Are the Coca-Cola Freestyle Machines coming soon?

I hate using the soda machines in fast food restaurants. People are sloppy when they fill them and the thought of reusable cups makes me squeamish. That's a great way to pass along colds and norovirus. I'd rather stick with cans.

Disney has been using self serve soda machines for years. The new chip ones are even better as the cup has to be placed on the base in order for the soda to come out.

I have used them at Disney, Universal, and SeaWorld. I have not heard of anyone getting sick from a soda dispenser. I would think it's lower than grabbing food from the buffet.

Not saying that they can't keep things as they are but also offer the soda machines as an option, especially when you order the soda package.

Disney has been using self serve soda machines for years. The new chip ones are even better as the cup has to be placed on the base in order for the soda to come out.

I have used them at Disney, Universal, and SeaWorld. I have not heard of anyone getting sick from a soda dispenser. I would think it's lower than grabbing food from the buffet.

Not saying that they can't keep things as they are but also offer the soda machines as an option, especially when you order the soda package.

The idea of having to carry around your own cup all week is not my idea of a good time. It's certainly not a "modern luxury" experience.

That's great if you like flat soda. Cans for me. :)

Just to point out, you are not always given the can on X if you are on the Classic package. Our experience on Reflection in the Med was that you were not permitted the can and the waiter filled your class with soda from already opened cans. Obviously, this also resulted in flat soda as some cans had been sitting on the counter from previous pax before you requested your drink ;). You were only handed a can if you had the Premium package.

Just to point out, you are not always given the can on X if you are on the Classic package. Our experience on Reflection in the Med was that you were not permitted the can and the waiter filled your class with soda from already opened cans... You were only handed a can if you had the Premium package.

Oh the memories...

I wonder if that is still the case on the Reflection ? Would be nice to hear from anybody with recent experience...

The idea of having to carry around your own cup all week is not my idea of a good time. It's certainly not a "modern luxury" experience.

It would in the 50's when everything was bottled and self service drinks were modern technology yet to come - especially freestyle. Celebrity folks want cans I'm ok with that too . I'm just saying that fruit is usually available all hours of the day and at every meal - but I have to hunt down someone to help me get a can of pop. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a bucket of iced pop in your room instead of fruit?

Oh the memories...

I wonder if that is still the case on the Reflection ? Would be nice to hear from anybody with recent experience...

:) Yes, I wonder if it’s changed back now she’s in the Med again. Appears to be a different set-up when she travels back to the US during the winter months....I wonder why :confused::evilsmile:.

:) Yes, I wonder if it’s changed back now she’s in the Med again. Appears to be a different set-up when she travels back to the US during the winter months....I wonder why :confused::evilsmile:.

If that's the case people should escalate and ask why they are being server 'flat soda'. It should only take a few complaints before they see sense.

I'd ask if this is what they mean by 'modern luxury'.

I feel for the bartenders though. Having to put up with disappointed pax due to some moronic decision made by a bean counter in Miami most likely.

It would in the 50's when everything was bottled and self service drinks were modern technology yet to come - especially freestyle. Celebrity folks want cans I'm ok with that too . I'm just saying that fruit is usually available all hours of the day and at every meal - but I have to hunt down someone to help me get a can of pop. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a bucket of iced pop in your room instead of fruit?

Ask your room attendant to empty your minibar then first few trips back to your room take unopened cans back with you. As you use up, at your convenience, simply restock. Your room attendant, on request, will deliver ice twice daily to your room. Lots of guests do this.

Alternatively book a RS or PH and your chiller will be stocked daily with all your favourite sodas, mixers and beers.

We hated those machines on RC...frequently broken, in my opinion not very hygienic and how hard is it to go to the nearest bar and ask?

When you have actually cruised both lines you will be in a much better position to suggest the strengths and weaknesses of each.

I expect a pillar of poison (freestyle machine) when I am forced to eat at McDonalds (I have to be pretty desperate for this to happen!), not on an elegant cruise ship. Please may these behemoths never blaspheme a Celebrity ship!!

Best bet - skip the pop and drink plain, clean, pure, healthful water! Diet pop is as bad, if not actually worse for you, than regular pop.

I just read that you have to go to the bar to get pop on Celebrity. If we're going to pay $9 a day it would be nice to have an easy refill station without flagging someone down or feeling like we owe a tip. Royal Caribbean should add the freestyle machines on all their ships and lines. Why not? Carnival's Bottomless Bubbles program is at least easy to use and only $7.50 per day. Neither of us drink heavy sugar drinks anymore, but I like my Diet Coke and Cindy mostly drinks the fizzy flavored water.

Any of you folks with me on this?

That is great. Are you from upstate NY or Ohio - just wondering because they still call soda pop

I'm all for having the machine. I'm not big on coke but the other products in the machine I do like. The different flavored Vitamin Waters and other no carbonated products I really enjoy .Also just convenience of getting up getting it makes it worthwhile.

This would be an improvement not to mention eco friendly.

Any word when the will be installed on the ships?

Doesn't this look like a modern device on a modern ship?

[ATTACH]425308[/ATTACH]

This looks like the height of tackiness, and one I never want to see on a Celebrity ship. Finding a bar is no more difficult than finding one of these **** machines (that may or may not be functioning). And if you want your minibar stocked daily with your favorite selections of tooth destroyers you can do that now. Simply upgrade to a higher level suite.

