Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

35 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Sad news.  We have lost our beloved Queen.

YES, very sad news!  She was a total "class act" who was so hard-working, wise and dedicated to her country, people and family.  

THANKS!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

In case non_brits haven’t picked up this news, The Palace has just announced that doctors are concerned about the Queen’s health.  Terrible news that will worry many. 

So very sad, she has passed. This American loved her. 😪

• Like 2

There is an old American saying, "You don't miss your water 'til your well runs dry."  A lot of people on both sides of the Atlantic, & elsewhere in the world, will be missing the presence of this quiet, remarkable woman.  Yes, she was a carryover from times of the British Empire, and critics can certainly make some hay regarding the British role during those times (when many other European countries were establishing wide-flung empires, with all that goes with that).  However, setting all that aside - she was not responsible for policies and actions that predated her ascension to being Queen.  As a somewhat disinterested observer, (born in the year she became queen), I didn't have to be an authority in world history to see that this capable young woman - called to serve as an accident of birth - fully rose to the occasion, and aged into a highly respected member of the world community.  In the many decades since, while the world was awash in stormy seas of war, revolution and an ever-increasing lack of civility, she has been a bastion of steady statespersonship, and the embodiment of common decency.  No, you won't see her equal anytime soon.  We all knew she wasn't long for this world, but I join all her subjects and fans around the world in saluting her long years of service to her country, and wishing her family and country the best during a sad time.  Hail Britannia!!  

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

There is an old American saying, "You don't miss your water 'til your well runs dry."  A lot of people on both sides of the Atlantic, & elsewhere in the world, will be missing the presence of this quiet, remarkable woman.  Yes, she was a carryover from times of the British Empire, and critics can certainly make some hay regarding the British role during those times (when many other European countries were establishing wide-flung empires, with all that goes with that).  However, setting all that aside - she was not responsible for policies and actions that predated her ascension to being Queen.  As a somewhat disinterested observer, (born in the year she became queen), I didn't have to be an authority in world history to see that this capable young woman - called to serve as an accident of birth - fully rose to the occasion, and aged into a highly respected member of the world community.  In the many decades since, while the world was awash in stormy seas of war, revolution and an ever-increasing lack of civility, she has been a bastion of steady statespersonship, and the embodiment of common decency.  No, you won't see her equal anytime soon.  We all knew she wasn't long for this world, but I join all her subjects and fans around the world in saluting her long years of service to her country, and wishing her family and country the best during a sad time.  Hail Britannia!!  

WWFT,  your post is beautiful!  Speaks perfectly to the reign of an amazing woman!  🥰

• Like 1

I differ in a very very slight hue about our wonderful lady.

In a way, ..... well my way of thinking at least, she was the first post-colonial, post-empire monarch who cemented all of the angst of those days into a commonality.  Perhaps one of her most important legacies has been the way in the which she moved on from those times without ever really mentioning them and cemented the extraordinary variety of different nations of Colony and Empire of what is  - let us not forget-  today a third of the whole world's population into The Commonwealth. Let us dwell for a moment.  A third of the whole world's population. Many of these peoples were from those earlier not unblemished and sometimes divisive and painful regimes that we often made so much worst but she managed to generate from scratch  the commonality of harmony that made people see and believe and agree that all ordinary people have so much more in common than they do have as differences even when we are all are so, so different.  The commonwealth is perhaps her very greatest gift to so many and therefore perhaps her greatest legacy.

Those who are anti-monarchist have tended to say "Well I'd be Queen and do her job if I could lead her lifestyle" but I think we should just remind ourselves that she was born into that lifestyle and was enjoying it without any of the downsides and it was all a perfectly normal life for her that she would have preferred to see go on uninterrupted and changed.  She really didn't receive much of a lifestyle upgrade when under the most upsetting of circumstances she was forced into a role she never expected or wanted to have.  And has she ever really put a foot wrong?  Some people say she handled Diana wrongly but not everyone agrees with that.  Some feel that in the pre-Meghan days she was alarmed by things as she saw them and she certainly observed things in closer proximity than any of the rest of us. And she didn't want to be hypocritical. And on every barb then and since, "she never explained and never complained" and had an extraordinary knack of always doing the right thing.

Some also think of things in a rather black or white way.  Republicanism or a monarchy?  That is the choice.  But in a way I have always felt we have both.  We have an odd and fragile at times bewildering democracy and we have had in my opinion the most experienced states-woman of all time to advise and listen to our leaders.  And who wouldn't listen.  I have always believed that  subtle difference between some nations that many will disagree with is that there is some important subtly differences between nationalism where it is claimed that criticism of one's political leaders is unpatriotic  or as I have always believed the opposite is true in that true patriots will always be critical and take the #@&$ out of their democratic leaders.  I think in an odd way that I cannot explain or justify to others is that I feel having both a monarch and a democracy enables you to feel that subtle difference more clearly.  We have had a permanency of our queen in our daily lives who quietly cements a third of the world and at the same time who has inducted and seen fourteen leaders ( .... count up to fourteen slowly .....) come and go who we can viably treat as temporary.   Whe really loves a temporary President or Prime Minister?  There's a difference between temporary relationships and the reassurance of permanent ones.

