Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Well done for the admission , Terry. I assumed it was fresh because it looks as if you have a lovely garden, and there are lots of flowers around at present.  In the UK we tend only to have wreaths on the door at Christmas time.

That is one wonderful woodpecker; we only get green and spotted woodpeckers around here, and not many of them.

Lola

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Well done for the admission , Terry. I assumed it was fresh because it looks as if you have a lovely garden, and there are lots of flowers around at present.  In the UK we tend only to have wreaths on the door at Christmas time.  That is one wonderful woodpecker; we only get green and spotted woodpeckers around here, and not many of them.   Lola

Agree on the wonderful woodpecker pix.  Will share with my wife as to the excellent UK tradition/idea of only having such wreaths up during the holiday period.  BUT, know with 100% certainty, that I will lose big time on that suggestion.  She like her door wreaths!!!

Below from the Daily Mail is their latest graphic for the coming Florida hurricane.  Purple does not look good for this type of map.  Lois is now only getting a "Storm Watch"??!!   This graphic is from the Weather Channel.  More at: 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8583513/Miami-prepares-20-evacuation-centers-COVID-safety-measures-Hurricane-Isaias-Florida.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

545002968_ScreenShot2020-08-01at3_59_14PM.thumb.png.f2f7bdf94a27bab10ce3c7e22af72560.png

17 hours ago, lincslady said:

Fresh, surely?  And beautiful.  Is it to signify a special date, Terry?

I underestimated yesterdays temperature; it was 90F  Still small beer to some of you.

Our British Grand Prix is tomorrow - live from Silverstone.  Very strange, with everyone standing far apart and wearing masks, and of course no crowd.  Quite hard to follow what some people are saying, with muffled voices, a few hard to follow accents,  and no lip reading.  Still, better than nothing - and most folk have asked not to have money back, but to keep their tickets towards next year's race.  There is a very devoted crowd here for Formula One.    

Lola

Its a very large Beer to us in Yorkshire 90 means have another large Beer.Stay cool Lola!

• Like 1

mysty - Ow!

Brimary - I enjoy using these funny UK phrases, sometimes intentionally, to see if people from 'elsewhere' twig (is this one?) what I am getting at.  I often find difficulty in understanding US expressions, and don't get me going on names for things (pants, fanny, etc.)   Some I use are very old fashioned, and I am sure no one young would say 'doolally' for instance - I think it derives from a place in I believe India called Deolali, where everyone went barmy (is that a British expression?) for some reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, lincslady said:

mysty - Ow!

Loved the posting by mysty.  Isn't it nice that a store would offer that type of temperature check??  I'm sure that method is more "up close and personal", plus better accuracy?

On aging, below are a couple items that use comic voices of the past to make a point for getting older. 

1976954473_ScreenShot2020-08-02at9_02_12AM.png.52bc364dbc59f701be61e867a9b0d2a6.png

1967661403_ScreenShot2020-08-02at9_01_50AM.png.a728a8d36c0b3864b0551f40c6b6bbec.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

mysty - Ow!

Brimary - I enjoy using these funny UK phrases, sometimes intentionally, to see if people from 'elsewhere' twig (is this one?) what I am getting at.  I often find difficulty in understanding US expressions, and don't get me going on names for things (pants, fanny, etc.)   Some I use are very old fashioned, and I am sure no one young would say 'doolally' for instance - I think it derives from a place in I believe India called Deolali, where everyone went barmy (is that a British expression?) for some reason.

Fully understand your funny UK phrases being local to you .Keep them coming!

• Like 1

Forgive me for visiting the Silverseas board, I do not have a cruise booked with them. I have however been following the water cooler thread for some considerable time and just wanted to compliment everyone for an uplifting experience. 
We have a Regent cruise booked but because of the rather fractious nature of the Regent board I have spent more time on here.

So to add to Lincslady and brimary here is a little taste of my Home Counties dialect.

Ya gret apeth

Aye ave been t tarn.

Stop thi roaring tha s like a gret babbi.

Tha a reet bahmpot.

Al ave arf.

He belted me but al bi reit.

That a reet burk thi.

and finally

Pack thi cossie.

So in the interest of international relations I would like to invite our colonial friends 😉 to a challenge to translate.

A big thank you to everyone in the watercooler thread from my wife and I for hours of amusement and discussion. Long may it continue even after we start cruising again.

Hamilton for the win Lincslady.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Foggyzx9r said:

Forgive me for visiting the Silverseas board, I do not have a cruise booked with them. I have however been following the water cooler thread for some considerable time and just wanted to compliment everyone for an uplifting experience. 
We have a Regent cruise booked but because of the rather fractious nature of the Regent board I have spent more time on here.

So to add to Lincslady and brimary here is a little taste of my Home Counties dialect.

Ya gret apeth

Aye ave been t tarn.

