Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Not sure if many/any of you heard, but Tony Bennett passed this morning......He was 96 and had been preforming for over 7 decades!!!! I loved him so much! Sadly, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2016 but I remember seeing his last concert on tv with Lady GaGa.....it was fantastic (as he was).

Tony, RIP. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

Not sure if many/any of you heard, but Tony Bennett passed this morning......He was 96 and had been preforming for over 7 decades!!!! I loved him so much! Sadly, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2016 but I remember seeing his last concert on tv with Lady GaGa.....it was fantastic (as he was).

Tony, RIP. 

I also saw and enjoyed that televised concert. From me too, rest in peace Tony

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Tony, RIP. 

YES!!!  Sad loss.  Was fortunate to hear him twice, live in concert.  Amazing performer, including just a few years ago at the late stages of his awesome career.  Love his "Left My Heart In San Francisco" song.  What could be better??? 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/21/arts/music/tony-bennett-dead.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Happy Saturday from the peninsula where it is absolutely scorchingly TORRID.

Intense heat. 

Hydrate everyone!

I know the feeling. Hello from Rio de Janeiro......

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

In good old British fashion the heavens decided to open extravagantly today when we picked up the new car. Anyway, here she is before getting coated in mud on the way home:

IMG-20230722-WA0005.thumb.jpg.581eb06d01dde60ca053513ec71572de.jpg

She's a beauty!  Enjoy! 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Lirio said:

Has anyone done "Secret Itineraries" tour in  Palazzo Ducale in Venice?

I did it back in 2015. I enjoyed it, and thought that it was worthwhile. It definitely takes you off the normal path. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

In good old British fashion the heavens decided to open extravagantly today when we picked up the new car. Anyway, here she is before getting coated in mud on the way home:

IMG-20230722-WA0005.thumb.jpg.581eb06d01dde60ca053513ec71572de.jpg

A handsome machine, Tts.  Can I ask if it is electric, hybrid, or neither of the above - and if it is, do  you have easy access to recharging?

Lola

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lincslady said:

A handsome machine, Tts.  Can I ask if it is electric, hybrid, or neither of the above - and if it is, do  you have easy access to recharging?

Lola

It's a hybrid. Roughly 60 miles of electric range from a full charge. We can charge it in our garage from the mains at cheap overnight rate or from our solar panels on a sunny day. 

Went to Norwich today. 150 mile round trip used all the electric plus 11 litres of petrol. The electric used cost about the same as 3 litres of petrol. So as a cost equivalent that equals about 50mpg. Obviously, journeys up to 60 miles will cost in electric the equivalent of 3 litres or about £4.50. Or less if solar. 

But, more importantly, it pushes out 489 bhp and goes like a scalded cat! 

It's a BMW X5 X-drive 50e M Sport. 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I  particularly like the scalded cat bit - and to be going at speed and getting 50 mpg is impressive too.  My concern is that in general there are not going to be nearly enough charging points for everyone, at the present rate of progress. Today's Times says that spiffy new chargers are available in a few places, but the electricity companies can't get the power to them for quite some time! 

• Like 1

One day a florist went to a barber for a haircut. After the cut, he asked about his bill, and the barber replied, “I cannot accept money from you, I'm doing community service this week”. The florist was pleased and left the shop.

When the barber went to open his shop the next morning, there was a ‘thank you' card and a dozen roses waiting for him at his door. Later, a cop comes in for a haircut, and when he tries to pay his bill, the barber again replied, “I cannot accept money from you, I'm doing community service this week.” The cop was happy and left the shop.

The next morning when the barber went to open up, there was a 'thank you' card and a dozen doughnuts waiting for him at his door.
Then a Member of Congress came in for a haircut, and when he went to pay his bill, the barber again replied, “I cannot accept money from. you. I'm doing community service this week”. The Member of Congresswas very happy and left the shop.

The next morning, when the barber went to open up, there were a dozen Members of Congress lined up waiting for a free haircut.

And that, my friends, illustrates the fundamental difference between the citizens of our country and the politicians who run it.
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3