Shirt Button Came Off

zorrosuncle

Hi -- Can my cabin person take care of a missing button on my shirt? They shine my shoes, and once they repaired a piece of luggage, but I wonder if they handle this? How would I arrange this?

ZU

Many times there is a spare button on the shirt hem of the shirt.

Pack a sewing kit. If you have the button, you can sew it back on.

I do this all the time, but the HAL laundry people probably do, too. I would send a small tip to them for doing this. Having had an intensive tour of the laundry I know they have a lot of work to do on a ongoing basis and would have to fit this small job into their time frame.

I sew mine on too and my husband would do a good job as well.

We try to cope on our own, as we know how busy the cabin stewards are.

Sandra

Cabin stewards probably CAN take care of getting a button replaced. But the bigger question is why would anyone ask him to? I've never heard of that kind of tailoring service on the ships. It could be that I sail in steerage cabins not suites, but still. Putting on a button is a pretty quick task and most travel sewing kits I've seen come with pre-threaded needles which make it even easier.

Cabin stewards probably CAN take care of getting a button replaced. But the bigger question is why would anyone ask him to? I've never heard of that kind of tailoring service on the ships. It could be that I sail in steerage cabins not suites, but still. Putting on a button is a pretty quick task and most travel sewing kits I've seen come with pre-threaded needles which make it even easier.

Two reasons come to mind immediately. A vision problem, or hand tremors.

Yes, the Housekeeping Department probably can solve such a crisis. But, why would a traveler not travel with a small sewing kit to solve such an issue? I always travel with some duct tape and that has "saved my bacon" more than once!

What a great opportunity for you to learn ho w to sew a button. I have to think this is not gthe first button you have lost through the years. It's an easy task and good to learn.

What a great opportunity for you to learn ho w to sew a button. I have to think this is not gthe first button you have lost through the years. It's an easy task and good to learn.

Unless you have 10 fingers who are "thumbs" and "my God, will I ever get the thread through the hole in the needle".:)

Personally I would take it to the Front Desk so that the cabin steward doesn’t get stuck doing it or even being in charge of it. The Front Desk is better equipped with filling out the paperwork to make sure it gets back to you. Yes, I sew on buttons myself but if someone is not able to, I would take it to the Front Desk.

I took soft-sided luggage with a ripped strap on it to the Front Desk and it was returned to me in two days good as new. It was something I was not going to be able to fix without a machine.

I've had a rash of button issues of late and usually manage to sew them back on with a travel sewing kit I got on a river cruise. Crew has come to the rescue many times over the years with emergency repairs to shoes, wheelchairs, and most recently the leather strap on my friends purse. Those were thanks to someone in the upholstery shop and a carpenter. Its amazing what a wide range of skills make up a crew compliment.

Many ships have tailoring departments right on the ship that are there to tailor the uniforms of the crew and officers. We have seen these people and their tailoring department on two different ships. Sewing a button back on is trivial. Just ask.

Many ships have tailoring departments right on the ship that are there to tailor the uniforms of the crew and officers. We have seen these people and their tailoring department on two different ships. Sewing a button back on is trivial. Just ask.

The tailoring shop is first class on HAL Rows of racks of work completed and to be completed. A busy shop! They could certainly do repairs, but again, a tip would be welcomed.

I always travel with one of the small sewing kits that they used to provide in hotels. Very handy, and I can sew a button on in less time than it would take me to go to the tailor shop, front desk, etc.. One of those things I learned as a kid that never left me. :)

Two reasons come to mind immediately. A vision problem, or hand tremors.

Add arthritis and injury to the list.

I'm sure it's easy to come up with several reasons someone couldn't sew a button on for themselves.

I bought a sewing kit at the dollar store to take on our cruises, comes with that handy dandy threader to help put the thread through the sewing needles.

I bought a sewing kit at the dollar store to take on our cruises, comes with that handy dandy threader to help put the thread through the sewing needles.

The last couple I bought have had pre-threaded needles. Now I specifically look for that kind.