Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Just now, Lvshack said:

Well spinnaker2 I consider myself told off ,sorry for the intrusion won't post again 

That's not what spins meant!  We welcome you here!  Unfortunately the topics as mandated must be something other than cruising.  Hence the jokes, the stories and the sharing that does not pertain to SS.  Spins did not make this rule.  She only wanted to help with your expectations as to content here.

4 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

Well spinnaker2 I consider myself told off ,sorry for the intrusion won't post again 

no, you can post on here:classic_smile:.....just post about "other stuff" and not SS cruises...…...she was not trying to tell you off.   You are not intruding.

• Like 2

Miss cruising, traveling, travel planning...all of it.

Finally bit the bullet and canceled the China flights for next month. I had been playing an expensive game of chicken with the airline, but I think I won. I hadn't canceled earlier, because I didn't really want a big voucher if I could get a refund. And I definitely wanted to see if I could avoid a penalty or change fee.

Our flight to Beijing was supposed to leave in just over 3 weeks, and the return from Shanghai was in 5 weeks. Yesterday, the airline canceled the Detroit-Beijing segment outright. 

So today I called to cancel the rest of the itinerary. To my great surprise, their first and only offer was a complete refund. Done, yes please, and thank you! 

Welcome also to Lvshack! Post away! 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

Yikes.

Open mouth and apparently insert foot. And no good deed goes unpunished. 

Lvshack please take a look at the rules by host Laura.

I didn't make them

But we all abide by them.

Of course you are most welcome here. We are not exclusionary!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi JP, glad they didn't give you any BS about refunds/vouchers!

My Dr prescribed a pill for me so I won't have to do insulin shots anymore! (hopefully the pill will work)!  Found out

now I have to take Thyroid Medicine too.:classic_wacko:...omg.....I am just falling apart. Maybe one day my body will even out.

Had to go for an Ultra sound of the thyroid...…...

Lois, you are certainly getting more than your share of medical attention these days. I'm sorry...doctors give me hives. Hope things settle down for you.

It is common for type 2 diabetics to need insulin for a short time while the sugar is very high, but once things settle down, pills may work just as well.

Trying not to develop Spins' travitude, but...

I lined up the vermouth, bourbon and some fantastic looking Michigan maraschino type cherries in a jar.  Got the wife interested enough so she would join in for our first Manhattan.  Then - can't find the cherry bitters.  Knew I'd be losing face, but asked DW if she knew where the bitters I bought several months ago were.  No luck.

Perhaps I've developed "locolocality" - a craziness due to traveling no more than 10 miles from one's home in any direction for 3 months.🙂

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Trying not to develop Spins' travitude, but...

I lined up the vermouth, bourbon and some fantastic looking Michigan maraschino type cherries in a jar.  Got the wife interested enough so she would join in for our first Manhattan.  Then - can't find the cherry bitters.  Knew I'd be losing face, but asked DW if she knew where the bitters I bought several months ago were.  No luck.

Perhaps I've developed "locolocality" - a craziness due to traveling no more than 10 miles from one's home in any direction for 3 months.🙂

We are all struggling with memory and thinking issues during this nastiness.  Seriously I walk into a room with a definite purpose and leave scratching my head because I lost lock when I walked in the door.  It's not permanent and you will find your cherry bitters.  I'm sure the Manhattans were excellent!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mysty.  But ooops, I just reread my post and it could be construed that writing  "Spins' travitude" meant I thought Spins had travitude.  Not what I meant at all, just referencing the creator of the idea. So sorry Spins if it was interpreted that way.

Now see what you've gone and did Lvshack!  We (no, make that me) are getting nervous about our (my) posts!  You have to come back and know you are welcome on SS boards.  I envy your cruising experience! 

There's good people here.

• Like 2

I be ok.

Water rolls off duck.

But in all honesty I  do think I have travitude.

Trying to deal with it all.

And I have the other disorder too.

Muy loca.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 2

Decided to do a little gardening work today...

20200513_193308.jpg.d846356e1cbc9222ceeba61dd59533f2.jpg

We ordered a prime rib special from the local steakhouse. It was a 4# hunk of meat! Wow...sharpen your carving knives!

