Infinite Verandas - Who Knew?

vtcruising

From what I can remember on the Eclipse, wasn't there a cupboard door to the right of the drawers that opened to reveal a top section with the safe and the mini fridge underneath - we were in aqua class not a suite, I don't know if that makes a difference?There was a make-up drawer under the vanity unit.

P1030633-XL.jpg

I just assumed the set up would be the same on the edge, but having the safe in the closet would be more convenient :)

That's a nice set up...too bad EDGE looks like it will offer less storage and counter space.,

I don't recall... I would try Special needs. She really specified doing this when booking. I asked what about now, months in advance, and she indicated that yes now would be th time. They have limited supplies of some items, so the earlier you notify them the better.

From what I can remember on Eclipse, wasn't there a cupboard door to the right of the drawers that opened to reveal a top section with the safe and the mini fridge underneath - we were in aqua class not a suite, I don't know if that makes a difference?There was a make-up drawer under the vanity unit.

P1030633-XL.jpg

I just assumed the set up would be the same on the edge, but having the safe in the closet would be more convenient :)

Thanks for the photo and the clarification. 😊

I must admit the two times we sailed on Eclipse we were in a suite where the safes are in the closet. I would hope that X would place them in the closets on the Edge. Every bit of storage space is precious!

I think we have had the safe in closet and also in the "dresser" over the years....can't recall if M and S Class differed..I remember there was a design change somewhere along the line..

I will call Celeb Cruise rep or Cap Club and Special needs to make sure my file is properly noted about the mattress. Shoreside and the Ship often do not communucate well.....

Okay, I finally got the definitive answer about the window shade. Using facebook messenger I asked the question "on Edge, will the Infinite Veranda cabins have a black out shade that is controlled by a button OR does the cabin have 'smart glass' which turns opaque at the touch of a button?" After a bit they confirmed that the windows use 'smart glass'. I am surprised that they are investing in that technology... definitely different than what was on the Connie's sample IV cabin. Of course this raises the questions: How dark is dark? Also can level of opacity be adjusted... in other words can you just keep the glare down and still see out? Etc. I think this is way cool.

Okay, I finally got the definitive answer about the window shade. Using facebook messenger I asked the question "on Edge, will the Infinite Veranda cabins have a black out shade that is controlled by a button OR does the cabin have 'smart glass' which turns opaque at the touch of a button?" After a bit they confirmed that the windows use 'smart glass'. I am surprised that they are investing in that technology... udefinitely different than what was on the Connie's sample IV cabin. Of course this raises the questions: How dark is dark? Also can level of opacity be adjusted... in other words can you just keep the glare down and still see out? Etc. I think this is way cool.

That technology is already in place on the Reflection. 😊

In the bathroom of the Signature suites there is a glass wall on one side of the bathtub/shower which becomes opaque when you push a button. It does not become “dark”, but allows for privacy. The level of opacity can not be adjusted. It is very cool... 😁

We had a similar hotel room a few years ago, but for some reason I just did not think they would go this far on such a large ship... of course now from what VT reports... the ceilings will be interesting as well... so why skimp on the windows.... The Celebrity person also noted that there will be no curtains on the stage either... I know it would be difficult with a stage in the round... but I wonder if there is some electronic curtain involved.... I can't wait to see

We had a similar hotel room a few years ago, but for some reason I just did not think they would go this far on such a large ship... of course now from what VT reports... the ceilings will be interesting as well... so why skimp on the windows.... The Celebrity person also noted that there will be no curtains on the stage either... I know it would be difficult with a stage in the round... but I wonder if there is some electronic curtain involved.... I can't wait to see

Now you know why it costs so much more to go on the Edge! We need to pay for the technology!

I was reviewing the Edge FAQs and found these questions answered about the Infinite Veranda (IV). Number 65 is interesting - I had forgotten that the Captain can remotely close your IV window! :D

Question #66 is interesting for those who have kids in an IV.

65. WHAT IS THE SIZE OF THE OPERABLE WINDOW? HOW WILL I OPEN IT?

• The window is 2.3m W X 2m H. (7’-6 1/2” Ft W X 6’-6 3/4” H)

• The window is divided into two panels horizontally, with the upper panel lowering outboard in front of the lower panel. The lower panel of the window is fixed at balcony height. The window is electronically operated by the push of a button located near the window and can be closed from the bridge during inclement weather.

