Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Exciting excursion take 2.

Our bus suddenly veered to the wrong side of the road. A minibus was coming. I thought oh no. The bus quickly returned to the right side of the road. The guide said did you see what happened. No one had. Well we just ran over a dog.

Excursions are exciting in Vietnam.

9 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Exciting excursion take 2.

Our bus suddenly veered to the wrong side of the road. A minibus was coming. I thought oh no. The bus quickly returned to the right side of the road. The guide said did you see what happened. No one had. Well we just ran over a dog.

Excursions are exciting in Vietnam.

Again...."terrifying" emoticon required!  It seems excursions in Vietnam are not for the faint at heart.   Hold on tight @drron29 !

ReefKnot - Thank you for the suggestions on what to do during our one day in Tunis.  We took the ship’s tour to Carthage and saw many of the attractions including Les Bains de Antonin, the Roman villas, and the aqueduct.  The tour also included time in Sidi Bou Said which was lovely if a bit crowded.  The weather cooperated with a slight breeze.  The visit to the Medina was cancelled due to security concerns although I must admit, I felt quite safe everywhere we went.  We hope to return to Tunisia some day.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

ReefKnot - Thank you for the suggestions on what to do during our one day in Tunis.  We took the ship’s tour to Carthage and saw many of the attractions including Les Bains de Antonin, the Roman villas, and the aqueduct.  The tour also included time in Sidi Bou Said which was lovely if a bit crowded.  The weather cooperated with a slight breeze.  The visit to the Medina was cancelled due to security concerns although I must admit, I felt quite safe everywhere we went.  We hope to return to Tunisia some day.

Glad you got to enjoy some of the sights, shame about the Medina but probably understandable.  The French Embassy is in that area and recently there has been protests in front of the place, unfortunately they often get a bit animated. Not something that tourists should be seeing!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Reef Knot said:

Glad you got to enjoy some of the sights, shame about the Medina but probably understandable.  The French Embassy is in that area and recently there has been protests in front of the place, unfortunately they often get a bit animated. Not something that tourists should be seeing!

When I think about “risk” in foreign countries, I have to remind myself that I live in the US near Baltimore, one of the most dangerous cities in the country.  We did enjoy our brief stay in Tunis and were fortunate with the weather.  I would not want to go there when it is really hot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

In our house the motto is, “you get what you get and you don’t throw a fit”.  A phrase to live by in all manners of life, I suppose. 😁

I love that.   And applicable in various ongoing threads!  😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone get their flu shot lately? I got mine the other day and for the first time I can ever recall, it really knocked me out.....the pharmacist did say for those of us over 65 a stronger dose is used. I am now in that category and whatever the mixture was? I slept for nearly 9 hours straight! Normally I always wake up at least once in the middle of the night.......well, I slept straight through!  Feel much better today.😃

• Like 1

Lois,

I got both the over-65 multi-talent flu shot & the RSV shot, same day.  Other than some soreness at injection site, didn't actually feel much impact physically.  However, it was of course an excellent opportunity to beg off doing several onerous hubby projects that my DW was advocating I undertake that day.  Oh, my arm!!  (Staggers into comfy armchair...)  

Today am going to get Covid booster (#6 I think?).  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Oh, that sounds ominous. Like it would mean it is my time to go....

Don't you dare Lois!

I got the flu shot in one arm, new covid booster in the other.  Won't do that again because one arm was sore for days but I don't know which shot to complain about 😉

On another topic, while in Italy, I discovered Limoncello.  Fruit food group won't be a problem anymore

• Haha 2

DW and I got the flu shots early this year, 4x 'old geezer' strength – and no problems at all.

Now it's time to find a light spot in the calendar to schedule the new Covid booster – just in case we have a reaction.  [We've sworn off Moderna because the reactions kept getting worse; the last booster was Pfizer and no issues at all.]

And now they're talking about RSV too?  Think I'll wait for some more of you to be my 'beta testers' on that one...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

And now they're talking about RSV too?  Think I'll wait for some more of you to be my 'beta testers' on that one...

I had both the hi-dose flu shot and the latest Covid shot (my 7th) on the same day. The pharmacist and I discussed which arm to use for which, but I think we got it backwards. I'm left handed so I wanted the sorer arm to be my right (non-dominant), but it turned out to be the Covid shot in my left arm that hurt a bit more. I have a prescription for the RSV vaccine, but I haven't done anything about it yet.

23 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Think I'll wait for some more of you to be my 'beta testers' on that one...

You'll be waiting a few more years for us to reach that demographic. Will be happy to report if I'm still on CC by then.

The newest Moderna gave me a sore arm for a few days. The only thing that helped was getting in the hot tub and letting a jet blast my shoulder at full strength. Or perhaps it was the G&T... The flu vaccine (normal strength, a few days later) wasn't bad in comparison. Chris got both the same day. She's the tough one.

We were out late last night. Started with an early dinner at a new place near by that we hadn't yet tried. Great menu; we went with fish dishes and a bottle of Northern Italian white. Chris's scallop main dish was particularly nicely done.

20231031_175455.thumb.jpg.d968d0d143c49288e58056f29b49d1f9.jpg

Lingered over dessert and an espresso, until it was time to cross the river and go to a concert at The Egg (a venue with an unusual shape in the State Capitol complex).

20231031_193631.thumb.jpg.5b4ed12c24b84462d7e10f07f8b5af5e.jpg

We saw an ABBA tribute band which played about two hours of fun music. Some dancing was seen in the aisles. A fun Halloween!

20231031_214050.thumb.jpg.f080a55e9b9395ea35b1fc799a3b0f62.jpg

Wrapping up the packing tonight. There is still room in the duffel bags in case we forgot something. Tomorrow AM we can check in for our Friday 6:10AM departure to ATL. The on to JNB, and eventually Botswana! Can't wait. 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 13