Is RCCL still stopping at labadee with all the rioting going on in port-au-prince??

Does anyone know if ships at still stopping at Labadee??????:(
I just started a topic about this too! My feeling is that RCI needs to stop using Labadee and look at developing another island like they did with Coco Cay. It's not a matter of if..... it's a matter of when will something happen.

RCI has done a lot over the years for the people of Haiti including the delivery of humanitarian supplies and the building of a school that serves 9 communities. So yes, I think they should continue to visit.

Unnerving? Try walking through Penn Station everyday with military presence since 911. Manhattan is a death trap with crashing planes, exploding manhole covers, falling cranes, and terrorist attacks. I probably wouldn't even notice the police at Labadee.

Those folks in Penn Station and Grand Central make me feel quite comfortable. The guys in Time Square are walking around with some pretty impressive looking weapons, too. I'm glad to have them around. I have much more confidence in them than I do in the armed guard standing next to the locked gait at Labadee.

Those folks in Penn Station and Grand Central make me feel quite comfortable. The guys in Time Square are walking around with some pretty impressive looking weapons, too. I'm glad to have them around. I have much more confidence in them than I do in the armed guard standing next to the locked gait at Labadee.

Oh I agree. I'm so used to it now that I hardly notice anymore. I guess that's why I wouldn't even bat an eye at any surveillance on a Caribbean Island that is know for rioting. What is happening now at Port Au Prince is nothing new.

:*:*:*:*:*:*

They are also rioting in Cap Haitian which is closer to Labadee in northern Haiti. I have always felt safe in Haiti. However, the US State Department has a level 4 : no go advisory for Haiti. Let’s pray the situation improves soon for the beleaguered people of Haiti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unnerving? Try walking through Penn Station everyday with military presence since 911. Manhattan is a death trap with crashing planes, exploding manhole covers, falling cranes, and terrorist attacks. I probably wouldn't even notice the police at Labadee.

Or try walking from the 42nd St. subway exit underground to Port Authority with the police standing with their sub machine guns.

Aileen

It is. It's a manufactured resort atmosphere in a country that lives in poverty.

Yes. Yes, it is. And it is a country that benefits greatly from Royal Caribbean's presence. As mentioned already in this thread, RC built and supports a school. It brings supplies in on a regular basis. And it provides jobs in a country that has few.

Since Labadee is fenced off, I’ve always felt it was a different world than the rest off Haiti...

Not much of a fence and can easily be breached if serious rioting breaks out. Won't count on those pistol packing rent-a-cop guards either. They will likely run and disappear at the first sign of trouble. And then there are those pesky vendors to deal with. Welcome to paradise Haiti.

Not much of a fence and can easily be breached if serious rioting breaks out. Won't count on those pistol packing rent-a-cop guards either. They will likely run and disappear at the first sign of trouble. And then there are those pesky vendors to deal with. Welcome to paradise Haiti.

I think if that happened the Haitian military would intervene. Not sure how far the city is from Ladabee but I don’t think it is that far. I have been trying to find out any updates and it is kinda quiet. So keeping fingers crossed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a matter of if..... it's a matter of when will something happen.

Royal Caribbean has been going to Labadee since 1986, so 32 years. In that time frame, have you ever read about a robbery, murder, or any type of crime there? And during the same time, how many crimes have been reported in Miami, New York, etc yet people gladly travel to these cities to board a ship without questioning their safety?

Yes, Labadee is a fenced off paradise that does not reflect Haiti’s harsh reality. But so are most all-inclusive resorts in many countries. They are all fenced off resorts completely detached from the reality in the countries where they are located. Yet that doesn’t stop American tourists from flocking to these places.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Or try walking from the 42nd St. subway exit underground to Port Authority with the police standing with their sub machine guns.

Aileen

Port Authority is an experience of it's own for any out of towner. At least in Labadee they offer you merchandise when they ask for your money.

So, evidently no one here knows how to look at a MAP!

Port au Prince is 252km or 156 miles from Labadee. Driving estimates put it at SIX HOURS.

By distance, this is the equivalent of wondering about traveling to Venice Beach in comparison to Tijuana.

By time to travel, this is the equivalent of wondering about traveling to Venice Beach in comparison to Phoenix.

No, the riots in the ghettos of the biggest, poorest city in Haiti will have no bearing on what is going on at a private beach resort hundreds of miles and hours away.

Crime is a problem in Chicago. So I would DEFINITELY be worried about my weekend plans in St. Paul, Minnesota!

Lol

Port Authority is an experience of it's own for any out of towner. At least in Labadee they offer you merchandise when they ask for your money.

The only thing missing from the Labadee merchandise is the "made in China" stamp but you are right, at least you get something in return.

Royal Caribbean has been going to Labadee since 1986, so 32 years. In that time frame, have you ever read about a robbery, murder, or any type of crime there? And during the same time, how many crimes have been reported in Miami, New York, etc yet people gladly travel to these cities to board a ship without questioning their safety?

Yes, Labadee is a fenced off paradise that does not reflect Haiti’s harsh reality. But so are most all-inclusive resorts in many countries. They are all fenced off resorts completely detached from the reality in the countries where they are located. Yet that doesn’t stop American tourists from flocking to these places.

Most all-inclusives don't have fenses, locked gates, and armed guards to keep guests from getting out.

Most all-inclusives don't have fenses, locked gates, and armed guards to keep guests from getting out.

I travel for a living and been to several all inclusive in the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and Mexico in the last few months. Saying that most are fenced off may be a stretch, but the point is that at most, the locals are not allowed in, and many are fenced in with security of various degrees. And they are contained micro cosmos that have little or nothing to do with the reality of the countries in which they are located.

Haiti is one troubled country, with deep political and humanitarian problems. But the concept perpetuated by all inclusive resorts applies in Labadee as well. And the truth is that most tourists don’t care about what’s going on in these countries as long as there’s sun, food, and booze.