66. WILL THE HEIGHT OF THE OPERABLE WINDOW BE RESTRICTIVE TO ENSURE CHILDREN ARE SAFE?

The Infinite window height is the same height as a veranda. We have restricted children from operating the window by placing the button at a child safe height. There is also a child safety lock that can prevent the window from being operated.

Based on the video on the web site, the bottom half appears open until the top half closes. Must be an optical issue, as that would be extremely unsafe.

Thanks for the info

Sounds like extra technology...which may or may not add anything to the cruise experience....esp if the switches can wear out...

We would like the balc window open when we are in the cabin..and closed at night...Not sure how this would affect AC...Do inside fold doors have to be closed like slider balc doors when we are out there to keep inside cool?

Drapes/ curtains soften sound and look nice. Very spartan look without drapes..I assume no carpetting either? And who needs somethng like petite chef on my ceiling !

No choice on having an Infinite balc if we want to book AQ again on EDGE.

We will have to see for ourselves. I have to agree that it does look spartan and so clean that it is not very inviting... almost clinical. There was something about Eden and some of the other areas that kinda bugged me... it reminded me of something but I could not place it. Recently I watched some old 60s Doris Day/Rock Hudson movies... and it dawned on me that some of the Edge design looked like that 60s look. Also kinda reminds me of Forbidden Planet. Of course for young people this is a new look... I think it looked to me a bit old... like avacado colored appliances we had in our first home.... only to be replaced by harvest gold a few years later.... both colors I never liked. But we will see... I think the technology additions will help freshen the look... just hope it is not to gimmicky. As I have noted before I feel a bit conflicted on it... excited but somewhat skeptical

We will have to see for ourselves. I have to agree that it does look spartan and so clean that it is not very inviting... almost clinical. There was something about Eden and some of the other areas that kinda bugged me... it reminded me of something but I could not place it. Recently I watched some old 60s Doris Day/Rock Hudson movies... and it dawned on me that some of the Edge design looked like that 60s look. Also kinda reminds me of Forbidden Planet. Of course for young people this is a new look... I think it looked to me a bit old... like avacado colored appliances we had in our first home.... only to be replaced by harvest gold a few years later.... both colors I never liked. But we will see... I think the technology additions will help freshen the look... just hope it is not to gimmicky. As I have noted before I feel a bit conflicted on it... excited but somewhat skeptical

That would make a good Edge thread, kearney: "Excited, but Somewhat Skeptical" ;)

I think it describes what many of us feel about some things on the Edge. :D

VT, what do you think they could be projecting or what ever, on the ceiling? I was thinking that perhaps cabin number, as you approach with your smart phone? Or other directions... like "theater this way". Kinda a gps on the ship? Interesting to speculate.

Okay, I just went on facebook and found a message from Celebrity. Now I told all you that they specifically told me the IV had 'smart glass'. As a side note I also tweeted them and got the same response "Smart Glass". Well here is what I am now being told "... I went on to double check for you since we don't have much information out yet on the glass. They explain only the Reflection suite has that type of glass for the glass showers exposed to the exterior, and It's a shade that comes down on the infinite veranda for the staterooms. Sorry for the confusion. More to come.". So it appears that the IV do in fact have a shade.... not smart glass.. I too am sorry for the confusion....

Okay, I just went on facebook and found a message from Celebrity. Now I told all you that they specifically told me the IV had 'smart glass'. As a side note I also tweeted them and got the same response "Smart Glass". Well here is what I am now being told "... I went on to double check for you since we don't have much information out yet on the glass. They explain only the Reflection suite has that type of glass for the glass showers exposed to the exterior, and It's a shade that comes down on the infinite veranda for the staterooms. Sorry for the confusion. More to come.". So it appears that the IV do in fact have a shade.... not smart glass.. I too am sorry for the confusion....

If there is a shade on the IV wouldn't the top half of the glass have to be down in order to lower the shade otherwise it would blow around with the wind and movement of the ship and also get wet if it rains?:confused: If so, then you wouldn't be able to darken the room for a daytime nap and have some fresh air. Wonder what kind of material it would be made of.

Carole

If there is a blackout shade, it would be logical to locate it on the cabin side of the bi-fold door track. This would permit the cabin to be dark, while allowing sunlight on the "balcony" side of the bi-fold doors.

If there is a blackout shade, it would be logical to locate it on the cabin side of the bi-fold door track. This would permit the cabin to be dark, while allowing sunlight on the "balcony" side of the bi-fold doors.