Anyway as usual I ramble on aimlessly and I want to thank those who post and those who might not and simply quietly think and contemplate for sharing any fondness they might express or feel about the passing of this unique person who I believe has been the most important head of state, perhaps of all time. She will not be replaced in our lifetime.

RIP x

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I differ in a very very slight hue about our wonderful lady.

In a way, ..... well my way of thinking at least, she was the first post-colonial, post-empire monarch who cemented all of the angst of those days into a commonality.  Perhaps one of her most important legacies has been the way in the which she moved on from those times without ever really mentioning them and cemented the extraordinary variety of different nations of Colony and Empire of what is  - let us not forget-  today a third of the whole world's population into The Commonwealth. Let us dwell for a moment.  A third of the whole world's population. Many of these peoples were from those earlier not unblemished and sometimes divisive and painful regimes that we often made so much worst but she managed to generate from scratch  the commonality of harmony that made people see and believe and agree that all ordinary people have so much more in common than they do have as differences even when we are all are so, so different.  The commonwealth is perhaps her very greatest gift to so many and therefore perhaps her greatest legacy.

Those who are anti-monarchist have tended to say "Well I'd be Queen and do her job if I could lead her lifestyle" but I think we should just remind ourselves that she was born into that lifestyle and was enjoying it without any of the downsides and it was all a perfectly normal life for her that she would have preferred to see go on uninterrupted and changed.  She really didn't receive much of a lifestyle upgrade when under the most upsetting of circumstances she was forced into a role she never expected or wanted to have.  And has she ever really put a foot wrong?  Some people say she handled Diana wrongly but not everyone agrees with that.  Some feel that in the pre-Meghan days she was alarmed by things as she saw them and she certainly observed things in closer proximity than any of the rest of us. And she didn't want to be hypocritical. And on every barb then and since, "she never explained and never complained" and had an extraordinary knack of always doing the right thing.

Some also think of things in a rather black or white way.  Republicanism or a monarchy?  That is the choice.  But in a way I have always felt we have both.  We have an odd and fragile at times bewildering democracy and we have had in my opinion the most experienced states-woman of all time to advise and listen to our leaders.  And who wouldn't listen.  I have always believed that  subtle difference between some nations that many will disagree with is that there is some important subtly differences between nationalism where it is claimed that criticism of one's political leaders is unpatriotic  or as I have always believed the opposite is true in that true patriots will always be critical and take the #@&$ out of their democratic leaders.  I think in an odd way that I cannot explain or justify to others is that I feel having both a monarch and a democracy enables you to feel that subtle difference more clearly.  We have had a permanency of our queen in our daily lives who quietly cements a third of the world and at the same time who has inducted and seen fourteen leaders ( .... count up to fourteen slowly .....) come and go who we can viably treat as temporary.   Whe really loves a temporary President or Prime Minister?  There's a difference between temporary relationships and the reassurance of permanent ones.

Anyway as usual I ramble on aimlessly and I want to thank those who post and those who might not and simply quietly think and contemplate for sharing any fondness they might express or feel about the passing of this unique person who I believe has been the most important head of state, perhaps of all time. She will not be replaced in our lifetime.

RIP x

Beautiful!

• Like 1

I have just watched King Charles III drive from Northolt Airport to Buckingham Palace and a marvellous welcome and outpouring of emotion.  Seeing that wonderful maroon Rolls-Royce Phantom VI reminded me of the two occasions when I came close to the Queen.  The first was when I was in the audience at a Royal Variety Performance at the London Palladium and could just look across and up at her in the Royal box.  The second occasion was rather more special.  

My wife and I had just had dinner in Knightsbridge at the Berkeley Hotel.  This would have been in the mid-80s I think.  We were walking towards Hyde Park Corner Tube station when a policeman asked us to stop where we were.  There was an American tourist couple just behind us.  A few seconds later this huge car drove up and stopped right in front of us.  Inside, fully lit, was The Queen and Prince Philip.  She was on our side and was so close I could have touched her.  She looked incredible, swathed in some sort of white feathery wrap, glittering with jewels.  She smiled radiantly at us.  It was a scene out of a fairy-tale.I learned later that she often went out at night, cruising around like this, giving people a little frisson.  

One other thing . . . I know dress code often comes up in Silversea forums.  I am wise enough not to contribute to these debates.  But below is a photo of me wearing a dark blue velvet dinner suit by Yves Saint Laurent.  The year was 1983.  It was the first and last time I ever wore evening dress.  I am the man in the middle of the photo.  Can't remember who the other two geezers were.

