Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Thanks for your reply, Davey.  I looked your cruise up ,and it is a great itinerary, and of course going to be with friends will make all the difference - I had imagined it might  be a solo cruise, as you sometimes go on your own.  And they will appreciate your Louboutins, which might not happen with hoi polloi you expect to come across on board.

Lola

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 6:11 PM, jpalbny said:

Yes, we are at ATL and our flight is already 2h late. Such fun!

Any updates from J.P. and Chris?  Did you make it home to Albany, NY, OK, on Sunday night?  How was Monday as a work-day?  Things really bad for parts of New York State, in Vermont, etc.  It was THE major national news last night about the rains, flooding, etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

22 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Any updates from J.P. and Chris?  Did you make it home to Albany, NY, OK, on Sunday night?  How was Monday as a work-day?  Things really bad for parts of New York State, in Vermont, etc.  It was THE major national news last night about the rains, flooding, etc.  

Hi Terry, the flash flooding looks horrific☹️

On 7/10/2023 at 11:58 AM, Daveywavey70 said:

TBH HJB, I’ve been having a bit of a battle over there. Some of the posters find it hilarious that my dad died of Mesothelioma and there are enough warriors there  that they would have ended WW1 in a week. I’m more than a little disgusted in my future cruise “buddies” and seriously regretting booking the whole thing. I’ll happily express my displeasure in person if they have a pair though.

I’m so sorry that you are experiencing what you are.  I used to like Celebrity, but it certainly seems that there is a change in the passenger demographics.  I guess the lesson learned is that you can’t go back after moving on to premium and luxury ships.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Any updates from J.P. and Chris?  Did you make it home to Albany, NY, OK, on Sunday night?  How was Monday as a work-day?  Things really bad for parts of New York State, in Vermont, etc. 

Thanks for checking in. We got home at 1:30 Sunday night/Monday morning so not much sleep to be had before work yesterday. Last night I slept a normal amount, so I'm feeling somewhat human today.

No flooding in our area. We did have to drive through some heavy rain on the way from Newark to Albany on Sunday night though. Looks very bad in some areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Thanks for checking in. We got home at 1:30 Sunday night/Monday morning so not much sleep to be had before work yesterday. Last night I slept a normal amount, so I'm feeling somewhat human today.  No flooding in our area. We did have to drive through some heavy rain on the way from Newark to Albany on Sunday night though. Looks very bad in some areas.

Great, J.P., to hear you made it back home reasonably safe and sound. Kind of??   A little later than planned, but not bad under these challenging circumstances.  Not a short, easy drive that night from Newark to Albany.  Once you get recovered and rested, interested in any additional background and details from your South America adventure.  

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 10:20 AM, spinnaker2 said:

Its colorful. But OMG how does it even float. After our recent MSC travesty in the yacht club, I can’t say I would ever go on something this ginormous. Even if I was gifted a cruise. 

Agree with Spins and others that such a BIG, Mega ship is not for me.  But from this news story, here is some added background as to how super large will be this sailing ship.  They had this headline: We're in Awe of This Comically Gigantic Luxury Cruise Ship.

Here are some reporting highlights: As if hulking luxury cruise ships weren't big enough already, Royal Caribbean International's Icon of the Seas is here to break all records.  It's almost 1,200 feet long, weighs a quarter million tons — that's five times as heavy as the Titanic — and can carry 5,610 passengers and 2,350 crew members across 20 decks. It'll also feature six water slides, seven pools — one of which will be the 'largest pool at sea' — and nine whirlpools. A 'Central Park' will also feature thousands of real plants. It's an entire opulent municipality that can journey across the ocean.

Full story at:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/were-awe-comically-gigantic-luxury-142716670.html

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 247,933 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lincslady said:

Thanks for your reply, Davey.  I looked your cruise up ,and it is a great itinerary, and of course going to be with friends will make all the difference - I had imagined it might  be a solo cruise, as you sometimes go on your own.  And they will appreciate your Louboutins, which might not happen with hoi polloi you expect to come across on board.

Lola

My partner isn't travelling with me Lola, so I'm solo in that respect. The only stop I'd like to have seen would be a stop in Tasmania. I'm not even sure I'll be taking the Loubies, I Don't think Celebrity are ready for them, I'll just have to slum it in the Ferragamos. 🙂 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

My partner isn't travelling with me Lola, so I'm solo in that respect. The only stop I'd like to have seen would be a stop in Tasmania. I'm not even sure I'll be taking the Loubies, I Don't think Celebrity are ready for them, I'll just have to slum it in the Ferragamos. 🙂 

I have some sketchers you can borrow.

• Haha 5

22 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Thanks for checking in. We got home at 1:30 Sunday night/Monday morning so not much sleep to be had before work yesterday. Last night I slept a normal amount, so I'm feeling somewhat human today.

No flooding in our area. We did have to drive through some heavy rain on the way from Newark to Albany on Sunday night though. Looks very bad in some areas.

Tough re-entry.  Glad you're home safe.  Love the trip report.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lirio said:

Please, define a sketcher....not familiar with this word.

Skechers are a brand of shoes which are known for, hmmm... being lightweight and very comfortable?

Definitely not "stylish" and they will never be confused with DW's beautiful shoes. But some of their items are passable for both daytime (walking around cities/ports) and night time (informal night). Thus they fit the bill for me when I need to limit the number of shoes I can put in my carryon. Multitasking is my motto.

They tend to work better on expedition cruises where the evening dress code is more casual. Then I can get away with a pair that works as a light hiking shoe during the day.

PS - they are not all slip-on (I refuse to wear those). The ones I buy do have proper laces.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 4

On 7/10/2023 at 5:10 PM, Daveywavey70 said:

It seemed like a good idea at the time Lola. I’ve got dear friends that are in steerage and didn’t want to miss out on time with them. The itin was exactly what I wanted and the timing was perfect. Just a shame about the company but I Hope they aren’t quite as pitiful in real life. 

We just did a b2b on the Edge. One leg in steerage, one leg in Retreat. It was our second time On Edge. The first time we found the ship exciting, the second time annoying. The people on the other hand were delightful. Meet two fellows randomly on the elevator who we had cocktails with every night. Even discovered we had a mutual non cruising friend. 
also, go with low food expectations. A secret at least in the Med is that the buffet at night isn’t crowded and they grill fish (not frozen some nights) to order. They also will grill chicken and minute steaks. The stir fry is also made to order. May not be the highest quality of ingredients but at least it is fresh and generally tasty. 
Also while the Retreat class thrilled us the first go around, the second we found it a waste except the dedicated concierge was helpful when we had a situation back home that needed lots of paper work printed, faxed, etc. may also be that it was a port intensive cruise so we didn’t have a lot of hang out time. No matter what just go and enjoy. Better than not being on vacation.  

• Like 2