seemed like a really beautiful area. I would imagine just normal caution is all you need. Of course, settle on a price before you get into a cab.

In Mexico, unless your skin is somewhat brown and you speak Spanish really well, I can't imagine a tourist passing off as a local. You are a visitor and they are happy you are there, be nice and they will be nice back.

You can find lots of information on each of your ports on this site on the "Port of Call" threads as well as TripAdvisor.

have a great cruise

Matzalan is in Sinaloa, which has a Level 4 State Department warning: Do not travel. Certain areas around and to the airport, city and cruise ship terminals are excepted for government employees.

Other areas have different levels of warning which you can read here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Some posting here have been fine. You’ll have to make your own informed decision.

The state department warnings are for their employees ot the general public. I live in Mexico part-time and there are areas I no longer would travel to, but the majority of the country is just as safe as the US.

The state department warnings are for their employees ot the general public. I live in Mexico part-time and there are areas I no longer would travel to, but the majority of the country is just as safe as the US.

You are incorrect. They are travel warnings for everyone.

Although I've visited all the aforementioned ports and have not necessarily had any bad experiences, and my stays were not as extensive as other posters - sometimes perception is more important than reality. If safety concerns are in someone's head every time they set foot outside, it's going to impact their stay. Just saying.

It can be unsettling to see troops in fatigues carrying rifles on your way for some fun in the sun. While caution s/b taken wherever one travels, there are plenty of warm sunny places where such reminders simply don't exist. Just my opinion, but I factor in this stuff when considering where and how to spend my time and money on vacation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Although I've visited all the aforementioned ports and have not necessarily had any bad experiences, and my stays were not as extensive as other posters - sometimes perception is more important than reality. If safety concerns are in someone's head every time they set foot outside, it's going to impact their stay. Just saying.

It can be unsettling to see troops in fatigues carrying rifles on your way for some fun in the sun. While caution s/b taken wherever one travels, there are plenty of warm sunny places where such reminders simply don't exist. Just my opinion, but I factor in this stuff when considering where and how to spend my time and money on vacation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'll guess then you would not feel safe or secure in New York City, even with its very low crime rate? The visible police and military presence in Times Square, Grand Central, Ground Zero, the airports and cruiseports is overwhelmingly apparent, and the unseen eyes are even more numerous.

Funny, most New Yorkers welcome and admire those who protect us from harm.

We (myself and two female traveling companions) were there in February and felt completely safe. All of our tours were sponsored by the ship. We did walk around near the ports of Cabo and Puerto Vallarta on our own after our tours and still felt completely safe.