That does make sense but I can't seem to find any information that it's where the shade would be placed and also no renderings and what it will look like. They sure are keeping us in the dark.;p

Carole

From the various photos posted and videos on YouTube it appears to be an electric shade, on a track, located just inside the infinite verandah window unit. I would assume it cannot be down when the infinite verandah lowered, nor can the Infinite verandah be lowered when the shade is down.

I personally think this is a very poor design choice for many reasons, not the least of which is the cabin cannot be kept in any state of darkness or privacy when the infinite verandah is down an in use as a "balcony" space. I also forsee the shades getting stuck, ripped, dented, etc and making the entire system less than reliable. Maybe I will be proven wrong, but I still think it was a poor choice

I haven’t been following this entire thread, but the issue of a dark SR has come up and it looks as if there are darkening shades. Sounds useful. So why would there be a concern about using it to darken the SR with the Veranda open? I’d think the use of the shade is for sleep or privacy. In the standard Veranda, I’d close up the veranda and close the curtains. Why would I close the curtain and leave the Balcony sliding door open. Not very handy. For the Infinite Veranda, why would I leave the balcony open and lower the shade?

I don’t mean this a some cheap shot on someone’s legit concern. Am I missing something?

Den

Oville will be in an IV on Nov 27th and will likely report back on the IV functions. 92 more days!! :D

Though I understand the concerns, I personally have faith that Celebrity will work hard to have something that functions well since 69% of the Edge cabins will have IV's. If these cabins are reviled, the Edge and the Apex are sunk (so to speak ;)).

And if you don't like the IV's, you can go to my port side shop and pick up one of my specially designed blow up traditional balconies that are created to fit perfectly into the infinite veranda opening (curtains and rods are extra). ;)

Edited by vtcruising

Consider a couple - one early riser who loves a cup of coffee on the balcony to greet the sun. The other loves to sleep late. Easy with the regular balcony - open the curtains slightly, open the door...close the drape and door. Everybody is happy. The problem the previous poster is suggesting is that descriptions and videos he has seen suggest the black-out curtain is next to the infinite window, not back on the cabin side of the bi-fold doors. That odd placement would require the black-out curtain to be raised entirely to see the sunrise and enjoy the morning salt breeze. One partner would be really pissed :mad: Let's hope they have thought this through and place the black-out curtain in the correct location.

Oville will be in an IV on Nov 27th and will likely report back on the IV functions. 92 more days!! :D

I personally have faith that Celebrity will work hard to have something that functions well since 69% of the Edge cabins will have IV's. If these cabins are reviled, the Edge and the Apex are sunk (so to speak ;)).

And if you don't like the IV's, you can go to my port side shop and pick up one of my specially designed blow up traditional balconies that are created to fit perfectly into the infinite veranda opening (curtains and rods are extra). ;)

Hi, indeed we will be and more than happy to report back. It won’t be a big issue for us as we go to bed at the same time and head off to breakfast together. For sure, we are not coffee drinkers nor does one of us feel the need to get up early to see the sunrise.;)

.........nor does one of us feel the need to get up early to see the sunrise.;)

Sunrise? What’s a sunrise?? Since I retired, I’ve only seen the Sun about half way up from the horizon. I thought that’s where it starts. Oh well, you learn so much on these threads.

Den

Sunrise? What’s a sunrise?? Since I retired, I’ve only seen the Sun about half way up from the horizon. I thought that’s where it starts. Oh well, you learn so much on these threads.

Den

LOL - can't wait to get there! :D

Consider a couple - one early riser who loves a cup of coffee on the balcony to greet the sun. The other loves to sleep late. Easy with the regular balcony - open the curtains slightly, open the door...close the drape and door. Everybody is happy. The problem the previous poster is suggesting is that descriptions and videos he has seen suggest the black-out curtain is next to the infinite window, not back on the cabin side of the bi-fold doors. That odd placement would require the black-out curtain to be raised entirely to see the sunrise and enjoy the morning salt breeze. One partner would be really pissed :mad: Let's hope they have thought this through and place the black-out curtain in the correct location.

I do rise before my DH and like to go out on the balcony to read and check email so can see the potential issue (if not figured out before the first cruises, I would think they would put up some curtains soon after the backlash).

I don't get up early to greet the sun, but do like some caffeine.

enhance