Stop thi roaring tha s like a gret babbi.

Tha a reet bahmpot.

Al ave arf.

He belted me but al bi reit.

That a reet burk thi.

and finally

Pack thi cossie.

So in the interest of international relations I would like to invite our colonial friends 😉 to a challenge to translate.

A big thank you to everyone in the watercooler thread from my wife and I for hours of amusement and discussion. Long may it continue even after we start cruising again.

Hamilton for the win Lincslady.

WOW!  So many consonants and vowels in strings!  I cheated and googled.  I will not give the game away!  But HOLY WOW I would never have been able to translate the above without help!   Excellent brain teaser Foggy!  Thanks for joining in the fun!  We'll keep your Cooler Bar seat dusted for you!  😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Foggyzx9r said:

Forgive me for visiting the Silverseas board, I do not have a cruise booked with them.
We have a Regent cruise booked but because of the rather fractious nature of the Regent board I have spent more time on here.  A big thank you to everyone in the watercooler thread from my wife and I for hours of amusement and discussion. Long may it continue even after we start cruising again.

Super WELECOME to Foggyzx9r.  Glad you have both been dropping by and now posting.  Keep it up!!  Don't be shy.   We love those added comments, insights and sharing.  The only thing better than a post from someone in the UK is to be on a cruise and hearing those from that area talking.  Love to hear those voices and samples of wisdom from Great Britain, etc.  

Just been reading about how the Covid-19 virus is hitting parts of Australia.  Total shut-down in some areas.  Not good news for that area.  

Below is a bonus posting today.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 230,734 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

179331657_ScreenShot2020-08-02at12_40_39PM.png.609d6403e2cc23d7ec345c341c2e612d.png

• Haha 1

For Spins, Lois, etc., in Florida, it looks as if the hurricane (now downgraded to a tropical storm) is slowing down and staying somewhat farther off of the coast.  Maybe Florida will not get hit as hard as had been predicted??  Good luck!!  Below is the current radar view from AccuWeather.  

1137065479_ScreenShot2020-08-02at3_17_50PM.thumb.png.bc6dde64796c7966d9a7117bffcb0d3c.png

2 hours ago, brimary said:

Following TLC Ohio post re SS staff thought I would learn how to post with Photos.

Hope it works...here goes and enjoy the memories if it works!

Appreciate the reminder and encouragement from brimary.  Below are three visuals from July 2010 in doing our first cruise with Silversea.  It was 15 days from Copenhagen up the dramatic Norway coast to the North Cape, etc.  Great crew and amazing experience!!

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 240,023 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Below are three quick visuals involving the great Silversea staff.  First, while in one of the narrow fjords, here is super excellent Restaurant Manager Jorge Caeiro and Executive Chef Douglas Hope, from Canada.  Second is Cruise Director Jimmy Kovel as the Midnight Sun was starting to set (but did not happen as we were above the Arctic Circle).  Third was Silver Cloud Captain Mino Pontillo shown during an evening staff recognition program.  Had a couple of opportunities to talk with this Captain and was very impressed with his skill, knowledge and ability. Also on this cruise we got to know superb Hotel Manager Gianni Dotti.  He was a class act and too bad that he has since passed away.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

DSC_3057.jpeg.f7a1ae422a9c7a9b29b688bbf4f9c0fa.jpeg

DSC_2447.jpeg.059bb73a7c53a9a137a0c7a5e95c7b74.jpeg

DSC_3637.jpeg.764e9a4214cd6bdf2025c345097efb6f.jpeg

• Like 1

63374823-4B94-4771-AFEA-BA89D0416244.thumb.jpeg.3e696acdfd7161ae96f0f5b9d98e5793.jpegI see a photo of Jovi who was on our first Silversea cruise in 2010, on Siver Shadow. 
We met her in a bar the first night, then she served us afternoon tea the next afternoon and remembered our names.  So impressive.  I was looking at photos of that trip yesterday. 

We live near Melbourne where they have been put on stage 4 restrictions due to COVID with the first night curfew ever.  We are back to stage 3 here so not as confined and can still get out and exercise around our golf course and lake area. Our pools will be shut but golf course will remain open so we can’t be too sorry for ourselves. 

Like Foggy, we don’t have a SS cruise booked and have cancelled a Regent cruise from Vancouver to Tokyo and B2B Tokyo to Tokyo that we had been looking forward to. That makes me feel sad, but I can be glad that we have had the chance to travel. 
The Watercooler has kept me amused with all the jokes and I love hearing about everyone and their lives. 
Thanks everyone for all your posts. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Foggyzx9r said:

Tha a reet bahmpot

I can get them all except this one. 
We watched the series Broadchurch and then Vera last night and it took me 30 minutes to understand the accents without concentrating. 

Edited by jillyf
  • Haha 1