20200513_182433.thumb.jpg.38657776c0bb4d33281fe6c3b06b9188.jpg

Delicious. Leftovers galore. And a cabernet from our favorite Sonoma winery. Just to be clear, no leftover wine... 🍷

Our cat still isn't used to us being home all day. I imagine her like this. Poor girl!

FB_IMG_1589412563625.jpg.ac9e6f0a974a3098d3d07ebbba14de53.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Lois, you are certainly getting more than your share of medical attention these days. I'm sorry...doctors give me hives. Hope things settle down for you.

It is common for type 2 diabetics to need insulin for a short time while the sugar is very high, but once things settle down, pills may work just as well.

Thank you:classic_smile:.....so do I.....I have never been a "there is a reason for everything" type of person and don't

pretend to be but I have to wonder if someone above is trying to test my patience for whatever reason:classic_blink:

I am checking my sugar twice a day and it has not gone over 133.

4 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Decided to do a little gardening work today...

20200513_193308.jpg.d846356e1cbc9222ceeba61dd59533f2.jpg

We ordered a prime rib special from the local steakhouse. It was a 4# hunk of meat! Wow...sharpen your carving knives!

Delicious. Leftovers galore. And a cabernet from our favorite Sonoma winery. Just to be clear, no leftover wine... 🍷

Our cat still isn't used to us being home all day. I imagine her like this. Poor girl!

FB_IMG_1589412563625.jpg.ac9e6f0a974a3098d3d07ebbba14de53.jpg

JP...…...that Prime Rib is looking AWESOME...…….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

...writing  "Spins' travitude" meant I thought Spins had travitude.

Oh, she definitely has the travitude.  No doubt about it.  I’m a big fan.

32 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

And I have the other disorder too.

😆😆😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It was a 4# hunk of meat!

Leftovers galore.

Gee for socks!  I’d hope you’d have some leftovers.  I mean, I know you can eat more than your fair share, but Chris?  Nah.  She couldn’t pack away more than 4 ounces of that roast beast.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

But in all honesty I  do think I have travitude. Trying to deal with it all.

Good luck to Spins and all of us in trying to adjust to the "new normal".  The month of April is now gone and half of May.  Things are starting to open up, but in a different, more modified manner.  Good food posts by J.P, excellent medical sharing, etc.  Things busy at the Cooler.  Below are some added "insights" from a couple of comedy legends. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

44452905_ScreenShot2020-05-14at8_48_55AM.thumb.png.d84a9a8b2124f56ecdb340ca8e55387e.png

1994410277_ScreenShot2020-05-14at8_49_39AM.thumb.png.c0e0e0d995ec054dc1932de5a307ab22.png

Good morning, Terry, I shake my head sometimes about where we are---is it really 1/2 way through May?:classic_wacko: I guess

so...….what a year so far.  I retired on Dec 31st and took a Caribbean cruise in January.  When I came back I was

going to get ALL my logistical things taken care of for the "BIG APRIL RETIREMENT CRUISES" which was supposed

to start APRIL 5----------well, of course we all were affected before that date.

And then, at the end of April, I got really sick...……...like I said, what a first 1/2 of the year this has been!

11 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, Terry, I shake my head sometimes about where we are---is it really 1/2 way through May?  And then, at the end of April, I got really sick...……...like I said, what a first 1/2 of the year this has been!

For Lois and others, let's hope for a much better rest of 2020!!  Good luck with those health challenges.  

When will travel get back to "normal"??  In my view, Seabourn has been much more realistic and honest in saying now that they do not expect to start sailing any of their five luxury ship until the period of mid-October to early November.  Not sure (other than seeking to hang on to customer cash longer) why Silversea and other cruise lines are being so slow in cancelling upcoming cruise schedules.  

Clearly, Silversea and other cruise line are not even close to having the needed testing tools, good airline connections, countries being open, etc., etc., in order to resume a reasonable and safe level of customer offerings.  Plus, having its key audience of those age 60+ being reasonably confident that the health risks will be minimal during airline flights and on these ships with hundreds of passengers and staff grouped together. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 230,005 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139