DSC_0007.jpg

God Save The King!

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Years and years ago-- early 70s - DH and I were in Scotland near the railroad station.  We saw a beautiful black train on the tracks -- THE ROYAL TRAIN.  We asked the guard what gives?  About that time a Bentley drove up right past us, could have reached out to touch her. She was with a lady in waiting on the other side.  I do remember her complexion was radiant.  My DH said "She looks just like the stamps."

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Her Majesty gave it all, really she gave it all. She just wore out. When you see the photo of her on Tuesday, wearing her kilt and cardigan and carrying her obligatory handbag, its poignant. Her smile, her coiffed hair and perfectly pink lipstick belies the serious health issues. You can see the deep purple bruise on her hand, yet she extends her hand graciously.

Amazing run, and an amazing woman. 

May her memory be eternal. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Her Majesty gave it all, really she gave it all. She just wore out. When you see the photo of her on Tuesday, wearing her kilt and cardigan and carrying her obligatory handbag, its poignant. Her smile, her coiffed hair and perfectly pink lipstick belies the serious health issues. You can see the deep purple bruise on her hand, yet she extends her hand graciously.

Amazing run, and an amazing woman. 

May her memory be eternal. 

She knew she had to do that one last service, so that the country wasn't left without a government.  A fitting end to a life devoted to duty!  God bless the Queen.

• Like 4

So many beautiful and enlightening posts here.  I fear I can only dilute your thoughts and feelings.  But post anyway even if the wine glass is now empty.

My grandparents came from the Netherlands on my mother's side, Mom's parents both Americans of Dutch descent.  Similarly on my father's side, but Norway, not Netherlands, and the "purity" a bit clouded by a divorce far enough back in time it was considered shameful & so not discussed.

So, no English blood (most likely).  Yet, England holds sway over my intellect, my sense of justice and fairness, my love for rights earned many years ago by Englishmen and women, my tongue, and at times like this, my heart.

So I wanted to say this - there is no doubt in my mind that the British will carry on.  New PM, new King, and now I learn here even the BBC is a bit wobbly - but I know you Brits (yes Jeff, Yanks ok even for us Southerners) - will carry on. 

I can think of no higher compliment for a nation and its culture.  Your late Queen is mourned. 

• Like 4

Although I hail from the colonies- yes I am still told that in some places here in the Old Dart by Pommies- I grew up in a family and country that in those days was British to their boot heels. When I first went to school we always began with God Save the King -yes my birth pre dated the Queens ascension. We then sang one or two songs such as Rule Britannia, There'll Always be an England or Britannia Rules the Waves. Even more British than the British.

So the Royal Family was important to us. Some of my family made the 6 week journey by ship to be there for the Coronation. So it is fitting that I and one of my sisters will be in England for the funeral. The Queen was much loved and respected by us.

Long Live the King.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, drron29 said:

Although I hail from the colonies- yes I am still told that in some places here in the Old Dart by Pommies- I grew up in a family and country that in those days was British to their boot heels. When I first went to school we always began with God Save the King -yes my birth pre dated the Queens ascension. We then sang one or two songs such as Rule Britannia, There'll Always be an England or Britannia Rules the Waves. Even more British than the British.

So the Royal Family was important to us. Some of my family made the 6 week journey by ship to be there for the Coronation. So it is fitting that I and one of my sisters will be in England for the funeral. The Queen was much loved and respected by us.

Long Live the King.

Lovely sentiments DR.  

The affinity has always been two-way.   You might recall that a cousin of mine was GG to Oz and wife and I nearly found ourselves as emigrants to enjoy your company and his hospitality in his regal residence. I’m so proud of that relationship and was stunned to meet his best friend on an SS cruise and his wife who was a lady in waiting at his wedding. He was a lawyer as was my cousin. What a very small world.

My other surprise coincidence was that   you might recall  I use to play records for a while and a friend of mine was a UK DJ long departed and much loved in the UK during his long broadcasting career whose real name was John Ravenscroft but better known as Peel. My current girlfriend at the time was the designer for Covent Garden Opera and I was somewhat surprised to come back to the flat to find john sitting on our bed in his under-pants. Many Brits will remember John who unlike his public persona  was a very shy and modest and introverted man and will never forget his unique and iconic voice and can hear him when I repeat what he said with somewhat startled eyes “Jeff, please do not over-react.  Things aren’t as they seem! (Her name) is making me a decent pair of trousers …..”    The reason I rabbit on about this is because my girlfriend’  direct line back was Gilbert Middleton who was a co-signatory with  Oliver Cromwell for the regicide of Charles 1st and she still retained the name through the unbroken line. By another coincidence I use to live at Aldersgate where Charles 1st remains were displayed ….. but not thankfully when I lived there!

I think King Charles III is somewhat safer. May he have a long and happy life.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
ipad tappa shpelling issues ..
  • Like 3