Getting a foot rest in regular veranda cabin?

constantcruiser

We'll be aboard Equinox for 11 days in September in a regular veranda cabin--not Concierge or Aqua. We were offered an upgrade to concierge, but I prefer the midship location we already have. Has anyone had any luck getting a cabin steward to bring them a foot rest if they were in a regular veranda cabin? On some Celebrity cruises, our cabin steward treated our request for a foot rest as if we'd asked for an extra towel and it appeared within a few hours. On other cruises, you would have thought we had asked for the Captain to give us a personal foot rub!

I know you can buy an inflatable foot rest or even use a partially inflated dollar store beach ball...but that's just one more thing to pack.

You can ask & may get one but you are putting the cabin attendant in a difficult position. What are they suppose to do when people in the next cabin see you have a foot stool and want one; they tell the friends they are cruising with who want one and so it goes.

Footstools are one of the real perks of CC so giving to cruisers not in CC devalues the CC category.

You can ask & may get one but you are putting the cabin attendant in a difficult position. What are they suppose to do when people in the next cabin see you have a foot stool and want one; they tell the friends they are cruising with who want one and so it goes.

Footstools are one of the real perks of CC so giving to cruisers not in CC devalues the CC category.

Agree that you’d be putting the stateroom attendant in a difficult position.

We will be cruising with you in September, also in a regular veranda but no such luck as being offered an upgarde... It has never happened to us!?!?

My two cousins sailed for the first time in March and BAM!!! Both were updated to a balcony.... So unfair.... Lol! Just kidding. Happy for them and for all of you who are getting upgrades ;-)

Why put the steward in a position where to follow the rules they have to say "No" ?

Here's an option. Under your bed is a wire basket, with the life preservers in it. Dump the life preservers out, leave them under the bed, flip the basket over, cover it with a pool towel or 2 hold them on the basket with clothes pins, and there's your footstool.

You get a footstool, the steward isn't put into an awkward position, everybody wins.

Here's another way to have a foot stool. One of the square throw pillows can be slid above where the legs come together on the outdoor table. You can cover it with a towel to protect it. It's cushy and comfortable. Although not huge we've been able to successfully share it.

We tried using the metal container as a foot rest, and our cabin steward acted like we had just cut the lines on a lifeboat! He gave us a long lecture about how the metal basket keeps the life jackets from being strewn around the cabin in the event of a storm and all the trouble we'd have finding them in the dark if we had to evacuate.

I understand about it not being fair to the Concierge class passengers. After all that foot rest is really the only thing that separates them from the rest of the veranda passengers. Except for the hundreds of extra dollars they paid!

We tried using the metal container as a foot rest, and our cabin steward acted like we had just cut the lines on a lifeboat! He gave us a long lecture about how the metal basket keeps the life jackets from being strewn around the cabin in the event of a storm and all the trouble we'd have finding them in the dark if we had to evacuate.

I understand about it not being fair to the Concierge class passengers. After all that foot rest is really the only thing that separates them from the rest of the veranda passengers. Except for the hundreds of extra dollars they paid!

There are a few other things that come with Concierge class and on some past cruises we have booked C3 cheaper than some regular balcony cabins. Not everyone pays hundreds extra for Concierge.

Fact: many of us book Concierge only if the cabin location and price are very close to Veranda class, or less than Veranda class. In fact, I paid $40 less for my recent Concierge cabin than I would have done for a similarly located Veranda cabin. If you’re familiar with the fluctuations of cabin prices, you’ll know how frequently such opportunities occur. And yes, we did enjoy our footstools very much indeed, but when we had a Veranda cabin, we didn’t drag settee cushions or life vest paraphernalia onto the veranda.

Edited by Silkroad

On our next we are in C2. Will X let us dine in Luminae? Who do I ask? LOL X is full of pikers who want the extras for lower price. Read want you paid for and be happy.

Exactly:') Hahahaha it didn’t occur to me to ask to dine in Blu or Luminae!

Why put the steward in a position where to follow the rules they have to say "No" ?

Here's an option. Under your bed is a wire basket, with the life preservers in it. Dump the life preservers out, leave them under the bed, flip the basket over, cover it with a pool towel or 2 hold them on the basket with clothes pins, and there's your footstool.

You get a footstool, the steward isn't put into an awkward position, everybody wins.

Or, just use the life preservers for foot stools, which I have done.

Return them in the evening so the steward does not get concerned.

Groundhog Day :D. If I had a dollar for every time this is asked, I’d have enough for a cruise ;p. Do a search, OP, and you will find this is asked frequently. Thing is, if everyone asks that posts, then where is the steward going to find all these extra footstools from?

Use the desk chair, garbage pail etc...if you are not entitled to a perk you really should not request it.....makes it hard on your attendant if discovered. They are responsible for the inventory,

unless u have a real need like an injury requiring u to elevate the leg., then the med staff would try to arrange something..

A large, partially inflated beach ball is a more comfortable footrest than the footrests provided by the ship because you can make them as soft or as firm as you like, to suit your personal preference.

They don't roll if you don't fully inflate them.

Also, it is easy to pick up and bring inside to serve double-duty as an indoor foot rest while reading or watching TV.

Before inflating, it packs flat in the suitcase, taking up almost no space at all.

They are inexpensive enough that we don't bother to deflate ours at the end of the cruise, but leave it behind and bring a new one the next time.

Some examples:

Swimline Classic Beach Ball:

Jumbo Inflatable 42" Giant Beach Ball

Edited by varoo

I am also one that feels strongly that it is just wrong to ask for something not normally included in your cabin category (assuming there are no medical issues or similar). I don't abide by the notion that it doesn't hurt to ask. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I guess I just feel that what's fair is fair. If you pay extra for something, then it is not fair for the ship's personnel to give it to others who don't pay extra. Nor is it fair to put your room steward in an awkward situation by doing so. And if given to you, then what about the next person who asks, and the next. Footstools are one of the joys of booking (and paying for) higher level cabins. If you really need a footstool and don't want to improvise, then book CC or above. (and on M class ships, Sky Suite or above)

Sorry, I didn't mean to churn the waters. The first few times we asked, we honestly did not know Celebrity doesn't automatically supply foot rests in regular veranda cabins as some other cruiselines do. And when we mentioned it to the stewards, they acted like it was a simple request and brought one the following morning. I've even seen stewards carrying full-size loungers from the pool onto cabin balconies. It's only been our last couple of cruises when the stewards reacted like we had asked for their firstborn children.

I felt it was kind of like ice buckets....if you don't ask for one, you don't get it. But it's never been a problem when we have.

Several years ago when we sailed with our teen-age daughters, we left notes asking for simple things like extra hangers or another box of Kleenex. We clipped a few dollars onto each note, and every night the note and cash was missing but we never got any of the things we requested. So we started making it into a game. Every day left a bigger tip and asked for sillier things--like a towel animal made to look like the Captain, and finally to change every light bulb in our cabin to blue! Of course, none of these things ever happened, but our notes and tips were always taken. When we got home we were still thinking of things we could ask for next time...maybe a grand piano!

Groundhog Day :D. If I had a dollar for every time this is asked, I’d have enough for a cruise ;p. Do a search, OP, and you will find this is asked frequently. Thing is, if everyone asks that posts, then where is the steward going to find all these extra footstools from?

Exactly! Nuff said!

Phil