Would YOU Do It???

Had a blast on the sailing to Bermuda with DW and the kids, though her and I reminisced a bit on our past trips with formal night dinners, specialty restaurants, and being able to float as we pleased without the kids (trying not to make it sound horrible!).

Anniversary is coming up in September and I wanted to surprise her with a quick trip - just the two of us.

In Laws have no problem watching our boys for an extended weekend (Friday - Monday).

I'm sure we can find some cheap airfare, and I'm having our TA look into it.

The question I have is - has anyone that lived in the Midwest (or far enough away from a port) found it worth a quick 3 night cruise just to get away? (I know that a lot of it is subjective, and it's all on what you want to spend... but I'm still curious about others' input!)

My wife and I are are retired and we do 3/4 day cruises all the time! We look for decent deals and go often! I try to do these short cruises about 8 to 10 times a year. Most of which we do during the off season! No kids and almost never had a problem with booze cruises. Enjoyed them all. After 3 or 4 days I am tired of eating and ready to go home. Take a short cruise you will enjoy it.

It would really depend on the ship and the ports to make just a 3 or 4 day cruise appeal to us. Where we live we are lucky enough to have access to 3 cruise ports but none do anything shorter than 5 nights now. When airfare is involved we have done the the short cruises but as part of a longer vacation that included both extended pre and post cruise hotel stays in attraction heavy areas.

Just as an alternative suggestion could you book a longer cruise like a 5 day that is not immediately around the anniversary date, but present your spouse with the "tickets" to it at a special anniversary dinner instead. The cruise lines don't care if the happy event is actually occurring during the cruise and will help you celebrate it whenever.

As a side note we have a 12 day vacation in Tampa and Orlando for end of Sept to beginning of Oct that includes a 5 day western cruise, and have been watching airfares on Southwest steadily increase to the point they are nearly double what we paid 2 months ago.

Edited by maryred
spelling

Absolutely YES!!

As the wife...I would LOVE to have a quick getaway with DH.

I wouldn't leave the decision as a complete surprise though. Definitely would want to choose and pack my own clothes.

My preference would be for the one port to be Cozumel...if that was a possibility. I absolutely LOVE Nachi Cocum and would definitely get on a ship to go there, even if that was the only port.

Forget the MDR though. Make sure to plan for more romantic dinners than that. Book some specialty or plan on some sexy room service.

Had a blast on the sailing to Bermuda with DW and the kids, though her and I reminisced a bit on our past trips with formal night dinners, specialty restaurants, and being able to float as we pleased without the kids (trying not to make it sound horrible!).

Anniversary is coming up in September and I wanted to surprise her with a quick trip - just the two of us.

In Laws have no problem watching our boys for an extended weekend (Friday - Monday).

I'm sure we can find some cheap airfare, and I'm having our TA look into it.

The question I have is - has anyone that lived in the Midwest (or far enough away from a port) found it worth a quick 3 night cruise just to get away? (I know that a lot of it is subjective, and it's all on what you want to spend... but I'm still curious about others' input!)

You only live once .If you think it is something that she will love and love you for doing it for the rest of your lives I say go for it .

I would do it. But I generally in favor of a trip of any kind. I don't think it would be my first choice though. For a weekend trip I would probably look for something within a couple hours drive. A nice resort or a hotel in the city or something. We used to live in Minneapolis so for a weekend away without the kids was usually Chicago (we would fly) or a drive up north to a resort on a lake. Or a short camping trip in the summer.

My husband and I live near Chicago and have done two 3 night cruises. The first was my birthday present to him because he had always talked about wanting to cruise but wouldn’t actually book anything. The second we wanted to try a different cruise line and decided to go with a quick cruise to test it out.

Both times we had a great time and found it worth it to get away for a bit.

I don't think I would get on a plane for less than a seven day cruise. As it is it takes me a day or so just to settle into ship life and get out of work mode mentality. It would all be over way too fast for me.

