Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

17 hours ago, Lvshack said:

Hi Terry thanks for your reply.hope your cat scan gives a positive outcome??☺ Having said I enjoy the posts ( which I do 😉 ) the humour is not always what I understand???  Duh !!!!    So let's hope 2021 will go ahead sometime maybe  mid April/may....I'm a positive girl and enjoy my cruise vacations very much so here's to 2021.  Once again thanks to all of the posts & back in  my early  days welcoming me to the board...

YES to our UK CC Board friend, certain aspects of American humor can be confusing to those across the Atlantic and/or in other parts of the world.  Such as below, Jeff Foxworthy is super skilled at "Southern humor" or items starting with "you might be a redneck if . . . ."   Tina Fey is more contemporary and current with her TV-styled approach from her Saturday Night Live days.  Lots of options as to what is funny.  Or, not??   Then these days, the "politically-correct" movement makes it even more challenging as to who can poke fun at whom?  What words and phrases can be used?  Who is offended or not?  As a hint on Jeff Foxworthy, Southerners are supposedly more "hicks" with in-breeding by marrying their cousins, etc.  

As to those wanted to travel and cruise, the time-tables keep getting moved back. And, the "SCIENCE" is not always perfect and totally crystal clear.  Yesterday, our state's Governor, Mike DeWine, was to meet the President when he was arriving in Ohio.  DeWine tested positive for having Covid-19 from a "quick test" and thought he would have to quarantine for the next two weeks.  Our Governor has been a national leader during this crisis, including being among the first in the country in early March shutting down large events and sporting events.  But, later yesterday a more comprehensive testing revealed that DeWine did not have the virus.  Lots of questions and debates as to the qualities of testing, masks, social distancing, etc.  Personally, we, like our Governor, "get it" and continue to be very, very careful.  BUT, the future options for shutting down bars, how much to re-open schools, etc., etc., continues to be debated and somewhat unclear.  As I have detailed on the "SS Re-Opening" thread on this Silversea board, the cruise industry has had its recent major set-backs in Norway and sadly they do not even have all of their staff safely returned back home from when the shut-down started in mid March.  Nothing is clear, simple, quick and/or easy.   Especially for those of us who are "seasoned citizens" over a certain age and/or with some health histories like as my wife has.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 230,772 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

558645561_ScreenShot2020-08-07at7_25_02AM.thumb.png.3a16aaa15599f51a92e770dfdb4fd081.png

2010623503_ScreenShot2020-08-07at7_25_23AM.thumb.png.3ddf702a870189fbbf92de9db3698049.png

11 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

If that's our Gordon I think there's a word missing !!!!!!!

Yes Lvshack!  If the missing word had been there the post would have been deleted!  Ha Ha Ha!  It is more or less implied if you know of Gordon!

4 minutes ago, mysty said:

Yes Lvshack!  If the missing word had been there the post would have been deleted!  Ha Ha Ha!  It is more or less implied if you know of Gordon!

Oh yes I know Gordon for better or worse ( so to speak) ...

My husband has family in Canada Saskatchewan !!! We have never been such a shame,

They have been to see us several times 🙂

• Like 1

Good Sunday morning!!  Perfect, wonderful weather here today in Central Ohio.  Right now is 72F, sunny, feeling nice and crisp.  Will get up to 89F this afternoon.

Below are a couple of "oldies", including one from across the Atlantic.  Just a few points of "wisdom" and perspective for living our lives.  

656521931_ScreenShot2020-08-09at9_35_51AM.thumb.png.4396063e58d06c3cd421824296bc5b64.png

205526961_ScreenShot2020-08-09at9_36_14AM.png.cce2a1cd0032edddc3a6f11c12594de5.png

29 minutes ago, Lois R said:

"The Truth----You Can't Handle The Truth"  Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men"..........

YES!!!  Super loved that movie and especially the excellent performance by Jack Nicholson.  From https://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/specialengagements/moviespeechafewgoodmencodered.html

here is the full listing as to the back and forth dialogue:

LTJG Kaffee: Colonel Jessep! Did you order the Code Red?!

Judge Randolph: You don't have to answer that question!

Col Jessep: I'll answer the question. You want answers?

LTJG Kaffee: I think I'm entitled to them.

Col Jessep: You want answers?!

LTJG Kaffee: I want the truth!

Col Jessep: You can't handle the truth!   Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.   You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall -- you need me on that wall.  We use words like "honor," "code," "loyalty." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.  I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!

LTJG Kaffee: Did you order the Code Red?

Col Jessep: I did the job --

LTJG Kaffee: -- Did you order the Code Red?!

Col Jessep: YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT I DID!!!

This great movie was released December 9, 1992.  It was directed by Rob Reiner with an amazing screenplay and story by: Aaron Sorkin.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 88,316 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here is a video view of Jack Nicholson from this movie.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

257436025_ScreenShot2020-08-09at10_42_38AM.thumb.png.577d814e5f3ce8192385a8d9ae3b4a66.png

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Happy Monday!!  Another tough week in semi-lock-down seeking to avoid the Covid-19 dangers.  