I'm still astounded at the gall displayed in posting multiple threads criticizing the way things are done on a cruise line one has yet to set foot on. Most people would at least wait until they actually know what they're talking about.

Ask your room attendant to empty your minibar then first few trips back to your room take unopened cans back with you. As you use up, at your convenience, simply restock.

Exactly what we do and did.

--bruce T.

.....Doesn't this look like a modern device on a modern ship?

]

Maybe on Carnival, or even Royal Caribbean.

“Yes sir, you’ll find the vending machines at the foot of the elegant spiral staircase in the atrium”. Can you say tacky?

BTW, I swore to myself I wouldn’t take the bait, but like a hungry fish, I couldn’t resist.

Edited by richsea

Love these machines with all their choices and much prefer fountain soda to cans and bottles. It’s a great option for those who need avoid sugar like my diabetic husband or want to keep calories in check; there are many more sugar free and calorie free options with these machines than the cruise line offers with canned soda. Hope they get added!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Love these machines with all their choices and much prefer fountain soda to cans and bottles. It’s a great option for those who need avoid sugar like my diabetic husband or want to keep calories in check; there are many more sugar free and calorie free options with these machines than the cruise line offers with canned soda. Hope they get added!

I prefer fountain to cans as well, but in my experience these machines are far more often than not so badly adjusted that the diet coke coming out of them tastes nothing like diet coke should.

Mike

I second that suggestion and would add that perhaps Celebrity is not a cruise line that they should EVER sail on. Their first problem was hamburgers, now this.

WOW!

No I am going to try out Celebrity on September 21st I already have the airfare booked. Some of you folks are going to have to get over the fact that not everything is or will be perfect - constructive criticism from an outsider is the most sincere - along with compliments too. I come from a unique situation having had sailed Carnival for years and looking at what Crystal Cruise Line has to offer. Carnival and Crystal have their pop and burger situation dialed in and Celebrity just has to copy or be in the middle. Folks have dietary needs and want more variety in drinks more than the cans - even Holland America is stepping into the 21st Century.

Edited by Doug & Cindy Scrap Hunter

Exactly. Cindy loves La Croix with all various flavors. She wouldn't drink enough normal club sodas to be worth buying the package. At least with the machine she can get Lime Dasani and other vitamin waters. It doesn't matter as much for me but I like the different Coke flavor shots.

This has been an interesting thread to read as I was in the restaurant industry and have worked with these machines.

I'm not going to quote everyone individually, but I'll try to address the points that stand out.

Wow....nothing about a Freestyle machine says luxury. This is something I would expect to see on a Carnival ship. These machines are more novelty and for the kids. I won't disagree on the fact they offer a lot of flavors and when I find one that has my perfect mix, I'm pretty pleased.

So, I'm sure RC ran some numbers and maybe did a test, but it simply seems like a logistical nightmare to install those machines. For starters, they have to have a water source. So there is plumbing run in behind those machines....if the test fails, now you're capping plumbing, patching walls, and/or replacing paneling.

Next, as far as how they work....I'm sure everyone here has seen the cardboard box with the 5 gallon bag o' syrup. Well, the freestyle machines are all self contained. They have plastic cartridges(so not eco friendly due to much more waste) for the main soda flavors, about the size of a toner cartridge for a laser printer. Then there are all the other mixers...cherry, lime, vanilla, etc.Same concept, much smaller cartridges. One flavor syrup runs out, quite a few drinks become unavailable. The pic of one posted here didn't look to be in a food area...or even a storage area. You could hire one person and their sole job would be to run back and forth to change cartridge flavors.

When I was working with them, they were not for sale. You could only lease...and that came with a $10k refundable deposit. They could only be serviced by a Coca Cola trained serviceman. X would have to have their onboard service team trained by Coke. That's time and money.

I do understand that companies get deals with big contracts. Maybe Coke trains for free. Maybe Coke drastically reduces the deposit.

I've only been on 1 X cruise and I absolutely loved it. I have my 2nd planned and booked. I think back to the areas I was walking through, walking past, areas I would stop to sit and read/relax, and I try to imagine this thing being there. I just can't see it. I guess I can see it in the buffet area, but there's a bar there so you can get soda anyway.

WOW! ... constructive criticism from an outsider is the most sincere - along with compliments too. I come from a unique situation having had sailed Carnival for years ... Folks have dietary needs and want more variety in drinks more than the cans - even Holland America is stepping into the 21st Century.

WOW! How unique that you have sailed Carnival for many years! I guess you are a veritable font of information (none of it canned) about Carnival. Now that you have decided to lower yourself to Celebrity, we all await your constructive criticism, once you have actually sailed a few times with Celebrity and know what you are talking about. But meanwhile, I was really struck by your phrase Folks have dietary needs... I thought this current discussion was about soda/pop or whatever you call the over sweetened bad tasting stuff that many people drink. Which has nothing to do with anybody's dietary needs.

Stan

Constructive criticism can only occur when one has actually had experience with what they're criticizing.

I hate the Freestyle machines in particular because everyone's grimy paws are all over that touch screen. You can often see the film of filth on them. I have yet to see one that has been properly cleaned day-in and day-out. What does RCI do when there's a noro outbreak? X closes off their drink stations and hands people glasses because they don't want contaminated cups spreading germs to everyone else. They also always ask you to fill a clean glass and transfer to any container you bring.