Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

11 hours ago, lincslady said:

mysty - Ow!

Brimary - I enjoy using these funny UK phrases, sometimes intentionally, to see if people from 'elsewhere' twig (is this one?) what I am getting at.  I often find difficulty in understanding US expressions, and don't get me going on names for things (pants, fanny, etc.)   Some I use are very old fashioned, and I am sure no one young would say 'doolally' for instance - I think it derives from a place in I believe India called Deolali, where everyone went barmy (is that a British expression?) for some reason.

Lincslady, you are indeed correct. The term originates from Deolali, which in modern terms has translated to Doolally or Doolally tap. It was a tragic incident incident in the history of the Empire. Tap roughly translates to fever.  The residue of a huge amount of historical distortion has left two widely acknowledged  expressions in our common language, Doolally and tapped. Both referring to “madness”. The Empire has a lot to answer for.

• Like 1

Welcome, Foggy!  Having had a Yorkshire mother-in-law, no problem in the translation, and for those who could not manage  'tha a reet bahmpot' - you are a right (real) idiot (barmy).

Hamilton had a struggle, didn't he, but at least it was more interesting, and I felt sorry for poor old Bottas.  .

Terry - it was lovely to see the delightful Jorge again.  I wonder where he is now?

Davey -what an atmospheric and lovely photo.  Your place does look gorgeous, and I am sorry that for you and others in your line of work - and  travel agents - things are pretty awful  and frustrating at present.  

We are hoping to have a short stay with son and wife, some 3 hours away, in two weeks, but at present things are changing so rapidly as to what you can and can't do it may not happen.

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

Terry - it was lovely to see the delightful Jorge again.  I wonder where he is now?

Yes, Jorge was "delightful", plus much more, including efficient, charming, hard-working, etc., etc.  As best my foggy memory recalls, I think he retired to his native Portugal and was doing something connected with wine production.  Anyone else have a better re-call?  For "going down memory lane" purposes, below is one of my visuals showing  Jorge working hard in setting up a noon buffet in the main dining area during our 2010 Norway cruise on the Silver Cloud.  Sadly, such lavish and fun buffets are a "thing of the past" given all of the health/safety concerns these days.  Love it when such cute carving and special displays are done. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

DSC_3306.jpeg.4104ac574708c1a72856995af177984c.jpeg

Below are a couple of comedy classic voices from our history.  Don't forget that Bob Hope was born in the UK, but moved as a kid to Cleveland in our Ohio area.  That's before he went to California to become a major movie, TV and performing super star.  

1607379110_ScreenShot2020-08-03at8_47_03AM.png.830db4d7dbcbe2af239e4026f559acba.png

316501172_ScreenShot2020-08-03at8_47_38AM.thumb.png.88dc5630744376373bb49705a7f8ed82.png

3 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Yes, Jorge was "delightful", plus much more, including efficient, charming, hard-working, etc., etc.  As best my foggy memory recalls, I think he retired to his native Portugal and was doing something connected with wine production.  Anyone else have a better re-call?  For "going down memory lane" purposes, below is one of my visuals showing  Jorge working hard in setting up a noon buffet in the main dining area during our 2010 Norway cruise on the Silver Cloud.  Sadly, such lavish and fun buffets are a "thing of the past" given all of the health/safety concerns these days.  Love it when such cute carving and special displays are done. 

DSC_3306.jpeg.4104ac574708c1a72856995af177984c.jpeg

I'm afraid I don't have any photos .. but I remember my first cruise silver wind 2005 & a fabulous buffet style lunch in the dinning room after a tour to see it all being cooked in the kitchen, fabulous first time experience... PS don't get me  started on my local  dialect

I'm from Bristol  the west country of the UK !!!!

20 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

I'm from Bristol  the west country of the UK !!!!

O.k my luvver.

I also thought Jorge was looking after a family vineyard but did see him on TV a couple of months ago as the assistant restaurant manager onboard one of the Regent ships. It was the one they did a documentary about on channel 5.

Edited by eastwoodboy

12 minutes ago, eastwoodboy said:

O.k my luvver.

I also thought Jorge was looking after a family vineyard but did see him on TV a couple of months ago as the assistant restaurant manager onboard one of the Regent ships. It was the one they did a documentary about on channel 5.

I'm gert lush me babby....