2130983264_ScreenShot2020-08-10at9_22_51AM.thumb.png.59688146d0bbce462e5164de1426c898.png

1239692400_ScreenShot2020-08-10at9_23_07AM.thumb.png.eadcc09182dcf094dbdd9249955f930e.png

Again my dear Terry it's lost in  translation!!!  But having said that some many comedy US  programs  will love here in the UK ( one of my favourite every body loves Raymond) the actor who played the dad ( name escapes Me ) died of what I have multiple myeloma!!   I'm still living life to the full long live crusing ...by the way it's been 85f here today and at the week end😎 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

Again my dear Terry it's lost in  translation!!!  But having said that some many comedy US  programs  will love here in the UK ( one of my favourite every body loves Raymond) the actor who played the dad ( name escapes Me ) died of what I have multiple myeloma!!   I'm still living life to the full long live crusing ...by the way it's been 85f here today and at the week end😎 

YES, understand how some thoughts (comic or otherwise) can be "LOST IN TRANSLATION" when going back and forth across the Atlantic.  As to "Everybody Love Raymond", I think you are referring to Peter Boyle.  He passed away on December 12, 2006, at the age of 71 in New York City after suffering from multiple myeloma and heart disease.  Boyle first got notice and attention in the 1970 film titled "Joe".  Boyle also is most remembered for being the comical monster in Mel Brooks' film spoof Young Frankenstein from 1974. My wife likes "Everybody Love Raymond" very much.  For me, it's OK, but it is not among my top favorites.  I am a big fan of "oldies" shows such as Cheers, Seinfeld, Hogan's Heroes, etc., where the characters are "lovable losers"!!  

It is hot and humid here now with an expected high of 90°F and a "RealFeel" of 96°F with a thunderstorm in spots.  Not a good day for outdoor work.  

For college football fans such as Lois and Spins, news is breaking here that the Big Ten Conference that includes Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc., will be scrubbing its entire fall season.  An official announcement is expected tomorrow.  

But, good news for here in Central Ohio is that last night our Columbus Blue Jackets of the National Hockey League beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-0 last night to advance in the race for the Stanley Cup.  No crowds in the arenas for these contests, but it is still fun to watch and follow.  Something live to watch and release the boredom with limited live sports action.  Nice pro golf yesterday with the PGA championship from a super scenic San Francisco course with a young and rising 23-year-old winning this major title.  

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 67,250 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Hi Terry, I have been out this morning and did not see the news about the BIG 10!............So one of the "BIG BOYS"

is opting out.  I wonder if it will have a trickle down effect..............

16 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

YES, understand how some thoughts (comic or otherwise) can be "LOST IN TRANSLATION" when going back and forth across the Atlantic.  As to "Everybody Love Raymond", I think you are referring to Peter Boyle.  He passed away on December 12, 2006, at the age of 71 in New York City after suffering from multiple myeloma and heart disease.  Boyle first got notice and attention in the 1970 film titled "Joe".  Boyle also is most remembered for being the comical monster in Mel Brooks' film spoof Young Frankenstein from 1974. My wife likes "Everybody Love Raymond" very much.  For me, it's OK, but it is not among my top favorites.  I am a big fan of "oldies" shows such as Cheers, Seinfeld, Hogan's Heroes, etc., where the characters are "lovable losers"!!  

It is hot and humid here now with an expected high of 90°F and a "RealFeel" of 96°F with a thunderstorm in spots.  Not a good day for outdoor work.  

For college football fans such as Lois and Spins, news is breaking here that the Big Ten Conference that includes Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc., will be scrubbing its entire fall season.  An official announcement is expected tomorrow.  

But, good news for here in Central Ohio is that last night our Columbus Blue Jackets of the National Hockey League beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-0 last night to advance in the race for the Stanley Cup.  No crowds in the arenas for these contests, but it is still fun to watch and follow.  Something live to watch and release the boredom with limited live sports action.  Nice pro golf yesterday with the PGA championship from a super scenic San Francisco course with a young and rising 23-year-old winning this major title.  

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 67,250 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Yes I know it's probably not your favourite but I guess I identified with him being he had multiple myeloma... Also ( I'm sorry what's his name from jaws

also died from it.) When I was diagnosed in 2013 never heard of it ... But after a successful stem cell transplant in 2014 (I've  ;been lucky not having any treatment to date ) I'm still here and living life to the full ...posted I think on another thread ( you know me can't remember which one I'm reply to ) about some biker race which  is apparently big in the USA!!! I sent a photo of my lovely husband who at the age of 60 still does Motocross here in the UK veteran over 60,s which he loves

He follows the US Motocross  series and lives & breathes it & always dreamed of racing in the US 

( Not everybody's favourite sport I know)  my favourite heart throbe in early 80,s UK was Kurt nickol ) now leaving in USA .. anyway thanks for reading ....

• Like 1