I disagree that a short vacation is better than no vacation. If I am going to pack, make my way through airports, taxis, ship check-in, disembarking routines, muster drills, etc., I want enough down time for it to count or I would rather just be at work.

Forget the MDR though. Make sure to plan for more romantic dinners than that. Book some specialty or plan on some sexy room service.

You have no idea how hard I sat and laughed in front of my computer reading this - while trying not to let on why.

Our Stateroom attendant on the Anthem last month was from the Phillipines, and had an odd way of explaining things, and I just read that last portion of your reply in my mind in his voice.

"hiiiiiiiiiiiiii. I have a your sexy room service"

Can you make it a week?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wish we could - but wouldn't do it that long without the kids.

Plus, we just took a week plus for the last trip in June - and her sister is getting married this coming April, so there'll be time taken for that - AND THEN our 8 nighter in July next summer.

We've got some fun loaded in the chamber - just trying to sneak in another bullet!

I don't think I would get on a plane for less than a seven day cruise. As it is it takes me a day or so just to settle into ship life and get out of work mode mentality. It would all be over way too fast for me.

I disagree that a short vacation is better than no vacation. If I am going to pack, make my way through airports, taxis, ship check-in, disembarking routines, muster drills, etc., I want enough down time for it to count or I would rather just be at work.

I agree with you, there's only one day on a 3-night cruise where you're not packing or unpacking. Not worth it to us.

I vote yes. Any vacation is better than no vacation! My last few cruises were short ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. If you want to take her on a cruise just the 2 of you, go for it. My husband surprised me with a short cruise after I recuperated from a surgery. It was wonderful. Even the traveling was fun because it was all a surprise trip. Where do WE live? New England. Where did we cruise out of? Miami. You go and enjoy it [emoji6]

Exactly, I was just talking about this with my TA. We love the way NCL does Bermuda. 7 days and a great deal with free perks and all that. But love RCI ships WAY better, Anthem way better than Escape and hate the Manhattan port and love the Bayonne terminal. I just wish RCI would do 7 day bermuda cruises instead of these too short 5 day ones.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RCI does do 7 night Bermuda cruises. I am going on one in early October out of Boston on Serenade of the Seas! They have 3 or 4 seven night cruises leaving from Boston this Sept-Oct and already a couple more 7 night Bermuda cruises on the schedule leaving from Boston in 2019 as well.

RCI does do 7 night Bermuda cruises. I am going on one in early October out of Boston on Serenade of the Seas! They have 3 or 4 seven night cruises leaving from Boston this Sept-Oct and already a couple more 7 night Bermuda cruises on the schedule leaving from Boston in 2019 as well.

Yeah Anthem does a few 7 days to Bermuda and then up to you in Boston which I LOVE but it's in April. Not a fan of that month going to Bermuda nor Boston.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I would do it. Most moms would really enjoy a couple of days off and total pampering. Go for the specialty restaurants and a really fun excursion.

We just did a three nighter on the Enchantment and though the drive was two hours, it was totally worth it. Packing and unpacking was about 20 minutes each.

Adding the hassle of flights could be an issue. However, we love to travel and just treat it as part of the fun.

I am known for my long vacations, but almost every year we book a trip to watch Tarheel basketball. Sometimes it is the March Madness, but usually it is a thanksgiving tournament. Last year we flew from Midwest to Portland Oregon to go to Phil Knights 80th birthday and to watch PK80. This year we are flying to Vegas to watch the Continental Tire tournament. So, yes, I will fly for a long weekend for a holiday, have never done a cruise that short, but if that was what my DW liked then yes a 3 day holiday to Bermuda, I would be all in.

JC

I agree with you, there's only one day on a 3-night cruise where you're not packing or unpacking. Not worth it to us.

Unpack on day 1 and pack the morning of disembarkation. It's only a 3 day cruise, how much could you possibly have to pack? If it's too much, you over-packed. Even on 7 day cruises, we wake up at 6am, pack, carry our bag off the ship, jump in the car and arrive home by 9am.