One thing that really annoys me is when a TV play or drama is supposed to be in & around Bristol they use a  Cornish accent ...not even close

I'm sorry I comment on Jorge .my have met him but don't recall..🙃

TLC Ohio,

thanks for your further photos of Jorge Jimmy,a fantastic Cruise Director and chef Douglas .We have sailed many times with Captain Mino both prior to him marrying the lovely Cruise Relations Manager.Gianni Dotti rip was Simply the Best Hotel Director who we were so lucky to sail with on approx 14 voyages.Thinking of all Silversea crew who must be suffering so much uncertainty in these circumstances and hope they can get back to what they excel at and we can return to enjoy their wonderful service

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brimary said:

TLC Ohio, thanks for your further photos of Jorge, Jimmy, a fantastic Cruise Director and chef Douglas .We have sailed many times with Captain Mino both prior to him marrying the lovely Cruise Relations Manager.  Gianni Dotti rip was Simply the Best Hotel Director who we were so lucky to sail with on approx 14 voyages.Thinking of all Silversea crew who must be suffering so much uncertainty in these circumstances and hope they can get back to what they excel at and we can return to enjoy their wonderful service

Great follow-up and true comments from brimary about Jorge, Jimmy, Captain Mino, Gianni, etc.  Yes, agree, that this has to be a very tough and challenging period for the great staff members who are probably sitting at home and not sure when things will return to some form of "normal".  Below are are a couple more visuals featuring a few of these "SILVERSEA STAR" from our 2010 Norway cruise on the Silver Cloud. 

First is Captain Mino and Gianni on the right having breakfast as the Hotel Director was getting ready to depart our ship with a new HD (second from left) getting ready to start duties.  Second is me with excellent Captain Mino during a tour of the bridge in 2010.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

DSC_3664.jpeg.4030bbe87972c74fd72be13e241ea50e.jpeg

DSC_4037.jpeg.a9013420e3092bcd60903045badc995f.jpeg

• Like 1

Wishing you the best........stay safe.  From what I saw tonight, the storm is going to roll all the way up to Maine😧

They should just call the storm I  (that is a capital i).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Same captain on January, 2020 celebrating Silver Princess’s 21st birthday.

Great picture and follow-up of Captain Mino.  Like many of us, there is with him a little more weight and slightly less hair.  BUT, he is still being active and highly involved.  That is an excellent game-plan for all to seek and do.  Wonderful sharing!!

Below are a couple of real "oldies" with their wisdom, views, etc. 

648253257_ScreenShot2020-08-04at7_57_12AM.png.5b8362d53bc47a8b8220023abe723007.png

387502240_ScreenShot2020-08-04at7_56_03AM.thumb.png.c1fbbe305f3e0d9e10e50d6e287716e2.png

• Like 1

Good morning......back to normal/hot temps here.   Terry, nice photo.

JP, hope Chris is doing ok (and you too).  After you posted that photo of the Audi? I realized on my walk the other day

one of the folks who lives in my complex drives that car.......it is really sweet looking up close LOL.

I made fresh fish for dinner last night. Had a piece of Cobia and a piece of Mahi.  Baked them very simply with

some Mrs Dash and Paprika. Then I squeezed some fresh lemon on them along with one of "Marie's" dressings

called Wildflower Honey and Lime Vinaigrette.   20 minutes on 400 and they came out simply outstanding😀. Had

them with some veggies and enough fish to have leftovers today.  Really delicious😀 and definitely healthy!

21 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning......back to normal/hot temps here.   Terry, nice photo.  JP, hope Chris is doing ok (and you too). 

I made fresh fish for dinner last night. Had a piece of Cobia and a piece of Mahi.  Baked them very simply with some Mrs Dash and Paprika. Then I squeezed some fresh lemon on them along with one of "Marie's" dressings called Wildflower Honey and Lime Vinaigrette.

To Lois, that fish dish sounds wonderful.  Very tasty!!  To J.P., the media reports this am says that big storm is heading straight to Albany, NY.  Lots of rain and wind!!  Below is the current radar look from AccuWeather for how this storm in now hitting Washington, DC, Philadelphia, etc.  Just left Richmond, Va.  All surviving there?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio 

647628306_ScreenShot2020-08-04at9_19_51AM.thumb.png.e81b1f2d6569a5f550b8c46366fbdb85.png

Thanks all. We are back at work today, tired but otherwise holding up OK. The funeral was yesterday so hopefully getting back to normal over the next few days.

The cemetery is maybe 15 minutes from my grandparents' old farm property where I lived as a youngster, until we moved to Central NY in 1976. So we took a few minutes to drive by the property on the way home. Very little is recognizable at this point - the last time I was there was maybe 30 years ago. The road used to be a dirt road but now it's paved. There are houses in some of our old farm fields, so obviously some subdivision has taken place. Not sure if the main property is still even a farm. Progress, I guess.

Lots of rain overnight and into this morning but seemingly a lull now. The full force of the storm seems to be still a few hours off to the south of us, so this afternoon/evening might get "fun." Glad we are not outside in the cemetery today, however!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Thanks all. We are back at work today, tired but otherwise holding up OK. The funeral was yesterday so hopefully getting back to normal over the next few days.

Lots of rain overnight and into this morning but seemingly a lull now. The full force of the storm seems to be still a few hours off to the south of us, so this afternoon/ evening might get "fun." Glad we are not outside in the cemetery today, however!

Appreciate these details, updating and the follow-up.  Always interesting to visit back where you grew up many decades ago, see the changes, what stays the same, etc.  Good luck with the storm and rain later today and tomorrow.  Keep us posted.  Do you have this weekend off to rest and catch up?